The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

My first RDA setup - The Results...

Discussion in 'Rebuildable Atomizer Systems' started by VlKlNGS, Jul 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. VlKlNGS

VlKlNGS Senior Member

Apr 18, 2019
    Hello World,

For the latecomers or those who just want a reminder on the first part of the story and the drama you can check out my previous threads here and here.

To the rest of you, I finally recieved all the components(Drop Dead RDA, Vandy Vape Pulse X mod, premade chinese coils, etc.) and have been playing around with my first RDA for the past two days and... well...

In my usual fashion I manage not to have any of the problems you guys warned me about(the rda is plenty flavorful for me, the mod outputs enough power for what I need, the coils are more then good enough, etc.), HOWEVER I have a totaly different problem that nobody whispered a sound about in all those dozens upon dozens of posts... :(

And that is the RDA gets very hot(tasty burnt lips type of hot) in just a couple of puffs and stays that way for quite a while!!!:cry::grr::cry:
    If I try to very carefully place my lips only on the tip of the drip tip without touching the top cap at all it's still vapable, but honestly I have enough obsessive behaviors as it is, I don't want to have to be that freaking precise every time I want to vape...

I tried a couple of different coils, tried higher wattages, lower wattages, more cotton, less cotton, lowering the coils, raising the coils, placing the coils as close as possible to the airflow holes, placing them more centered, even took a pair of coils and streched them to space them out, nothing...

So(after you get out your "HA HA!!! We told you not to buy that RDA!!" 's ;)) any other suggestions short of getting a long drip tip so I can vape in peace??:unsure:

Thanks.:cry:

P.S. And yes, it is the atty, the mod and battery stay within normal range.

P.S.S. Wide open airflow all the way.

2. tailland

tailland Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Aug 11, 2018
    Germany
    airflow on full blast

3. VlKlNGS

VlKlNGS Senior Member

Apr 18, 2019
    Airflow was, is, and will continue to be wide open.

4. bombastinator

bombastinator ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    That implies either the coils are getting much hotter than they should or there is some other kind of high resistance incident somewhere in the electrical circuit. Possibly in the 510 battery connection to the atty or elsewhere. Is the 510 connector blackens by any chance?

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Punk In Drublic

Punk In Drublic Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Aug 28, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    The higher the mass of the coil, the more power is required to heat them up. Also, the more they retain heat and transfer that heat to it’s surroundings which includes the RDA cap. Some RDA’s handle this better than others – the Drop Dead is not one of them.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. VlKlNGS

VlKlNGS Senior Member

Apr 18, 2019
    The battery and the connectors look fine.

7. bombastinator

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    Are you using high mass coils?

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. TrollDragon

TrollDragon Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Dec 3, 2014
    NS, Canada
    If you are using any of those coils you showed pictures of in one of your other threads, then bacon lips will be the order of the day. Cloven GoatHoof Super Alien coils look AMAZING on InstaGram but that's about it.

Time to drop back to the basics and see if you can find a vape you like, dual 24ga 3mm ID 6 wrap is a great place to start.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. Pat80

Pat80 Full Member

Jun 24, 2019
    Ontario Canada
    Have you tried temperature control?

• Like Like x 1
  10. bombastinator

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    “Cloven goathoof super alien”? OMG. I don’t even know what they are but that name has “suck” all over it. Yeah that would be “high mass”. They’re probably heating more air and tank than juice.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  11. TrollDragon

Dec 3, 2014
    NS, Canada
    That's what I call the coils that are more artwork than functional. :D

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Punk In Drublic

Aug 28, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    I have. Heat is still transferred to the RDA cap. As @TrollDragon mentioned, to mitigate the transfer of heat it is best to use lower mass coils. The coils the OP linked in previous threads are pretty massive

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. TrollDragon

Dec 3, 2014
    NS, Canada
    And to quote @jcoopercam about the Vandy Vape Pulse X...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. TrollDragon

Dec 3, 2014
    NS, Canada
    TC actually works on the Pulse X?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Punk In Drublic

Aug 28, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    I was referring to the Drop Dead. I used a DNA

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Punk In Drublic

Aug 28, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    I own the Pulse 80 – same mod as the Pulse X, just lacks the 21700 support. Found no problems with it heating up. Grant it, I have not used the Drop Dead on it with 20lb coils.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. TrollDragon

Dec 3, 2014
    NS, Canada
    And here I thought Vandy actually made something that worked... My Bad... ;)

• Love Love x 1
  18. VlKlNGS

VlKlNGS Senior Member

Apr 18, 2019
    The ones I tried so far, no idea if they are "high mass" or not @bombastinator .

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yeah, I get what you're saying @TrollDragon , but I'm kinda reluctant to put more money into it at the moment and risk getting the same results... Even with these ones(heat aside) the hit is not as quite as satisfying as the one from my vaporesso luxe with the o.2 mesh coils, if I put even less wire into it will I be feeling anything at all at that point? :unsure:

No TC yet @Pat80 all the coils I have are kanthal, I guess I could try and get some SS ones, but like I said above...

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. Punk In Drublic

Aug 28, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    LOL…I actually enjoy the Pulse 80. Never tried TC on it.

• Winner Winner x 2
  20. Punk In Drublic

Aug 28, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    Mesh is of low mass so it heats and cools almost instantly. Little heat transfer cause it does not retain heat.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.