My first RDA setup - The Results...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
Yeah, I get what you're saying @TrollDragon , but I'm kinda reluctant to put more money into it at the moment and risk getting the same results... Even with these ones(heat aside) the hit is not as quite as satisfying as the one from my vaporesso luxe with the o.2 mesh coils, if I put even less wire into it will I be feeling anything at all at that point? :unsure:

You will not find a vape that equals that of a chimney style coil without a lot of trial and error to get similar results. Companies using mesh in the chimney coil ups the odds again and makes it that much harder.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
The ones I tried so far, no idea if they are "high mass" or not @bombastinator .

Yeah, I get what you're saying @TrollDragon , but I'm kinda reluctant to put more money into it at the moment and risk getting the same results... Even with these ones(heat aside) the hit is not as quite as satisfying as the one from my vaporesso luxe with the o.2 mesh coils, if I put even less wire into it will I be feeling anything at all at that point? :unsure:

No TC yet @Pat80 all the coils I have are kanthal, I guess I could try and get some SS ones, but like I said above...
The top ones aren’t particularly high mass. Certainly aren’t low mass, but aren’t high either. Harder to tell with the other two.

One thing that might be worth checking is how tight your coil connection screws are.

• Disagree
Reactions: HigherStateD

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
So...any other suggestions short of getting a long drip tip so I can vape in peace??:unsure:
If you're happy with the vape other than getting burnt lips, I suggest getting a longer drip tip. ;)

The Drop Dead RDA allegedly comes with a 810 to 510 stainless steel drip tip adaptor. Get yourself a Cherry Vape, Cloud Chaser 510 drip tip (made out of delrin). I love these tips and they adorn all of my setups.

full

Last edited:

VlKlNGS

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2019
Ok @TrollDragon and @Mordacai so answer my previous question please, considering that already the hit is not as satisfying as the one from the tank, if I go with less wire(eighter by getting lower gauge coils, or using just 1 coil) will I even feel anything at all at that point?

Not sure @bombastinator should the screws be super tight, or slightly loose, or what?

Don't have another RDA @TrollDragon , kinda figured you would get that from the "My first RDA setup.." title. ;)

Assuming? there are no other safety concerns associated with my situation and I decide to go the "ignore the heat" route, something like this would be easier to get my hands on @Baditude . They are all 510, the first 2 are acrylic, the third is resin, but they all have O rings, not sure if that would work with the Drop Dead 510 adaptor. Could I just take the rings out and have them fit/perform properly without them?

• Disagree
Reactions: HigherStateD

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Assuming? there are no other safety concerns associated with my situation and I decide to go the "ignore the heat" route, something like this would be easier to get my hands on @Baditude . They are all 510, the first 2 are acrylic, the third is resin, but they all have O rings, not sure if that would work with the Drop Dead 510 adaptor. Could I just take the rings out and have them fit/perform properly without them?

I can't say for sure. I've used a drip tip like in your first picture, and when the novelty wore off I learned to hate it. It was just too long and there was no way to carry the setup in a pocket without knocking the drip tip off.

The tips in the middle are not "wide bore". (By the way, the top one isn't either.) They'll have a restrictive mouth-to-lung draw.

The last one is wide bore. I can't say for certain whether it will work with the o-ring. I'd be hesitant to remove it as it was designed to work with it in place. Best to get a "friction fit" drip tip for the more likely desired result.

Spending $10 on a drip tip might seem extravagant to some, but being that I have spent up to $40 for customized one-of-a-kind pyrex or TruStone tips in the past I didn't bat an eye. I bought my first Cherry Vape Cloud Chaser tip and after a week of using it purchased four more for all of my atomizers. Yeah, I like them that much.

Last edited:

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
@VlKlNGS - The coils I use in my Drop Dead are of lower mass than any one of the coils you linked, my RDA still heats up if chained vaped for too long. And by too long I mean 10+ consecutive hits. I have tried higher mass coils in the RDA and it has become unusable…3 to 4 hits and put aside to cool down.

The wire I use is Lightning Vapes Ni80 Fused Clapton. Consists of 4x 30awg cores with a 40awg wrap. At just 5 wraps it has a higher surface area than the lowest mass Clapton you linked but yet it is approx. 30% less in mass. With the Drop Dead I run this setup at ~60 to 70 watts

The wire comes on a spool so you will have to wrap your own coil. There maybe pre-made coils that utilize this wire, I have not seen any.

A longer, narrower drip tip will change the draw – no saying if you will like such change or not.

Last edited:

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
Ok @TrollDragon and @Mordacai so answer my previous question please, considering that already the hit is not as satisfying as the one from the tank, if I go with less wire(eighter by getting lower gauge coils, or using just 1 coil) will I even feel anything at all at that point?
Going with a smaller build or single coil will greatly reduce the heat, but as long as you use the Vaporesso QF coil as your benchmark, the vape will be very underwhelming.

VlKlNGS

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2019
Glad to see someone's having fun at least @Don29palms :p

Well, while you guys where writing all that I went ahead and took the build out and built it again as single coil, and... it's... not... all... bad...
It's reading at 0.53 running it at 60w atm.

The clouds still seem to be there somehow, flavor... I'm still trying to make up my mind here, not as horrible as I imagined it would be at any rate, but..... and yes now I seem to be able to get closer to those 10 hits chain before it gets hot like you mentioned @Punk In Drublic .
But the hit... mostly gone, now it's more in the "I'm vaping on air" feeling that, I don't know about most of you, but I personally hate.

Sigh, how come the more I learn about vaping the less the laws of physics seem to make sense?

AND THIS?!?!?!
The wire I use is Lightning Vapes Ni80 Fused Clapton. Consists of 4x 30awg cores with a 40awg wrap. At just 5 wraps it has a higher surface area than the lowest mass Clapton you linked but yet it is approx. 30% less in mass.

What the F does that mean?!!? loool Can't even begin to...
Anyway, regardless if you're gonna recommend something please make it SS or worse case kanthal, no way am I touching Ni80 or other such materials.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA

Not sure @bombastinator should the screws be super tight, or slightly loose, or what?

Don't have another RDA @TrollDragon , kinda figured you would get that from the "My first RDA setup.." title. ;)

Tight.

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
@vikings, you can certainly get a decent vape from a simple single coil. But reduced air space in the atomiser enhances this.

Also wicking is important, as too much you get a poor vaping experience due to the wicking not being able to wick effectively and too little ends up giving you a poor vaping experience with lots of popping and spitting. You have to find the goldilocks zone of wicking for the atomiser used and coil ID.

Take up vaping they said, it's simple. Then you end up having to learn electronics, engineering, physics, chemistry and metallurgy.

It's a fun pastime.:thumb:

Last edited:

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
No confusion mate, I knew what it was and my answer remains the same, only interested in vaping kanthal or SS.
All good vape what works for you.

I like Ni80 as it has a lower resistance than Kanthal and heats quicker, it's my wire of choice in mechanical and non TC regulated devices. For TC (DNA) devices it's either SS316L, SS430 or NiFe48.

Reactions: DarrenMG

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Airflow was, is, and will continue to be wide open.
My experience is that your mouth will need some time getting used to the heat. I find dual coils are specially gruesome, they generate a lot of heat, and the lower the build, the more the heat they generate. After a couple of weeks I no longer notice. Granted, some coils are not meant to be chain vaped, but two or three pulls every half hour or so.
Plus, being summer in the northern hemisphere poses the problem of slow heat dissipation. I avoid RDAs in the summer just for that very reason. They get scorching hot!

Reactions: greek mule

greek mule

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2018
Athens,Greece
Air is getting into the barrel in an angle.If the position of your coils is not the proper one,air doesn't hit them directly and gradually the heat into your rda rises.Here you can see the right coil placement.As for hight,1-2 mm above the posts.
th
th
The more you up the wattage the harder your draw must be to insure enough air goes onto the coils.(I assume you do DL inhales).I don't know what pg/vg ratio your juice is but know that VG is very thick and it takes more heat to be vaporized as compared to PG. Try 30PG/70/VG juices to lower the temperature generated.

Ultimate Photo Editor73201970948AM.png

Reactions: TrollDragon

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
Air is getting into the barrel in an angle.If the position of your coils is not the proper one,air doesn't hit them directly and gradually the heat into your rda rises.Here you can see the right coil placement.As for hight,1-2 mm above the posts.
th
th
The more you up the wattage the harder your draw must be to insure enough air goes onto the coils.(I assume you do DL inhales).I don't know what pg/vg ratio your juice is but know that VG is very thick and it takes more heat to be vaporized as compared to PG. Try 30PG/70/VG juices to lower the temperature generated.

View attachment 824615
Air under a vacuum from the top does not flow down then up. The Drop Dead is garbage just like the Dead Rabbit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread