Status
Not open for further replies.

rudy4653

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2012
CT
Spydro I stripped a silver vein standard Grand that I bought in the classifieds a few weeks ago and it was a perfect TRA under the paint. I'm assuming all of the vein finishes are TRA underneath, so this works out perfectly for you. Here is what mine looks like...

IMG_20140914_164151-1_zps8c632a75.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The vein finish came off far easier than the finish on my purple mini did. It actually came off in sheets that slid right off the body. The paint began to bubble and remove itself in just a few minutes. I'd definitely do it myself if I were you and then have Rob LP. You'll have your mini TRA in no time.

Seems like TRA is a very popular trend these days!
I am on the verge of pulling the trigger on a Grand as I have always had minis and since getting my koa woody 18650 I have been spoiled by the battery life! It's great leaving the house without 4- little18500 batteries to last me thru the day ! Started taking the woody out of the house and found that's not a good idea ( for me) as I have had a couple of accidental drops resulting in cracks in the wood and just sent to spa for surgery! :( So that's what is driving me to buy a indestructable Grand. I just need to decide between getting a TRA or another anodized black like my mini. I like the smooth feel of the anodized. Does the TRA have that nice slick feel to them? Might also consider combo TRA/black door or vice versa. Decisions, decisions. If anyone out there has a TRA/Black or Black/TRA combination please show me some pictures! :) Not interested in SL as I am a beach bum and don't think sand and SL would be a good combo.

rudy4653

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2012
CT
Rudy the TRA are silky smooth, very much like the anodized. I really like the feel of them. You could buy a TRA then watch for blem doors and buy a few for different looks. That way you'd have the TRA door too.

Thanks for the input! :)
What I like about the TRA is that I'm sure it doesn't show scratches & scuffs etc. as much as anodized if dropped, which I am prone to do.While I wait to pull the trigger on a Grand I'm thinking of giving my original black anodized mini a makeover and strip the paint off the door section only to give it that 2 tone look! :)

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
Seems like TRA is a very popular trend these days!
I am on the verge of pulling the trigger on a Grand as I have always had minis and since getting my koa woody 18650 I have been spoiled by the battery life! It's great leaving the house without 4- little18500 batteries to last me thru the day ! Started taking the woody out of the house and found that's not a good idea ( for me) as I have had a couple of accidental drops resulting in cracks in the wood and just sent to spa for surgery! :( So that's what is driving me to buy a indestructable Grand. I just need to decide between getting a TRA or another anodized black like my mini. I like the smooth feel of the anodized. Does the TRA have that nice slick feel to them? Might also consider combo TRA/black door or vice versa. Decisions, decisions. If anyone out there has a TRA/Black or Black/TRA combination please show me some pictures! :) Not interested in SL as I am a beach bum and don't think sand and SL would be a good combo.

Rudy, I lived in California for 32+ years and its my belief that sand gets into everything. It wouldn't matter if it was standard or SL... Though the SL would probably be easier to clean after some time on the sand though....

rudy4653

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2012
CT
Rudy, I lived in California for 32+ years and its my belief that sand gets into everything. It wouldn't matter if it was standard or SL... Though the SL would probably be easier to clean after some time on the sand though....

That's true about the sand! I realize that every time I take off my bathing suit and realize there is sand ....EVERYWHERE! :ohmy:
Actually I will be sticking with an full metal jacket anodized or TRA as I always find myself using the REO as sort of "worry stone", rubbing the back with my thumb while in my hand watching TV or reading etc. I do it without realizing it and now that I am thinking about textures I would miss that aspect if I got SL with the slots.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Interesting about the aluminum under the anodized Reo's. I hope Spydro wins the aluminum lottery with his vein and wins a TRA.

Same here. Still have to go find something to strip it with, so it'll be awhile (same as the patina stuff I still have not yet gone looking for).

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Well I thought hubs had washed his hands of me and my doors lol! I think he's enjoying his doors being shown off though!;)

It's a 2013 penny for the year I quit smoking.

Perfect touch for you. I like it. Give's me an idea for some medallions I have that have special meaning to me. But with no machine shop at my disposal anymore they'd have to be just applied to the surface.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread