Status
Not open for further replies.

themyst

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2009
Whitestone, NY
Super-quick review:

Just got this unit in. Size is awesome for a 30 watt mod! Options are near identical to other DNA30-type clones. See link after review for picture comparison to a mini istick.

Positives:
- Size!
- Low effort buttons
- Can somewhat buck power (HUGE plus for using off-the-shelf clearos)
- Good accuracy when the unit is boosting voltage.
- resistance and power output readings are to the nearest hundredth.
- adjustable 510 pin with 3 replacement pins included.
- battery cover is flush on my unit.
- package presentation is impeccable for a china mod.

Negatives:
- Magnetic battery cover isn't strong with no option for screws. (not dealbreaking)
- Buttons are slightly rattly. (minor)
- Slight delay of 1 second when firing the device from sleep state. (can be annoying)

Power regulation results (Fresh VTC4 battery, 1.2ohm Subtank OCC coil:

At minimum set wattage, calculated voltage on the aforementioned coil should be 2.87V, it fires at 3.81V.

Why is this important?

It has the capability to slightly buck down from the typical non-boosted battery output of 4.0 - 4.2V, which means this should be able to run typical off-the-shelf stuff without burning.

As many of you know, the difference between 3.8 and 4.0+ volts on such clearos is the difference between a usable vape and a mouth full of burnt wick.

When the unit is boosting power, I used a setting of 20 watts on said coil which calculates to 4.85V. On voltmeter, at said calculated voltage, it fires at 4.77V, for a .8V variance.

Bumped it to 30 watts, the calculated voltage was 5.94V, voltmeter read out at 5.81V for a .13V variance.

Both results were satisfactory and I am glad to see the unit err on the side of caution than overboosting, as it is far easier to adjust up than down for the typical newbie who'd be into this type of mod.

Do I like it? Yes. Should you get it? Read this review, look at the pictures and make the determination.

EDIT-

This unit has a VV mode along with a VW mode. I just tested the VV mode, slightly below calculated output when boosting, can slightly buck down below 4V. Still works fantastic!

3.6V - fires at 3.79V
4.3V - fires at 4.25V
4.8V - fires at 4.73V
5.0V - fires at 4.90V

Pictures:
http://1drv.ms/1AwZkVL
http://1drv.ms/1AwZuwb

Last edited:
Reactions: gerrymi

SS stingray

ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2014
Port Charlotte. Florida
Super-quick review:

Just got this unit in. Size is awesome for a 30 watt mod! Options are near identical to other DNA30-type clones. See link after review for picture comparison to a mini iStick.

Positives:
- Size!
- Low effort buttons
- Can somewhat buck power (HUGE plus for using off-the-shelf clearos)
- Good accuracy when the unit is boosting voltage.
- resistance and power output readings are to the nearest hundredth.
- adjustable 510 pin with 3 replacement pins included.
- battery cover is flush on my unit.
- package presentation is impeccable for a china mod.

Negatives:
- Magnetic battery cover isn't strong with no option for screws. (not dealbreaking)
- Buttons are slightly rattly. (minor)
- Slight delay of 1 second when firing the device from sleep state. (can be annoying)

Power regulation results (Fresh VTC4 battery, 1.2ohm Subtank OCC coil:

At minimum set wattage, calculated voltage on the aforementioned coil should be 2.87V, it fires at 3.81V.

Why is this important?

It has the capability to slightly buck down from the typical non-boosted battery output of 4.0 - 4.2V, which means this should be able to run typical off-the-shelf stuff without burning.

As many of you know, the difference between 3.8 and 4.0+ volts on such clearos is the difference between a usable vape and a mouth full of burnt wick.

When the unit is boosting power, I used a setting of 20 watts on said coil which calculates to 4.85V. On voltmeter, at said calculated voltage, it fires at 4.77V, for a .8V variance.

Bumped it to 30 watts, the calculated voltage was 5.94V, voltmeter read out at 5.81V for a .13V variance.

Both results were satisfactory and I am glad to see the unit err on the side of caution than overboosting, as it is far easier to adjust up than down for the typical newbie who'd be into this type of mod.

Do I like it? Yes. Should you get it? Read this review, look at the pictures and make the determination.

EDIT-

This unit has a VV mode along with a VW mode. I just tested the VV mode, slightly below calculated output when boosting, can slightly buck down below 4V. Still works fantastic!

3.6V - fires at 3.79V
4.3V - fires at 4.25V
4.8V - fires at 4.73V
5.0V - fires at 4.90V

Pictures:
http://1drv.ms/1AwZkVL
http://1drv.ms/1AwZuwb

Thank finally something on this. I ordered on 12/20 and waiting on shipping. I have a question . I vape with Protank 2 and build coils at 1.7 ohms. Can I get a good vape at the lowest setting ? I use Isticks at lowest setting and no problem but i don't loke the sticks because of the pin . I also hate the non replaceable battery. I hate to throw away stuff that will fill up the land fills. That's why I was hoping the Mini is what I want. at this point not sure. I would order another mini but will wait until I try one out .....

themyst

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2009
Whitestone, NY
Thank finally something on this. I ordered on 12/20 and waiting on shipping. I have a question . I vape with Protank 2 and build coils at 1.7 ohms. Can I get a good vape at the lowest setting ? I use Isticks at lowest setting and no problem but i don't loke the sticks because of the pin . I also hate the non replaceable battery. I hate to throw away stuff that will fill up the land fills. That's why I was hoping the Mini is what I want. at this point not sure. I would order another mini but will wait until I try one out .....

1.7 ohms with a 3.8V-ish floor should be great.

themyst

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2009
Whitestone, NY
Small update:

Still vaping like a champ with the Subtank. Match made in heaven. Wake lag is still annoying me, but I already trained myself to hold the fire button before I put it to my mouth, and certainly not as annoying as some of the other china DNA30 mods with far longer wake times.

I did manage to see what kind of voltage drop I'd see when the battery is lower, around 20%.

20W - there was a .2V drop from calculated to actual on the voltmeter, 30W there was a .24V drop. Still not too bad. Remember to crank it 1-2 watts if you have the overhead on a low battery to maintain your vape output.

Reactions: gerrymi

GRATI

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 1, 2011
ORANGE COUNTY-CA
My mini got on fire today. It was my second day using this device. Today, after 5 minutes of using it with fresh battery I left the mini on my desk and I realized something is wrong when smoke start coming out of the little box. I pull the battery (Sony VTC4) and surprisingly the battery wasn't hot. The plastic cover melted and something went wrong under that plastic cover where the circuit is. See pictures. unnamed-2.jpg unnamed.jpg

digital_karma

ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2014
manila, philippines
My mini got on fire today. It was my second day using this device. Today, after 5 minutes of using it with fresh battery I left the mini on my desk and I realized something is wrong when smoke start coming out of the little box. I pull the battery (Sony VTC4) and surprisingly the battery wasn't hot. The plastic cover melted and something went wrong under that plastic cover where the circuit is. See pictures. View attachment 406281 View attachment 406282

are you charging thru the usb cable when this happened?

DrewGrimey

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 10, 2012
san jose
My mini got on fire today. It was my second day using this device. Today, after 5 minutes of using it with fresh battery I left the mini on my desk and I realized something is wrong when smoke start coming out of the little box. I pull the battery (Sony VTC4) and surprisingly the battery wasn't hot. The plastic cover melted and something went wrong under that plastic cover where the circuit is. See pictures. View attachment 406281 View attachment 406282

So many pictures of melted Cloupor minis floating around the net now

Singha

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 21, 2011
Paris-Fr
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread