Must have flavors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chiisaiinu

• Apr 20, 2022
    Tacoma, WA USA
    Hey all,

I am of course new to DIYing, and after looking at lord knows how many recipes I am a bit overwhelmed by the sheer volume of flavors you would need to do a few "simple" recipes. I have a little over a dozen 10-30ml bottles of flavorings but it seems like not enough to try any recipe. I suppose that means I will have to get creative. That said I would like to ask the "pro's" what flavoring must have's should I aquire. I understand it is a bit subjective to tastes but none the less I would like some insight.

smacuser

Total Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    If you want to know what the best sellers are, you could go to a popular online retailer (like BCF) and sort from there.

As well, you can go to e-liquid Recipes and click on the Resources tab, then Flavor List tab, then sort by Recipes.

4B7B542C-955C-43B6-8826-C629453CEE03.png

Also, the more experienced mixer will use 2 or more single flavors to create a more accurate flavor, such as Strawberry Ripe (TFA) mixed with Sweet Strawberry (CAP).

Last edited:

Chiisaiinu

• Apr 20, 2022
    Tacoma, WA USA
    If you want to know what the best sellers are, you could go to a popular online retailer (like BCF) and sort from there.

As well, you can go to e-liquid Recipes and click on the Resources tab, then Flavor List tab, then sort by Recipes.

View attachment 973194

Also, the more experienced mixer will use 2 or more single flavors to create a more accurate flavor, such as Strawberry Ripe (TFA) mixed with Sweet Strawberry (CAP).
    Thanks for your reply. I am currently sticking with TFA and CAP until I get a better feel for the flavor offerings of each vendor. I have also gone over that list but it seems its more of a review of each flavor. What I was more looking for was a short list of flavors veterans feel every new person should have. For example if someone said "Vanilla, custard, strawberry" this doesn't mean these are the only flavors I should ever use. but perhaps their versatility is so broad they should be kept on hand. A novice such as myself would just have to guess.

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 19, 2019
    USA
    It's easy to fall into the let's get a bunch of stuff that you can use in multiple recipes or at least you think you can but what ends up happening with that sort of random selection of flavors at the beginning anyway you end up with not enough to do any one recipe and a whole lot of flavors that don't seem to go into anything even though you thought they would. Like I was amazed when I put in all of my like 50 flavors on the website and it came back with like two things I could make and they were both like two flavor e-juices that sounded extremely unappealing to me. So if that's what you're after two flavored e-juice is none of this may apply.

Then someone told me on a DIY e-juice thread to pick a few recipes that sound like something that I would usually vape and get all of those flavs. And even if you don't like the recipe you just made you can play with it until you do most likely but you will have all of the things that they said you needed. And when looking for a recipe that you think you'll like check the ratings especially if you're using ELR try to find something that a variety of people have said that they enjoy.

I don't know if that's going to work better for you but it did for me. Of course I couldn't resist and even when I did pick out like three recipes and purchase every one of the flavor concentrates I would need I still added flavors that I just like to try out or that sounded good but at least I had something I could make that multiple people on an e-juice website had said taste good when mixed in a certain way lol

smacuser

Total Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    Thanks for your reply. I am currently sticking with TFA and CAP until I get a better feel for the flavor offerings of each vendor. I have also gone over that list but it seems its more of a review of each flavor. What I was more looking for was a short list of flavors veterans feel every new person should have. For example if someone said "Vanilla, custard, strawberry" this doesn't mean these are the only flavors I should ever use. but perhaps their versatility is so broad they should be kept on hand. A novice such as myself would just have to guess.
    We’ll, I suppose you picked your first flavors (and TFA and CAP are great first choices) based on what appeals to you, of course. You can enter those on ELR and it will make suggestions based on what other users have made. After a while you will begin to notice flavors that keep reappearing that you don’t already have.

Generally, what flavors are you gravitating towards? That will help us out with what and what not to suggest.

Last edited:

rosesense

14 years and counting
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jan 1, 2010
    TN
    Just saying welcome from a former Tacoman. I lived there for 44 years and will return in a couple years.

I agree with AvaOrchid about picking recipes first and getting flavors for those. Otherwise, you will get a million 'must haves' from folks on ecf. We are all different. For instance, I prefer flavors by SSA.

If you haven't checked on DIYorDie, I recommend them. He lists some that everyone should have and a ton of other information and recipes. Good starting point. Wayne is also good about answering specific questions about recipes and such when he has time.

Chiisaiinu

• Apr 20, 2022
    Tacoma, WA USA
    We’ll, I suppose you picked your first flavors (and TFA and CAP are great first choices) based on what appeals to you, of course. You can enter those on ELR and it will make suggestions based on what other users have made. After a while you will begin to notice flavors that keep reappearing that you don’t already have.

Generally, what flavors are you gravitating towards? That will help us out with what and what not to suggest.
    Honestly I just picked a few flavors that didnt seem odd. When I see flavors like Cactus, Everclear, ect I just couldn't picture that turning out well. Looking through this forum some of those same flavors apparently work very well in some recipes. As far as flavors I would say sweet, and no menthols. Currently I have Carmel, Bavarian cream, cinnamon sugar cookie, gummi bear, bubblegum(after smelling I have regrets), Graham Cracker, toasted marshmellow, Horchata, apple tart, Berry Mix, honey, cotton candy, banana cream, French vanilla, and cheesecake. I suppose that's a bit pointless to tell, but perhaps a pro such as yourself may see some common factor. I obviously will need to pick up a few more flavors to make an existing recipe, these are just what I grabbed in the heat of the moment so to speak.

Chiisaiinu

• Apr 20, 2022
    Tacoma, WA USA
    Just saying welcome from a former Tacoman. I lived there for 44 years and will return in a couple years.

I agree with AvaOrchid about picking recipes first and getting flavors for those. Otherwise, you will get a million 'must haves' from folks on ecf. We are all different. For instance, I prefer flavors by SSA.

If you haven't checked on DIYorDie, I recommend them. He lists some that everyone should have and a ton of other information and recipes. Good starting point. Wayne is also good about answering specific questions about recipes and such when he has time.
    I really appreciate the feedback. I do know of DIYorDie I will go look for said video and see what he comes up with. At this point I dont have a prefernce about brands.. more flavors. I get that each companies Vanilla(just an example) tastes different, however until I pull off a few usable batches, I think just getting the basics down should be priority.

FranC

Long time vaper.
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I really appreciate the feedback. I do know of DIYorDie I will go look for said video and see what he comes up with. At this point I dont have a prefernce about brands.. more flavors. I get that each companies Vanilla(just an example) tastes different, however until I pull off a few usable batches, I think just getting the basics down should be priority.
    If you go to the random DIY thread there is a blog there that has a long list of recipes from the folks on the thread.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    The Forest
    @Chiisaiinu, I would recommend checking out the Random Mixing and More thread. It easily sees the most daily DIY traffic compared to any other thread on ECF.

You would likely get more answers to the questions you are asking in this thread and your other one.

Random DIY mixing and More

Just jump right in and post! :D

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    When you click on to diyordie click on play lists and scroll down to Noted, click on play list scroll to find the flavors they are chatting about/reviewing to get good notes on what you have and get ideas how to use them. Great bunch there.

smacuser

Total Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    Honestly I just picked a few flavors that didnt seem odd. When I see flavors like Cactus, Everclear, ect I just couldn't picture that turning out well. Looking through this forum some of those same flavors apparently work very well in some recipes. As far as flavors I would say sweet, and no menthols. Currently I have Carmel, Bavarian cream, cinnamon sugar cookie, gummi bear, bubblegum(after smelling I have regrets), Graham Cracker, toasted marshmellow, Horchata, apple tart, Berry Mix, honey, cotton candy, banana cream, French vanilla, and cheesecake. I suppose that's a bit pointless to tell, but perhaps a pro such as yourself may see some common factor. I obviously will need to pick up a few more flavors to make an existing recipe, these are just what I grabbed in the heat of the moment so to speak.
    Don’t be turned off right away with the smell of some of these flavors right out of the bottle. These will mature with age, some of them contain alcohol that will eventually evaporate. Just watch out for the honey, a lot of folks are reminded of cat piss (odor wise) once vaped.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread