My first DNA20 complete with a small problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azmo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 8, 2013
Liverpool, NY, USA
I just finished my first DNA20 mod and there is a bit of a problem now. When I first got it all together, it was perfect. Now, a quarter of the screen is black. Any ideas what might have caused this? It is a little bigger because I used a Turnigy 6000mAh battery.

It works fine, I just can't see the battery indicator or the Ohms and Voltage.

Here are a couple pics:

IMAG0163.jpg IMAG0162.jpg

Edit - after a closer look, it appears that the screen cracked. Odd considering it worked fine when I first put it together. Looking at it, the screen did not sit flush in the cradle and putting it all together must have cracked the screen. Oh well, on to the next build.

mamu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2009
IN USA
Congratz on getting er done, Azmo!

Bummer about the cracked display. Unfortunately, it will blank out permanently in a day or two. I don't know why that is, but that's been my experience with a cracked display. Depends on how severe the crack is, but usually works fine for a short while, then starts acting funky, then blanks out.

Azmo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 8, 2013
Liverpool, NY, USA
Although I am bummed that this happened, I am happy that I was able to do it and it actually works. If the display does go completely out, I'll just have to guess at what wattage I'm vaping at.

It was a great experience and will be starting my next one soon. This time I will probably lay a piece of lexan in the cradle and put the display on that. I must not have filed one side of the case down enough leaving a very small gap between one end of the screen and the cradle.

Maybe in the future I will remove that board and put a new one in. And thank you Mamu for the inspiration and knowledge. I've read through so many of your posts and have the PDF for your how-to saved on my computer.

Visus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2013
United States
Interested in DNA20, I did a google search and wow its a common occurrence. will it take a fall of any kind, shock rate is skating on thin ice..
sponge padded double side contact cement stands like old calculator screens they were also, 'if you look at it sideways it will break, the 1/8"-1/2" sponge tape stands did the shock absorb trick

IDk just thinking out loud placing into memory I must build a dna20 i really like it

repair/replace-- it does not look to difficult..
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/battery-mods/357550-mails-dna20-has-arrived-4.html

dr g

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2012
Paradise
Interested in DNA20, I did a google search and wow its a common occurrence. will it take a fall of any kind, shock rate is skating on thin ice..
sponge padded double side contact cement stands like old calculator screens they were also, 'if you look at it sideways it will break, the 1/8"-1/2" sponge tape stands did the shock absorb trick

IDk just thinking out loud placing into memory I must build a dna20 i really like it

repair/replace-- it does not look to difficult..
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/battery-mods/357550-mails-dna20-has-arrived-4.html

Most screen failures happen upon install, I have not seen a report of a crack after installation

Azmo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 8, 2013
Liverpool, NY, USA
For the trouble, I would just replace the whole board. I covered the back of the screen with Epoxy Gel to hold it in place and stuck the board to it as well. My guess is that because the screen wasn't completely flush in the cradle and the board being so close to the battery, that enough pressure was applied to crack it.

Again, it sucks that it happened, but I am using it as a learning experience. The mod still works, so I'll just leave it as is and move on to my next build.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread