muted flavor from dud

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirtyrigger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Hello all. I got a dud about 2 or 3 weeks ago and it's my first rebuildable. I feel like I've got all the bugs e except one worked out. My could keep consistent around 1.8 ohm and i don't feel our taste any dry hits but the flavor seems muted compared to my drip atty and even cartos. I'm using the mesh that came with it and i drilled out the air hole to improve vapor and throat hit. Even using tape to reduce the air hole (thinking a richer mix) doesn't help. It's does the thread count of the mesh affect flavor or am i missing something? I was really hoping this would be a tank with drip atty performance. Thanks in advance.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
how are the coils lighting up? like when you first coiled it and fired it up before adding juice to the tank were the coils all firing evenly? because if not and just one coil is firing then that could be a problem. what gauge wire are you using and how many volts are you pushing that 1.8ohm coil to? to me it sounds like a wicking issue. if you really tilt back the device and vape a couple times does it enhance the flavor? by really tilting it the wick will completely get saturated with the juice, if you notice a difference with the big tilt then it could be a wicking issue. make sure that when you tilt it way back that you are tilting it towards the wick. also with the dud try to line up the wick and the hole.

dirtyrigger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I used my drill to mark the location of the wick hole to make it easy to line up with the air hole, which is always pointed down. I hold my PV parallel to the ground or close to when hitting it, i also permanently remove the screw from the fill hole to let air in the tank to help wicking. I had a lot of dry hits when it was new, before i leaned how to roll the wicks well, and I'm not getting dry hits anymore. Vapor production is very good and throat hit is right where i like it, I'm just not getting the same flavor intensity i do from my other devices.

Also I'm using 32ga kanthal, 5 wraps, season the wire on my gas stove before wrapping and i typically run 3.9 to 4.2 volts.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
sounds like all is working well, could be the juice also. i have a DID and most of the time it is great. but i just got a juice that is great, but it just dont work well with the set-up. maybe it is too sweet. it will work great for a few vapes then no flavor. but if i over tilt the mod i will again get a good flavor, but it is not consistant. i think the sugars in the juice sort of clog up the wick, so by over tilting the device the juice will then wick a little better. but by over tilting the device it then floods the wick. i have tried to alter the wick configurations by rolling different meshes and different tightnesses. just cant get this juice to taste good in the DID. if i put it into a cartomizer, no problems. so to me it sound like a wicking issue. if your wick is not getting totally saturated it will effect the flavor . is it just one particular flavor you are having a problem with? depending on what pg/vg ratio of the juice maybe a different mesh? for me i find the 270 mesh works good with my vg juices. i do have some 500 mesh on the way, have heard very good things on the 500mesh. cant wait to try it. now i really cant speak much on the DUD because i dont have one, and i am not sure of the dimentions, but for my DID i use 28g wire and do 4 wraps to get to about 0.08 to 1.0 ohms, really low resistances and have found that the flavor and vapor much better than a higher ohmed coil with thinner wire. so try over tilting the device for a while to see if it changes the flavor.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread