My brief DIY experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sk25411

ECF Veteran
Sep 8, 2017
San Diego, California
Well, I like things simple, and I LOVE things cheap, so I started with DIY a few weeks ago with some TFA flavors.

I’m only MTL using nautilus and Nautilus 2, both with 1.8 coils, on a Zelos mod, or innokin coolfire pebble.

I learned a few things about my tastes!

1. I can’t vape fruits! Even at a low %, I just get this nasty sore throat that I’ve never gotten before. So, no go on the fruit selection I tried.

2. Unflavored 50/50, 12mg is very doable for me. I enjoy it, and am glad I now have a ton on hand.

3. I love Tribeca, so I have 2 60ml of TFA ry4 double at 10% steeping, can’t wait! I did one small sample, shake and vape. It’s good enough to vape, and gets better every day. Looking forward to my big bottles aged goodness.

4. Capella cool mint stand alone is great. Mixed up some at 5%, and it was very good. Steeping doesn’t seem to effect it, and it’s going to be in a tank for me all the time.

Anyone have any other suggestions for a simple, stand alone ADV to try out?

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
I'm just like you are sk25411. I dislike most all fruit, caramel, butterscotch, coffee, sour and many others. Either I get headaches from the composition of the concentrate or the taste is just too chemical for my liking. Some flavors I just can't stand the smell of anymore. Thats why I vape 98% tobacco vapes and 2% other flavors and the other flavors pretty much are cola, grape and a bit of watermelon. I've won several contests that were concentrate winners and try making small batch and just simply...YUK. I spend my time refining my tobacs cause I also despise the ashy, dirty or licking a ashtray tasting tobacs.
Your not alone.......lol

Bosco

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2012
San Antonio
Yeah . I'm super picky about flavors and have never found a fruit or candy vape that I've liked. It's too chemical/perfume tasting for me. Definitely get headaches, real or imagined, from the really floral ones.

I also dislike tobacco vapes. I used to like RY4 and loved Tribeca . .but now I hate them. I still like that basic profile, though - just without the tobacco. Creamy, custardy, vanilla, caramel, etc is my jam these days.

PJReid

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
If you like cool mint, you will LOVE this. I wish I could take credit for it but it originally came from @Sgt.Rock via @Tmebs. The original version went through many modifications as Sgt.Rock refined it. I looked up every single one, which took hours. The recipe from @Tmebs is (which he named Rock de Menthe:)

All TFA
2% Menthol
2% Koolada
7% Creme de Menthe
8% Sweet Cream
1-2% Toasted Marshmallow

I played it with a bit, starting with that one and refined it to my taste:
Again, all TFA flavors: (Toasted Marshmallow contains Acetyl Propionyl, a Dikone which is probably fine but I try to avoid)
http://..................../recipe/1871210/Rock de Menthe with Marshmallow#
2% Menthol (or your own menthol crystals dissolved in PG as a 10% solution)
7% Creme de Menthe
1.5% DX Marshmallow
8% DX Sweet Cream
2% Koolada

My latest version of Rock de Menthe is heavier on the menthol and lighter on the Koolada:
TFA Flavors
3% Menthol
8% Creme de Menthe
1.5% DX Marshmallow
7% Sweet Cream
1% Koolada

Sgt.Rock's last version was 7.5% Creme de Menthe and 7.5% Sweet Cream - keeping it simple.

This is a shake and vape recipe - no steeping required. I usually put the bottle into a coffee mug of hot water, leave it there until the water is cool, then shake it well again. I have never tried the last one but the others are all golden. If you like menthols, I have another that is quite wonderful. I hate fruits too - shame really. I was excited about menthol strawberry, blackberry, blueberry - none of that makes me happy. Rock de Menthe is IT! My son, not a menthol smoker, LOVES it too! I still have unopened purchased e-juice that I loved for over 4 years and haven't vaped since I made this.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
A lot of my first DIY goes was putting mint into some of the commercial juices I had on hand and that was quite successful, I love mint but not the menthol part. I was trying to use up some of the gazillion bottles of vendor juices by changing them with some of the concentrates I was buying, that didn't last long cause its the sweeteners in those juices that was the main problem of my constant thirst issues. Once I went into full DIY, those oversweet vendor juices became unpalatable and I did give them all away. My 24/7 parched drymouth constant thirst that I drank gallons of water all day and up pizzing all night disappeared almost instantly after I began vaping my home brew juices that I add no sweetener too.

sk25411

ECF Veteran
Sep 8, 2017
San Diego, California
A lot of my first DIY goes was putting mint into some of the commercial juices I had on hand and that was quite successful, I love mint but not the menthol part. I was trying to use up some of the gazillion bottles of vendor juices by changing them with some of the concentrates I was buying, that didn't last long cause its the sweeteners in those juices that was the main problem of my constant thirst issues. Once I went into full DIY, those oversweet vendor juices became unpalatable and I did give them all away. My 24/7 parched drymouth constant thirst that I drank gallons of water all day and up pizzing all night disappeared almost instantly after I began vaping my home brew juices that I add no sweetener too.

I’m going to try this CAP cool mint exclusively for a few days and see if it helps with the dry mouth you’re describing!

I love mint too, but not really a menthol fan. I just got a 4oz bottle of cool mint as a free upgrade with my other purchase, so I’m stoked that I like it.

Any other mint recommendations?

PJReid

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
I’m going to try this CAP cool mint exclusively for a few days and see if it helps with the dry mouth you’re describing!

I love mint too, but not really a menthol fan. I just got a 4oz bottle of cool mint as a free upgrade with my other purchase, so I’m stoked that I like it.

Any other mint recommendations?

Try the Creme de Menthe with just Koolada and no menthol. Some non-menthol people like a bit of menthol of their juice, but I think Rock de Menthe would be great without the menthol.

sk25411

ECF Veteran
Sep 8, 2017
San Diego, California
Try the Creme de Menthe with just Koolada and no menthol. Some non-menthol people like a bit of menthol of their juice, but I think Rock de Menthe would be great without the menthol.

Ordered the ingredients for rock de menthe (minus the menthol). Looking forward to trying it out!

Also ordered a caramel, vanilla, pina colada, harvest berry, double apple, and watermelon.

I’m thinking of retrying some fruits at a real low %, with inw natural mint, or cap cool mint!

Thanks for the suggestions!

Reactions: PJReid

PJReid

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
Ordered the ingredients for rock de menthe (minus the menthol). Looking forward to trying it out!

Also ordered a caramel, vanilla, pina colada, harvest berry, double apple, and watermelon.

I’m thinking of retrying some fruits at a real low %, with inw natural mint, or cap cool mint!

Thanks for the suggestions!

Good luck! Please let me know how the Rock de Menthe works out for you. I am saving as many versions as I can. Koolada adds the coolness without any mint or menthol flavor, so that might work well with the fruits at 1% or so.

Reactions: Eskie

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
@sk25411 - The TFA Creme de Menthe is one of my flavorite flavorings of theirs, and it doesn't take much of it to get that wonderful taste in a mix.

If you like simple DIY, you may also want to try some of One Stop DIY Shop's "One Stop Flavors" and "One Stop Blends". They're their own proprietary concentrates that are ready to use singly in your own PG, VG, and nic base. Most ECF members who like them, use them at between 6%-12%. As always though, it varies with everyone's own personal tastes. Some use less than that and some use more.

My personal, all-time, favorites of those are the Lucky Shot, the Baked Cinnamon Roll, and the Lotta Latte. The Southern Sweet Tea, the Pink Lemonade, and Strawberry Milk are also very good. Haven't tried the Tennessee Whiskey, Wild Cherrylicious, Licorice Torpedoes, or several others I have yet though, so my favorites may change! Also, mixing the Lucky Shot + Lotta Latte at about 5-6% of each is also extremely good! I call it Caramel Latte, and it's been my main ADV for more than a year and a half now. Quite a few others on here love it, too!

OSDIY owners have an on-going discount for ECF members, too. Besides their proprietary flavorings mentioned above...they also carry the name brand flavorings, too, like TFA, CAP, FW, FA, and others. Using either of these codes will save you between 11-15% on your total order: ECF or JFK. They also run sales several times a year that are usually 15% or more off.

Last edited:

doghair

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2014
Phoenix
I have not found many fruits that are good stand alone. Mixing them or adding a secondary makes a big difference. Like adding a small amount of vanilla, chocolate, bavarian creme, etc. I also found the flavors with ethyl alcohol leave a nasty throat sensation for me even though I try to evaporate. I stick with the flavors in PG or water. One of my all time favorites is RY4 double with a few drops of double clear chocolate, like a half % or less.

Reactions: JCinFLA

sk25411

ECF Veteran
Sep 8, 2017
San Diego, California
@sk25411 - The TFA Creme de Menthe is one of my flavorite flavorings of theirs, and it doesn't take much of it to get that wonderful taste in a mix.

If you like simple DIY, you may also want to try some of One Stop DIY Shop's "One Stop Flavors" and "One Stop Blends". They're their own proprietary concentrates that are ready to use singly in your own PG, VG, and nic base. Most ECF members who like them, use them at between 6%-12%. As always though, it varies with everyone's own personal tastes. Some use less than that and some use more.

My personal, all-time, favorites of those are the Lucky Shot, the Baked Cinnamon Roll, and the Lotta Latte. The Southern Sweet Tea, the Pink Lemonade, and Strawberry Milk are also very good. Haven't tried the Tennessee Whiskey, Wild Cherrylicious, Licorice Torpedoes, or several others I have yet though, so my favorites may change! Also, mixing the Lucky Shot + Lotta Latte at about 5-6% of each is also extremely good! I call it Caramel Latte, and it's been my main ADV for more than a year and a half now. Quite a few others on here love it, too!

OSDIY owners have an on-going discount for ECF members, too. Besides their proprietary flavorings mentioned above...they also carry the name brand flavorings, too, like TFA, CAP, FW, FA, and others. Using either of these codes will save you between 11-15% on your total order: ECF or JFK. They also run sales several times a year that are usually 15% or more off.

Wow, I just checked out OSDIY and those look great! I just placed an order with bull city, but I think I’m going to go ahead and place another here!

The teas sound amazing. They seem simple too, which is what I like. I’d love to be able to quickly toss in 5%, shake, and go

dc99

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 17, 2014
earth
Good luck! Please let me know how the Rock de Menthe works out for you. I am saving as many versions as I can. Koolada adds the coolness without any mint or menthol flavor, so that might work well with the fruits at 1% or so.
Theres a new player on the block if your a koolada fan. Try this. Search results for: 'WS-23 30%' No taste what-so ever and about .75 is as cool as 2% koolada. To me anyway. Great in slush, milkshake, ice cream

Reactions: PJReid

PJReid

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
Theres a new player on the block if your a koolada fan. Try this. Search results for: 'WS-23 30%' No taste what-so ever and about .75 is as cool as 2% koolada. To me anyway. Great in slush, milkshake, ice cream

Thanks! I will have to sample a small bottle. I appreciate the info. :)

sk25411

ECF Veteran
Sep 8, 2017
San Diego, California

Excitedly cracked open my vape mail tonight and go to Cooking!

Ok so, I made a batch of Rock de Menthe with a few modifications.

Creme de Menthe 6%
Dx sweet cream 6%
Dx marshmallow 1.5%
Koolada 1.5%

What can I say about it.. I like it, and I will definitely use the 30ml I made. However, there’s something in there, that I just thought was...off. I think it’s the sweet cream, after smelling it a bunch, and retasting it several times, I don’t think I’m a huge fan of the sweet cream. It just has a different taste I’d say.

I made a a 10ml of tpa pina colada as well. Yup, it tastes like a pina colada, but it’s not for me.

I also did a 10ml with 2% INW natural mint. That one I liked, a lot. It’s that straight mint I enjoy. It’s similar to cap cool mint, just less creamy I’d say.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions! Keep me coming if anyone has anymore!

Reactions: IDJoel

PJReid

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
Excitedly cracked open my vape mail tonight and go to Cooking!

Ok so, I made a batch of Rock de Menthe with a few modifications.

Creme de Menthe 6%
Dx sweet cream 6%
Dx marshmallow 1.5%
Koolada 1.5%

What can I say about it.. I like it, and I will definitely use the 30ml I made. However, there’s something in there, that I just thought was...off. I think it’s the sweet cream, after smelling it a bunch, and retasting it several times, I don’t think I’m a huge fan of the sweet cream. It just has a different taste I’d say.

I made a a 10ml of tpa pina colada as well. Yup, it tastes like a pina colada, but it’s not for me.

I also did a 10ml with 2% INW natural mint. That one I liked, a lot. It’s that straight mint I enjoy. It’s similar to cap cool mint, just less creamy I’d say.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions! Keep me coming if anyone has anymore!

Funny you should bring this up, but I had a similar reaction to the Sweet Cream flavor. As I mentioned earlier, I looked at every modification that Sgt.Rock made to the recipe and noticed he used Whipped Cream instead of Sweet Cream in a couple of versions. I ordered some TFA Whipped Cream and that made all of the difference for me. There is something that smells almost buttery to me in the Sweet Cream and that is not in the Whipped Cream. I will be making mine with Whipped Cream from now on.

Reactions: IDJoel
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread