Musicians check in here. If you play, tell us about it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

underwhelmd

ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2014
Canada
521370_490055527676606_977392918_n.jpg

LOL...

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
We had 3500 folks in the audience at the Rockwall(TX) concert by the lake Jul 16.
Didn't run anybody off. The audience demanded an encore.

I don't have any edited video yet.

Here's a bad (crappy overdriven camcorder mic) recording of a wounded veterans benefit:
The edits and transitions are cheesy. That's what happens when you let a guitar-boy do it.
The mains sounded great. Excellent sound crew.
Note the Leslie 122 house left behind the keyboards...

Good Stuff, Hypnophone. From personal experience, if the Video sounds that good on my laptop, the performance was killer to the live audience :cool:.

skrymir

Jul 14, 2015
Canada
I'm a singer. I used to get paid (mainly church gigs a couple paid choirs and the odd solo work) here and there for a few extra k each year but no so much anymore because of time constraints. My love is early music (baroque and renaissance) but sing anything and everything if given the chance (except rap... but that's not really singing).

Hypnophone

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2011
FEMA Region VI
Howdy Dave!

I just ran the cheesy camcorder recording of the Rockwall gig for my close friends. They are all accomplished guitarists.
They tell me that we are some badazzes. I don't know about that. We just try to be accurate...
Nobody puked... Nobody ran away...
The audience demanded an encore.

When I have some usable stuff, I'll terrorize y'all with it.

wooHoo!

Good Stuff, Hypnophone. From personal experience, if the Video sounds that good on my laptop, the performance was killer to the live audience :cool:.

Last edited:

eddiea

ECF Veteran
Sep 8, 2014
Laguna Niguel, CA USA
I started playing guitar at around 14 yrs old (I started piano much earlier than that). I've been in several bands over the years and have performed in various clubs/venues back in the day. I started with an Ibanez Futura (a remake of a Gibson Modern), then got a Jackson King V Randy Rhoads Edition in red, and later bought another Jackson (it was a JS32-style I believe) in metallic blue. Below is my current axe...a Jackson in Snow White with a Floyd Rose which I've had since 2011. I still play when I have the time.

TR5dlZv.jpg

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Sorry y'all, but somebody has to do it...

I hate it when classically trained musicians form a band and feel the need to show off their 32nd note solos. Well, I enjoy the music, but it's impossible to cover most of them. What do those guys do ... sit around and practice licks 24/7? Probably. Sheesh!

I used to sit around and try to copy Chicago fill licks and solos. I was able to do a respectable job on most of those, but Yes? Nah!

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I started playing guitar at around 14 yrs old (I started piano much earlier than that). I've been in several bands over the years and have performed in various clubs/venues back in the day. I started with an Ibanez Futura (a remake of a Gibson Modern), then got a Jackson King V Randy Rhoads Edition in red, and later bought another Jackson (it was a JS32-style I believe) in metallic blue. Below is my current axe...a Jackson in Snow White with a Floyd Rose which I've had since 2011. I still play when I have the time.

TR5dlZv.jpg

Nice Axe! But, the tuning pegs are upside down!

Reactions: KattMamma

eddiea

ECF Veteran
Sep 8, 2014
Laguna Niguel, CA USA
Nice Axe! But, the tuning pegs are upside down!
Thanks Dave. Yes (I believe you meant the peghead itself...not the tuning pegs alone), mine is the R version which has the reverse headstock. It's a different look indeed compared to the traditional style.

pQTG726.jpg

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Thanks Dave. Yes (I believe you meant the peghead itself...not the tuning pegs alone), mine is the R version which has the reverse headstock. It's a different look indeed compared to the traditional style.

pQTG726.jpg

Different is good. I've played my Les Pauls so many years that when I start to restring my Strat, it feels odd to have all the tuners on one side ...

eddiea

ECF Veteran
Sep 8, 2014
Laguna Niguel, CA USA
Different is good. I've played my Les Pauls so many years that when I start to restring my Strat, it feels odd to have all the tuners on one side ...
Yeah and the pegs on Strats are a lot closer together than your Les Paul too...those string winders come in handy don't they! I'm sure your Strat can pump out some sweet tones. When I hear "Strat" I immediately think of Malmsteen, Trower, and Clapton (and not the coil either haha), and when I hear "Les Paul" I think of Jimmy Page. All legends in their own time...each of their styles and sound are one-of-a-kind. One of my best friends while growing up had a Les Paul, and coincidentally he's from GA too.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Yeah and the pegs on Strats are a lot closer together than your Les Paul too...those string winders come in handy don't they! I'm sure your Strat can pump out some sweet tones. When I hear "Strat" I immediately think of Malmsteen, Trower, and Clapton (and not the coil either haha), and when I hear "Les Paul" I think of Jimmy Page. All legends in their own time...each of their styles and sound are one-of-a-kind. One of my best friends while growing up had a Les Paul, and coincidentally he's from GA too.

Yeah, there's definitely associations with different guitar models. Hendrix, Stevie Ray, and Clapton with the Strat and Page with the Les Paul, not to mention Duane Allman and Dickie Betts. As a teenager I grew up listening to all of them and figuring out their licks the best I could.

Reactions: eddiea

KattMamma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2015
DFW Area, Texas
Sammy Hagar's Les Paul!!

I remember it was stolen while he was in Dallas for the Texas Jam (81? 82?). Dallas police recovered it, and the next year he played it at the Jam, then told the story about recovering it, and said it would never be stolen again. The he proceeded to do a Hendrix-style smashing of the guitar to bits, piling it up, and setting it on fire. The crowd went crazy LOL.

Always loved the Red Rocker, but Van Hagar - eh, not so much.

Hypnophone

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2011
FEMA Region VI
I know what you mean DaveP! I don't have have problem with guys like that showing off their chops. The 32nd note solos do get a little monotonous (Al Dimeloa/Return to Chick Corea's Mahavishnu Freak out, etc) BUT it's still good stuff. A competent player that can listen to what's going on around them impresses me more than the woo-hoo guys. That's how you make your band sound like a band instead of a bunch of master-baiters.

You know, it's kinda interesting to see what the kidseses are saying these days. I may have to terrorize y'all more often.

I hate it when classically trained musicians form a band and feel the need to show off their 32nd note solos. Well, I enjoy the music, but it's impossible to cover most of them. What do those guys do ... sit around and practice licks 24/7? Probably. Sheesh!

I used to sit around and try to copy Chicago fill licks and solos. I was able to do a respectable job on most of those, but Yes? Nah!

Hypnophone

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2011
FEMA Region VI
Sammy Hagar's Les Paul!!

I remember it was stolen while he was in Dallas for the Texas Jam (81? 82?). Dallas police recovered it, and the next year he played it at the Jam, then told the story about recovering it, and said it would never be stolen again. The he proceeded to do a Hendrix-style smashing of the guitar to bits, piling it up, and setting it on fire. The crowd went crazy LOL.

Always loved the Red Rocker, but Van Hagar - eh, not so much.
I was at that Texxas Jam. I remember the stolen Paul. I don't remember the destruction part...
What a phorkhead.

KattMamma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2015
DFW Area, Texas
I was at that Texxas Jam. I remember the stolen Paul. I don't remember the destruction part...
What a phorkhead.
He destroyed it the following year.

I don't know what a phorkhead is, but it sounds like a diss to Sammy so I can't like your post.

The year it was stolen - was that the same year Ozzy played and pulled off his wig to show a bald head?

Sammy played nearly every Jam and I still love his old stuff!

Reactions: Hypnophone

suspectK

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
Alabummer
Well, I regret not being in Chicago for the dead..having a 22 month old makes things difficult, but Trey did a great job captivating Jerry in the show I listened to..much better than the last time I saw him with Phil..

I wish jam bands would start popping up more. I thought Sound Tribe Sector 9 would've been the next big improv band, but they started playing less and less improv after '06&'07... 5 people that aren't the best musicians to start with, but really show what chemistry is with live music production.

Main reason I still haven't implemented a computer with my solo stuff...you can make-up the most complicated riffs, but what's the point if it's generic or forced to be in there? I use to be anti-people with music, but I don't see me really wanting to pursue anything but improv..finally got a new drummer. He's better, but less experienced, than the drummer I thought I was going somewhere with...till he moved unexpectedly. Finally had a loud session with a speaker at my house. The 2x10 cab had one speaker blown..so need to try to catch this one on fire too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread