Status
Not open for further replies.

Dana A

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 25, 2012
Iowa
Can the battery in the MVP be replaced when it stops holding a good charge? If not why would someone want to buy one? It would be a throw away unit. I love the spinners but I just cannot bring myself to buy any throw away unit so I don't have one and it's half the price of the MVP. Not trying to be a smarty pants here just asking. It seems like the MVP is really really popular right now. Am I missing something? I am a buy once cry once type of person so maybe it's just mostly just me but I don't understand it. Please help me to get it.:confused:

DetraMental

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2013
United States
It's just one of many options out there for people to buy. I wanted to try a box style mod but couldn't afford a REO so the MVP was a nice one to do just that. It got great reviews and I figure for the price if it last me a year I will get my money out of it. It has some great features that will allow me to get accustomed to any new thing coming out without breaking the bank. The fact that it'll charge phones and other apple products is a bonus. Some people do know how to repair the mod, there are youtube tutorials on how to fix them. They are contained batteries but this doesn't make it a throw away. I've heard problems with mods that have the external batteries as well. If you have the budget you may want to look at the provari, I don't have one but have heard rave reviews about it and it's warranty plus it can be repaired for decent prices. It does not have the variable wattage or the ability to charge a phone. I don't know if that matters. It really depends on what you want and your budget. Get what you want, that's what matters.

Last edited:

Fulgurant

ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
Philadelphia, PA, USA
Look at it this way: A 1000mah ego-c Twist battery costs about $26. People who use those devices typically buy two so that they can charge batteries in a rotation.

So that's $52. Each of those batteries is supposed to have a useful life of 300 full-charge cycles. That is, and if we assume that 100mah is roughly equivalent to an hour of vaping, each battery should give you at least 300 * 10 = 3,000 hours, or 6,000 hours total if you have two batteries. 6,000 hours is 250 24-hour days, so given that the average human being spends a fair amount of time sleeping or otherwise engrossed in activities that don't allow consistent vaping, those two batteries should last well more than a year of typical use.

As I recall, an MVP has a 2600mah battery, which gives us a rough-estimate lifespan of 300 * 26 = 7800 hours, or 325 24-hour days -- or well more than our previously guesstimated "well more than a year." ;)

So a single MVP should give you significantly more use than the two ego twists, and it should also give you markedly more functionality to boot. An MVP kit, including clearo, costs roughly $60.

It's not a bad deal by any stretch. The replaceability of the battery isn't an end in itself.

Dana A

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 25, 2012
Iowa
OK guys, I could never afford an I phone. Really though you can't replace the battery on the I phone????? Didn't know that. I probably cannot afford it cause I have 3 provaris. I guess that makes a lot of sense about being able to try out the advanced features at a low price. Like I said I wasn't trying to be snarky. I really was wondering. I wasn't sure if the battery could be changed or not. So can you get a new battery for the I phone? It would seem to be a throw away unit if you couldn't.

DKP#

ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2012
Missouri, USA
It's not just you. I don't get it either. I went with an SVD for longevity and quality replacement batteries with >500 cycles for ~$12. It did cost more but I consider it an investment. Hopefully it will last me through several batteries. Even if it only lasts through 2 batteries it'll end up being the same cost as the MVP.

Dana A

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 25, 2012
Iowa
It means I spent all my play money on Provari's and different skins for them. That was all my play money for a looooong time. My husband has a smart phone from his work and I barely even know how to run the thing. I play with it sometimes. It's pretty cool and I would love one but I am a stay home mom so I could never justify spending that kind of money on a phone when I am usually home. I am not a 3 provari type either. I think I am addicted to them. I got the 2nd for backup and then the 3rd one because it had a green LED and it was used so cheaper. I may need shock therapy!

B1sh0p

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2013
Chicago
It means I spent all my play money on Provari's and different skins for them. That was all my play money for a looooong time. My husband has a smart phone from his work and I barely even know how to run the thing. I play with it sometimes. It's pretty cool and I would love one but I am a stay home mom so I could never justify spending that kind of money on a phone when I am usually home. I am not a 3 provari type either. I think I am addicted to them. I got the 2nd for backup and then the 3rd one because it had a green LED and it was used so cheaper. I may need shock therapy!

You make a thread asking why people would buy a $50 disposable that lasts at least a year and then brag about spending $750 on 3 battery tubes? This is one bizarre thread.

I don't think MVP owners are worried about the longevity of a $50 mod. We like that it lasts 3 or 4 days between charges and has all the features of any other VW APV, while being extremely well built.

the_vape_nerd

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2011
New Orleans, LA
I've heard this a lot before. I've had an mvp now for 9 months and the battery works just as fine as it did when new. If it goes out and I need a new one, 50-70$ is fine for a WHOLE YEAR of vaping.

The idea of not having to take the thing apart and switch batteries out is often thought of as a negative. I'm here to tell you it very much is a positive. Plug it into a usb before you go to bed and night, unplug in the morning. DONE. And you only need to do that every other day.

Why would you NOT own an mvp?? lol

the_vape_nerd

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2011
New Orleans, LA
It's not just you. I don't get it either. I went with an SVD for longevity and quality replacement batteries with >500 cycles for ~$12. It did cost more but I consider it an investment. Hopefully it will last me through several batteries. Even if it only lasts through 2 batteries it'll end up being the same cost as the MVP.

yah but the svd makes you look like a baton twirler at the begining of a parade...i have both the svd and the mvp....i like the svd performance wise but i dont want to carry around something the size of a baby's arm while im driving in traffic or in public so a bunch of mongs can say "hey nice vibrator"

B1sh0p

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2013
Chicago
I can leave my house for days at a time and not have to worry about how many batteries I need, an extra case and a charger. I leave with my APV and a full tank, that's it. It's liberating.

The only thing the MVP can't do is push watts, which I don't care about. I'm not as much of a hobbyist as I am a practical vaper. I never need to go near 10 watts.

Landosnotasystem

ECF Veteran
May 5, 2013
Omaha, NE
Another factor for my MVP, I have an Android phone, so I already have MicroUSB cables/chargers scattered everywhere. For me, a proprietary (not that 18650s don't have other uses, but I don't have a flashlight fetish or shelf full of mods) charger would be one more thing to carry around. I have an ego passthrough that I like for the same reason. I would have to hunt for my actual ego charger since usb is so convenient.
And being able to use the mod to charge a phone sealed the deal for me.

DKP#

ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2012
Missouri, USA
yah but the svd makes you look like a baton twirler at the begining of a parade...i have both the svd and the mvp....i like the svd performance wise but i dont want to carry around something the size of a baby's arm while im driving in traffic or in public so a bunch of mongs can say "hey nice vibrator"

lol. I don't get out of the house much and do have my twists if portability is gonna be a problem. I think I liked the Light saber analogy better.:blush:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I own two Provari's and could easily get by without another mod. Visiting my local B & M I noticed the sales staff were all vaping either a RDA on a mechanical or using an MVP. I wondered what the appeal for the MVP was, too. Then I won my own MVP in a raffle drawing. NOW I GET IT.

This little unit is extremely versatile. It is pocket-friendly, durably built, light-weight, and comfortable to hold in your hand. To me, it has a classy sophisticated look to it - not like something from a head shop or a woman's sex toy like most tube mods do. If anything it looks like a large cell phone or remote control. I got nearly 3 days between charges. It also serves as a passthru.

And yes, I charged my cell phone with it once just to see if it would. I prefer using the MVP in the car rather than my Mini Provari, because being flat-sided I can lay it on the passenger seat and it not roll out of my reach. Unlike my Mini, which I resorted to laying on my lap while driving. I don't wish to admit how many times I've forgotten its there and dropped it on the driveway getting out of the car.

I used the MVP as much as my Provari's, and anyone who knows me on ECF knows how I love my Provari's. It is fitting for a novice as well as an advanced user. It is equally comfortable to use at home as away. For $50 this is a steal. This mod deserves "Mod of the Year" nominations IMO.

* Added: To answer the question "Why buy a mod that uses a non-replaceable battery?", if one factors in that a novice doesn't have to buy multiple separate batteries AND a charger, the MVP is less expensive to purchase than a mod that uses replaceable batteries and will need multiple batteries and a charger. It can be used as a passthru which is a plus for many novices who may not have a backup to use.

Also consider the durability and expected life expectancy of most of the Chinese-made mods in this price category. How many Vamo's, VMaxes, Lava Tubes, Smoktech VV Grippers, etc are still in service after 1.5 years in use? If someone gets more than a year out of a Chinese made mod, they got their money's worth and more.

Last edited:

Penn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2013
In the wilderness
To answer the question -

Directly replacing the battery in the MVP the way you do in most "mods" is not going to happen. The batteries aren't tubes. I saw one disassembled and the only way I can think of to describe it is like 2 large ketchup packs.

I don't know or care if you can get those batteries. I've already determined if the electronics in this live past the battery life, I will take the guts of the MVP v2 and transplant them into my own true mod with either two 18650's or one 26650.

Joie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 7, 2012
Illinois
Very good feedback.....I am going to order one because I too willnot go out in public vaping on a flashlight!!!!
I have some EGo's and a new Itaste V3.....and if the MVP can come close to the V3 then I will be very happy with it. Love that I don't need to know what volts to set for my coils that all range between 1.8 and 2.5.....just set watts and forget it. If the MVP has the same setup I am ordering soon.
And I agree....complaining about a $50 unit when you have $700+ tied up in Provari's in very weird indeed !!!! All the rechargeable batteries for the Provari they need for 3 of them is in the $50 range for a year and throw away when done too ....so I am confused.

Ch!pDasRipp3r

ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2013
Pennsylvania
I can leave my house for days at a time and not have to worry about how many batteries I need, an extra case and a charger. I leave with my APV and a full tank, that's it. It's liberating.

The only thing the MVP can't do is push watts, which I don't care about. I'm not as much of a hobbyist as I am a practical vaper. I never need to go near 10 watts.

Version 2 can actually push watts, but as you said, I'm more practical than hobbyist as well!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread