My First Rebuild of a KangerTech ProTank II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I received all of the stuff I ordered to attempt rebuilding coils for my KangerTech Pro tank II. I had ordered tweezers, Kanthal wire at 30 Guage, 2 mm Silica wick, and a magnifying lamp on a swing arm. I already had a multi-meter to check the resistance, needle-nose pliers, and a couple of hat pins. As an overview, can I really save money if my yield is 20%? I learned a lot and burned up a great deal of time on a rainy afternoon. However, I had a blast learning. First, I had watched three videos multiple times. Those videos and more can be found within the forum. Maybe I was overconfident.

My first was a true disaster. I had a tremendous amount of issues and the first one did not even make it to the fully assembled stage. I used the wick with a pin stuck through the middle. Or at least close to the middle. OK, I admit it, I snaked back and forth from sticking out one side to sticking out the other. I then measure a length that would give me about 2.5 ohms plus extra to cut off. I clumsily wrapped wire around the the combined wick and pin. I got 6 wraps then worked on getting the coils closer together until I broke one side of the wire at the end of the coil.

My second was a disaster but maybe a bit closer. I made it through wrapping but the wick kept coming uncoiled. After I pushed my metal coil back together, I pulled a bit on the wick. Of course it broke. About this time my wife asked if I was getting frustrated. I told her I was having too much fun to worry about that.

My third was closer. I used scotch tape to help keep the wick together after putting it on the pin. A little tape around the pin head and a little tape after the pin tip. I wrapped the wire around then again the wick came apart just as I was installing the coil in its housing.

My fourth I decided to try the drill bit method where I use a 1/16th drill bit and wrap around it. I made a beautiful coil but it was so small, I had no chance of getting wick through it. So my wife got the cotton pads she uses to clean her face. I rolled my own cotton and got it to go through. I put everything back together and it worked! I put it on my multi-meter and found it was 1.3 ohms. OK, so I was shooting for 2.6 and got half that. Still it worked!

I messed up my fourth and fifth trying to build one for my wife. They both came out about 2.8 ohms and apparently my Vision Spinners won't put out enough power to make those work.

Finally my sixth worked and I took a couple of loops off. I had switched to a jewelers screw driver for wrapping bigger diameter coils. Six loops did the trick to get 2.0 ohms. Cotton is my new wicking material. Lessons learned.

1. The rubber gasket/cap that acts as a seal for the bottom of the clearomizer is easy to lose. I lost two today and don't know where.
2. The rubber grommet at the bottom of the coil that goes between the positive post and the body ground is easier to tear up than I thought. I tore one up today. It was a problem with ripping the bottom ring when trying to get it out. I figured out that it was better to remove the metal positive pole at the bottom of the coil unit. Then, straighten the positive end of the coil wire, then pinch the entire exposed rubber together with my needle nose. That always seemed to take the grommet out in one piece.
3. I found the wick hard to work with. It would either unwrap itself or tear too easily. It was very difficult to get a pin down the center of the wick. Finally, my metal coils were better looking and more consistent without the wick but with using the drill bit or jewelers screwdriver.
4. I think if I had the purchase for the wick to do over, I might have just gone with cotton. At the very least I would have gone with 3 mm to make it easier to get a pin centered in it.

KineticMind

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2014
Georgia
When I successfully rebuilt my first Protank II head, I grinned ear to ear for what felt like hours afterwards! It's not an enormous cost savings endeavor, but it's just so rewarding to know that the head you're vaping on was built by you. I found after doing that a few times that building coils on RBA's and RDA's felt like a walk in the park.

k702

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2014
lost wages, sin city, NV
it's big enough. I can get 50 feet of kanthal and enough cotton to wick for years for less than 20 dollars with shipping (much less) and if you treat them right you can keep re coiling them for quite a while before having to buy any new heads to fiddle with. at 5 - 20 dollars for a box of protank heads depending on where you go that's a pretty good deal

spewny

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2014
Atlanta, GA
I had a lot off issues with my aerotanks due to the height of the dual coil head chamber, and the total height of the single coil heads. If you are rebuilding the dual, be sure to pack it with cotton since the openings are so big. For the singles, flip the grommet upside down and put it up against the chimney. I was wasting TONs of juice with the flooding till I figured that one out.

Congrats to all on the rebuilds. I am still learning myself, but after trying a stock head again a couple days ago, I don't think I'll ever go back. Vape on!!!

BigEgo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2013
Alabama
Rebuilding with silica is a PITA. I like microcoils and it's really hard to pull off with silica (really hard to thread the silica through the coil). Using cotton is way easier, but I am afraid of vaping on cotton so I avoid it.

But, OP, if you don't mind cotton, build a microcoil. I use a 1/16th drillbit with 10 wraps of 30 gauge kanthal. Comes right out to 2 ohms. Thread your cotton through it and you're done.

SleeZy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2014
Sweden
Rebuilding with silica is a PITA. I like microcoils and it's really hard to pull off with silica (really hard to thread the silica through the coil). Using cotton is way easier, but I am afraid of vaping on cotton so I avoid it.

But, OP, if you don't mind cotton, build a microcoil. I use a 1/16th drillbit with 10 wraps of 30 gauge kanthal. Comes right out to 2 ohms. Thread your cotton through it and you're done.

Buy yourself organic non bleached cotton, then boil it for like 20 minutes just to be safe from any residues. :)
Or is there any other reason you don't like cotton?

Kryyptyk

ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2014
Austin, TX, USA
I rebuild Protank heads alot. I had a load of trial and error with different wicking materials, cotton especially, and finally nailed it where I can rebuild at the resistance I want. I even started subohming in Protank heads. My biggest issue was having cotton burn, and getting that oh-so-memorable taste of burning wick and juice. It seemed that every how-to video never gave enough details on how to wick. So here's a few things I've learned:

1. The trick with using cotton is to roll it lightly. The cotton will expand once it soaks up juice, so you don't want to roll it too tightly or it will choke the coil and burn. You want a small roll that will fit through the coil with ease. This will take some eyeballing and a few tries to get right, but once you've done it you'll nail the size every time. When you're pulling it through the coil, you want there to be as little resistance as possible. Once you feel the coil starting to tug ever so lightly, that's good enough. Been doing it this way for a while now with no burning, and no issues.

2. When rebuilding Protank heads twist your extraneous leads off instead of clipping them. It's easy and will reduce your chances of a coil-side short to practically zero.

3. When wrapping coils, get them as tight as possible. Then squeeze the wraps together and torch them so they stay tight. Space is at a premium in a Protank head, and the less you take up for a coil means more room for wicking and airflow.

4. Never, ever dryburn a coil in a Protank head. You will burn your rubber insulator and end up with a horrible burnt rubber taste.

5. Don't use top wicks. The wicking will improve, but the airflow will be choked and will result in burnt wick.

Just a few tips I've learned. :)

coalyard

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Rome, NY, USA

Wow1420

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2013
Somewhere out there

Mikie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2013
Chattanooga TN
It gets easier with practice, but the PT heads are so small I had trouble getting them as consistent as I wanted. Now I "cheat" and use these $3.30 Pre-Coiled Welded Wires w/ Wicks - NR-R-NR (50-Pack) 50-pack - 35 AWG / 2.2ohm / 1-wick at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping, couldn't be easier.

Seriously? this exists? Nice! I have been saving all my Pt heads when they get old. I foolishly bought a Russian 91 and tried twice to build coils for it, and gave up. Tiny things and I do not get along well and it just wasn't worth the effort. I know the flavor etc is supposed to be better on the R91, but I am not too picky.

Thanks for the link, I guess I am about to make my first FT purchase(do not look around, do not look around do not....)

SleeZy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2014
Sweden
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread