Not open for further replies.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
One of the reasons I'm very supportive of JAC is that they appear to have picked up where ProVape left off, where the customer is concerned. They definitely stand behind their product (at least) as well as anyone in the industry, and possibly "better than...".

These things too, are subjective. :)

Silka

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 18, 2015
Australia
I dont think we have a Jac retailer here in Oz, at least with Provari & now with Dicodes we have a store that can handle repairs & warranties - it can work out pricey to send things OS for repairs as we are so far away.
i would most likely buy a Jac if we had them here.
Also funny thing - the dicodes Stabwood are nearly $100 cheaper here than buying from CDV

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
If you enjoy the ProVari form factor there are many on ebay as well as the classys here. The Dicodes is likely the best tube mode as an alternative, though costly.

To match the smooth power the ProVari provides I would recommend a dna mod, but you will have to use wattage versus voltage, pretty common these days. As a starter that offers both volts and watts with good reliability an Innokin Coolfire 4 or an Innokin Ace (built in battery) still offer voltage adjustment. Good luck!

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
What is everyone doing about sourcing new 18490 batteries.... I have not been able to find any online.

This may push me toward an 18650 mod like the JAC
The AW 18490 is without a doubt the best 18490/18500 battery available. Unfortunately, word is that the AW plant suffered from a flood and the supplies worldwide suffered greatly. RTD Vapor was usually the best place to get authentic AW's. RTD got a small supply in recently but now I see they are out of stock again.

I'm sure that you know, Provari's require you to use a button top battery. Of the 18490 batteries at Batteries - 18490 Batteries - IMRbatteries.com only one of the Imren has button tops. As a battery manufacturer, Imren has a terrible reputation. If I were you, I'd wait for the AW's to get back in stock.

Last edited:

Nick L

Jan 15, 2015
Indiantown FL USA
I purchased a set of Efest batteries about eighteen months ago. I was rather disappointed in their performance.

Although not as robust as an AW, Efest 18490 button tops work fine in ProVari 2.5 and lower models and far exceed ProVari's built in amp limits.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio

NotSoMini

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2014
I am in need of some suggestions for replacement gear. I currently use a Provari 18490 powered APV topped with a Kabuki. I have had the same set up for the past three years. I purchased three complete sets but am down to the last one (one fell in the swimming pool and the second was stolen from my car).

Now that Provape has closed their doors, what would be a suitable equivalent? Durability, esthetics, overall quality

Would a Dicodes box mod meet my needs?
I am not averse to temperature control but it is not a necessity.

I am also considering taking the plunge and adding an RTA to my arsenal. Would a Kayfun Prime be a good choice?

TIA for your suggestions.

I too use my ProVaris with the AW 18490 batteries. Hoping that they will be back in business maybe sometime after the Chinese New Year or soon — time will tell. I do have one AWT flat top 18500 battery and it does work. I know nothing about the AWT and it was in a mod I purchased. I have experienced no issues using this.

As far as ProVari, Dicodes and Jac, I have all three. The Dicodes I have include the Dani Extreme v2 which is a tube mod although there is v3 now. Extensions are available that allow up to 18650 batteries. I also have their Dani Box. I have had no issues with both of these. The Dicodes mods are spendy though. I purchased mine from Crème De Vape in the UK and they provide excellent customer service along with Jac and ProVape even though they are no longer in business. I have one Jac Series-B DNA75 in black.

For myself I would rate the Dicodes the best in quality right up there with the ProVaris. As much as I like the Jac the magnets can fall out. In my case it was always a struggle to get the battery cover on and eventually the magnets fells out. When I glued them back in the cover no longer fit so this may have contributed to my struggles to get the door on and the magnets eventually falling out. In addition the finish on the battery cover started to wear off and I believe it has something to do with body chemistry but I don’t know this for a fact. You can always put a wrap on it though. Jac did send me a replacement mod and the battery door fits perfectly with no struggles however the finish on this cover also is wearing off. Most recently they sent me a battery cover but it was in the Sandstorm color and not the color of the battery cover. I found this disappointing because they originally told me it would be an exact match. You may never experience any issues with the Jac as there are many who have not had any problems. For the price you can’t go wrong. For quality Dicodes.

gtianz

ECF Veteran
I’m in this same boat right now. Been using provaris for years very happily - love my titanium w/kabuki and 1.8 ohm attys. Even bought a couple 2.5’s when they were closing down for $50 or so.

Make my own juice and it has always been completely dependable and trouble free.

Now I can’t source 18490 button top batteries (saw the reason why here). Decided I could employ the extension and use 18650 batteries.

I bought 5 of the highly rated 18650 Samsung batteries carelessly. Didn’t realize they weren’t button top.

So I decided to go ahead and buy a modern mod. I’m not thrilled with everything turning into box mods - but I’m happy with the pricing! Spent 2 days researching and settled on an aspire nx75s (in stainless steel) + new aspire tank (Phoenix maybe?).

I’m looking forward to checking out some sub ohm vaping and joining the modern world. Might buy some new .7 ohm nautilus coils and try them on the new device in the kabuki as well.

Edit: I was very tempted by those absolutely beautiful dicodes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread