Moving on from a Ego to a ProVari and need help with purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davedice

Feb 21, 2012
LA
I have been using the Joyetech Ego-C for about 50 days and have decided that I am done w/ analogs for good and I am ready to invest in a ProVari. I want to make sure I get everything I need when it arrives.

First, here is a little about my vape habit. I like the tank system as I go through about 4ml a day. I like to vape about 3 different flavors a day. I currently tend to use one Ego-c cone and base and 2 tanks of menthol for my all day vape and then use the "spare" cone and base for the other flavors and rotate the tanks in and out as I see fit. I normally clean the head, base and cone between flavors by wiping clean with a napkin and after a few vapes the flavor comes through as I believe it should.

I hope the above describes how I vape enough to get the proper accessories I need. If you need more information please let me know. I currently do not drip as I don't know enough about it. When I do drip, the flavors have a tendency to run together as I switch them fairly frequently. I'm not opposed to dripping and I suspect that with the ProVari I'd like to get into it more. However, I feel I will be a tank guy the majority of the time.

So now come the items I am planning on getting and questions about them:
-Provari
Is provape still making the satin black w/ the blue light? Is the only difference w/ the mini the size and does it vape the same as the regular size?
-tanks
How many do I need? What brand? What size? What is the largest size you can buy a tank in and still have it fit snuggly w/o leaking on the ProVari? If I decide on a specific brand of tank are you now tied to that company's carts? Do you need to and can you clean the tanks to switch flavors? What about the carts?
-Carts
What brand? How many carts should I order to last me 2-3 months? Single coil or double coil? What is the difference in vape w/ either single or double? 3ohm or 1.5 ohms? What is the difference in regards to the ohms and vapping? Do I need to buy the tool to puncture the hole?
-Ego adapter
Do these work well? What brand? Will LR heads work on the ProVari? Can you only use the LR heads at 3.7 volts or risk blowing them out?
-AW 18490 IMR High Drain Batteries (2)
How many hours should each battery last? Do you think that I should get 1 18490 & 1 18650 (I ask this because I am already apprehensive about the size of the ProVari vs. the Ego)?
-Battery Charger
What brand? Is the Pila 4 stage charger worth the extra money?
-Drip tip
What brand? Metal or plastic?

In order to drip what do I need to buy?
I plan to keep the ProVari in my pocket. Do you foresee a problem with this? I am not "holster" type of guy and understand I will get some scratches on the unit.

If I have forgotten anything please clue me in.

Thank you in advance for your time and help w/ my questions. I really appreciate it.

DaveDice

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
I opened this one because I have a ProVari and thought I could answer, but see quite a bit here that is beyond me. I drip on my ProVari with either an I06 at 2.5 Ohms, with the I06 drip tip, or an HH.357 at 2.5 Ohms with a stainless 510 drip tip. Never had an eGo-C and don't plan to buy it, nor do I like cartomizers so most of the tanks are useless to me.

-ProVari
What they currently offer should be on their website and I would have no further insight.
A mini is smaller and uses a smaller battery. Smaller batteries have a smaller charge capacity. (mAh) The circuitry is the same.

-Tanks
Are we talking about the cartridge tanks like the eGo T & C or the cartomizer tanks? If you're talking about the cartridge type tanks and you have good performance from your eGo C's, then that would seem to be the way to go. If you're talking about the cartomizer tanks, see my next response for why I cannot even begin to answer this one.

-Carts
I think you are confusing cartridges, or "carts", with cartomizer, or "cartos". Carts hold liquid and atomizers vaporize liquid. Combine the two names and functions and you have a cartomizer also known as a carto. I think that all of them are horrible except for the Iken Gold V2 and I'm not even fond of that one, so I am the wrong person to offer much assistance with carto selection. Hopefully a vet who does like cartos will chime in with something better than me going "yuck" at you.

-Ego Adapter
I read "adapter" as a device that converts threading, so the inclusion of "heads" and resistances confuses me. In general if you are going to a variable voltage device then going with LR anything limits your ability to vary the wattage, by adjusting the voltage, which defeats the purpose of going with variable voltage. You can use anything you want, but the current limiting will cause E2 errors in a ProVari if the resistance is low in comparison with the selected voltage.

-AW IMR Batteries
A rough "ECF rule of thumb" is one hour of vaping per 100 mAh capacity. That is actually halved for myself, so take that for what you will.
Note that you will need the extension cap to use an 18650 on a ProVari, so if you want to use the larger capacity battery make sure you have the cap on your order so that you can use it. The size of a ProVari with extension cap is pretty slim in my hand, but if size is one of your hangups then maybe going with the mini is a better idea?

-Battery Charger
The Pila is a better charger and you can get a car adaptor for it. I have one and love it. I have no idea if it is worth your money. I just know it was worth my money.

-Drip Tip
Metal, plastic, glass, or ceramic? This depends on what you like to feel against your lips. There are very few plastics that feel right on mine, but there are some. I tend to lean toward stainless steel myself as aluminum is just slightly odd feeling. I am looking at glass and ceramic as I think those might be nice, but have yet to actually purchase one or the other. I'm not good with DT brands and usually just add one when I'm in the mood from whatever vendor's site I happen to be on ordering something else when the mood strikes.

All you need to drip is a good atomizer (non-T or C style) and a drip tip.

The only issue I've had with carrying the ProVari in my pocket is when the wife will fire it when she gets lovingly aggressive. If I see the super-happy-you're-home hug coming, I can turn my ProVari pocket away from the clench.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread