My letter to my MP. ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.

louis1

May 26, 2011
uk
Dear Simon Wright,
This is the first time I have ever felt the need to contact my local MP, although I feel I have to on this matter. This is in regards to the matter of electronic cigarettes being banned or regulated as prescription only in the UK. The EU makes the decision soon I believe, I believe we will be dictated here by this decision although I don't need to remind you parliament is sovereign in England, as far as the EU goes this is often forgotten.

Electronic cigarettes work by vaporising nicotine mixed with propylene glycol and vegetable glycol (the same substances found in asthma inhalers) This takes away the need to combust tobacco therefore cutting out all the harm that smoking causes, this includes the tar, carbon monoxide, and thousands of deadly chemicals found in tobacco. As I am sure you can understand this provides the sensation and social aspects of smoking without the harm. Yes, nicotine in its pure form is toxic and this obviously requires some form of regulation, but many experts compare nicotine to caffeine in respect to the danger it presents.

I have smoked since I was 13 years old, I am now 31 and have always found quitting very hard, if you are not a smoker its impossible to grasp the hold this habit has on ones life, but it is a very hard habit to break. Many smokers who have tried the Nicorette patches or gum, 9 times out of 10 will return to smoking as they miss the actual hands on action it provides. This is where electronic cigarettes have really helped millions. I have been using electronic cigarettes for 4 months, I feel no need to smoke tobacco and feel like a new person, my lungs have cleared, I am much fitter, I can walk and run further and have hope for the future

This story is repeated all over the world, middle aged men and women who have finally kicked the habit thanks to these revolutionary devices. I saw one gentlemen who paid for two chest x-rays, after 5 years vaporising his nicotine the results were obvious, he has experienced no side effects what's so ever, just clearer healthier lungs. It is important to add there has been no reported deaths from electronic cigarettes or serious health problems as a result. Obviously, there has been no long term study into these products as they are so new, but what every single expert who has studied them agrees, they are far healthier than regular cigarettes. The FDA continues to compare them to tobacco containing products, they are not tobacco products, the FDA continues to ignore this. The tobacco giants are continually spinning there propaganda, we can not allow them to continue the harm they inflict on mankind and line there pockets off the suffering of millions.

I buy my nicotine liquid online from vendors. The liquid is tested and nicotine levels are very accurate, I am yet to meet a vendor that would sell to someone under the age of 18 years old. The industry is unregulated at this stage, which needs looking at but it is regulating its self very well at this stage.

As I am sure you can appreciate this revolution in nicotine replacement is giving millions hope and there lives back. We do not want to use these in public places, we are happy to have restrictions on these such as that, but we cannot see these regulated to prescription or a total ban, this would undoubtedly push millions back to smoking tobacco whilst electronic cigarettes would be pushed to the black market. We cannot allow this to happen. Today there is a big movement on twitter 15/12/13 from 8pm to show the EU the people have spoken. If we are not listened to, then this is not a democracy we live under.
As one of your constituents I urge you to get behind me and the millions of other 'vapers' worldwide who have finally found a solution to these deadly lifelong habit.

I know the liberal democrats have always had human rights at the core of there policies, our right is to have a safer alternative to smoking and not have that taken away from us. I would also like to invite you to electronic cigarette forum to meet the community and hear the first hand accounts of the life changing affects electronic cigarettes have had.

I look forward to hearing directly from you and your opinion and if I can count on your support in parliament. I wish you and your family a merry Christmas and a healthy happy new year, please help me have a healthy new year also. Kind regards

Yours sincerely,

DO YOU THINK THIS IS OK?

Hi

Thanks for the crib sheet :)

Here's my version:

Dear Vernon Coaker,

I'm concerned about electronic cigarettes being banned or regulated as prescription only in the UK. The EU makes the decision soon I believe.

Electronic cigarettes work by vaporising nicotine mixed with propylene glycol and vegetable glycol. PG is used extensively in food and medical products, it has been carefully studied over a long period of time and has been found to be a safe substance and shows no evidence of being a carcinogen or of being genotoxic.

Using an e-cigarette takes away the need to burn tobacco therefore cutting out most, if not all, of the harm that smoking causes, this includes the tar, carbon monoxide, and thousands of deadly chemicals found in tobacco. As I am sure you can understand this provides the sensation and social aspects of smoking without the harm. Yes, nicotine in its pure form is toxic and this obviously requires some form of regulation, but many experts compare nicotine to caffeine in respect to the danger it presents.

I have been smoking for 30 years, since I was 15. I have tried quitting many times using Nicotine Replacement products and just going cold turkey but have never been successful. A little over three weeks ago I picked up an electric cigarette at Asda. Two days later I switched completely and have been tobacco free since then with no desire or cravings to go back. Over time, by lowering the amount if nicotine in the liquids I use I hope to kick my nicotine habit for good.

Similar stories are told all over the world. People have found a new lease of life thanks to e-cigarettes.

Obviously, there has been no long term study into these products as they are so new, but what every single expert who has studied them agrees, even if they are not 100% healthy they are far, far healthier than regular cigarettes. As far as I'm aware there have been no reported deaths or serious health problems as a result of using e-cigarettes.

It is important to note that 36% of all accidental house fires resulting in deaths are the result of the careless disposal of regular cigarettes.

I have no desire to use my e-cigarette in public places, such as pubs or restaurants, and I am happy to abide by the restrictions placed on smokers.

If e-cigarettes are banned or classified as prescription products I believe that many will return to smoking tobacco and the e-cigarettes will be pushed on to the black market. We cannot allow this to happen.

At the moment the e-cigarette industry seems to be regulating itself very well. All the sites I've visited state that their products are not for sale to under 18s and say that they are for people who already smoke. If the industry is forced underground there will be no need for it to regulate itself or adhere to any regulations that may come into force in the future.

As one of your constituents I would like to hear your opinions on this matter and if I can rely on your support in parliament.

I wish you and your family a merry Christmas and a healthy happy new year, please help me have a healthy new year also.

Yours sincerely,

Adam Clarke

louis1

May 26, 2011
uk
hi

thanks for the crib sheet :)

here's my version:

Dear vernon coaker,

i'm concerned about electronic cigarettes being banned or regulated as prescription only in the uk. The eu makes the decision soon i believe.

Electronic cigarettes work by vaporising nicotine mixed with propylene glycol and vegetable glycol. Pg is used extensively in food and medical products, it has been carefully studied over a long period of time and has been found to be a safe substance and shows no evidence of being a carcinogen or of being genotoxic.

Using an e-cigarette takes away the need to burn tobacco therefore cutting out most, if not all, of the harm that smoking causes, this includes the tar, carbon monoxide, and thousands of deadly chemicals found in tobacco. As i am sure you can understand this provides the sensation and social aspects of smoking without the harm. Yes, nicotine in its pure form is toxic and this obviously requires some form of regulation, but many experts compare nicotine to caffeine in respect to the danger it presents.

I have been smoking for 30 years, since i was 15. I have tried quitting many times using nicotine replacement products and just going cold turkey but have never been successful. A little over three weeks ago i picked up an electric cigarette at asda. Two days later i switched completely and have been tobacco free since then with no desire or cravings to go back. Over time, by lowering the amount if nicotine in the liquids i use i hope to kick my nicotine habit for good.

Similar stories are told all over the world. People have found a new lease of life thanks to e-cigarettes.

Obviously, there has been no long term study into these products as they are so new, but what every single expert who has studied them agrees, even if they are not 100% healthy they are far, far healthier than regular cigarettes. As far as i'm aware there have been no reported deaths or serious health problems as a result of using e-cigarettes.

It is important to note that 36% of all accidental house fires resulting in deaths are the result of the careless disposal of regular cigarettes.

I have no desire to use my e-cigarette in public places, such as pubs or restaurants, and i am happy to abide by the restrictions placed on smokers.

If e-cigarettes are banned or classified as prescription products i believe that many will return to smoking tobacco and the e-cigarettes will be pushed on to the black market. We cannot allow this to happen.

At the moment the e-cigarette industry seems to be regulating itself very well. All the sites i've visited state that their products are not for sale to under 18s and say that they are for people who already smoke. If the industry is forced underground there will be no need for it to regulate itself or adhere to any regulations that may come into force in the future.

As one of your constituents i would like to hear your opinions on this matter and if i can rely on your support in parliament.

I wish you and your family a merry christmas and a healthy happy new year, please help me have a healthy new year also.

Yours sincerely,

adam clarke

excellent!!

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas
i was under the impression that the UK government favours regulating e-cigs as medical devices, something the EU recently voted against. The FDA in the US has authority only to deem them tobacco products, which at least means they would not have to undergo the clinical trials required for medicines to gain market acceptance.

The EU is bad enough, but your own government are intent on giving the whole market to big pharma, rather than a careful cost/benefit analysis comparing e-cigs with other legal products, such as alcohol and cigarettes. I was tickled to read about 'the sovereignty of Parliament' in the first post, because it seems little in evidence when one considers the over-reaching effects of the Human Rights Act, or the application of the European arrest warrant as they impact British citizens.

T

louis1

May 26, 2011
uk
I was tickled to read about 'the sovereignty of Parliament' in the first post, because it seems little in evidence when one considers the over-reaching effects of the Human Rights Act, or the application of the European arrest warrant as they impact British citizens.

T

The point i was trying to make was, the human rights bill aside, when it comes down to it, parliament in England has sovereignty, and we can make our own decisions no matter what the EU decide to do. Thought i would hit him with some anti europe propaganda. :) lol. How did you word your letter?

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
Dear Simon Wright,
This is the first time I have ever felt the need to contact my local MP, although I feel I have to on this matter. This is in regards to the matter of electronic cigarettes being banned or regulated as prescription only in the UK. The EU makes the decision soon I believe, I believe we will be dictated here by this decision although I don't need to remind you parliament is sovereign in England, as far as the EU goes this is often forgotten.

Electronic cigarettes work by vaporising nicotine mixed with propylene glycol and vegetable glycol (the same substances found in asthma inhalers) This takes away the need to combust tobacco therefore cutting out all the harm that smoking causes, this includes the tar, carbon monoxide, and thousands of deadly chemicals found in tobacco. As I am sure you can understand this provides the sensation and social aspects of smoking without the harm. Yes, nicotine in its pure form is toxic and this obviously requires some form of regulation, but many experts compare nicotine to caffeine in respect to the danger it presents.

I have smoked since I was 13 years old, I am now 31 and have always found quitting very hard, if you are not a smoker its impossible to grasp the hold this habit has on ones life, but it is a very hard habit to break. Many smokers who have tried the Nicorette patches or gum, 9 times out of 10 will return to smoking as they miss the actual hands on action it provides. This is where electronic cigarettes have really helped millions. I have been using electronic cigarettes for 4 months, I feel no need to smoke tobacco and feel like a new person, my lungs have cleared, I am much fitter, I can walk and run further and have hope for the future

This story is repeated all over the world, middle aged men and women who have finally kicked the habit thanks to these revolutionary devices. I saw one gentlemen who paid for two chest x-rays, after 5 years vaporising his nicotine the results were obvious, he has experienced no side effects what's so ever, just clearer healthier lungs. It is important to add there has been no reported deaths from electronic cigarettes or serious health problems as a result. Obviously, there has been no long term study into these products as they are so new, but what every single expert who has studied them agrees, they are far healthier than regular cigarettes. The FDA continues to compare them to tobacco containing products, they are not tobacco products, the FDA continues to ignore this. The tobacco giants are continually spinning there propaganda, we can not allow them to continue the harm they inflict on mankind and line there pockets off the suffering of millions.

I buy my nicotine liquid online from vendors. The liquid is tested and nicotine levels are very accurate, I am yet to meet a vendor that would sell to someone under the age of 18 years old. The industry is unregulated at this stage, which needs looking at but it is regulating its self very well at this stage.

As I am sure you can appreciate this revolution in nicotine replacement is giving millions hope and there lives back. We do not want to use these in public places, we are happy to have restrictions on these such as that, but we cannot see these regulated to prescription or a total ban, this would undoubtedly push millions back to smoking tobacco whilst electronic cigarettes would be pushed to the black market. We cannot allow this to happen. Today there is a big movement on twitter 15/12/13 from 8pm to show the EU the people have spoken. If we are not listened to, then this is not a democracy we live under.
As one of your constituents I urge you to get behind me and the millions of other 'vapers' worldwide who have finally found a solution to these deadly lifelong habit.

I know the liberal democrats have always had human rights at the core of there policies, our right is to have a safer alternative to smoking and not have that taken away from us. I would also like to invite you to electronic cigarette forum to meet the community and hear the first hand accounts of the life changing affects electronic cigarettes have had.

I look forward to hearing directly from you and your opinion and if I can count on your support in parliament. I wish you and your family a merry Christmas and a healthy happy new year, please help me have a healthy new year also. Kind regards

Yours sincerely,

DO YOU THINK THIS IS OK?

Don't know whether you know this or not but i'll mention it anyway. Regardless of any decision made in Europe, in England the Prime Minister has the power to ultimately "veto" any decision made as a result of a vote by parlaiment, especially the European parlaiment. So really, any argument that opposes regulations or bans of nicotine solutions in Enland or Britain should be referred to the prime minister for a veto. It is the simplist solution. As we all know any results that come from votes in the European parlaiment are based purely on what the big tobacco and pharma companies want. This being the case means a veto from the Prime Minister would be appropriate. If you really want to influence any MP's then David Cameron is your man at this moment in time.

louis1

May 26, 2011
uk
Don't know whether you know this or not but i'll mention it anyway. Regardless of any decision made in Europe, in England the Prime Minister has the power to ultimately "veto" any decision made as a result of a vote by parlaiment, especially the European parlaiment. So really, any argument that opposes regulations or bans of nicotine solutions in Enland or Britain should be referred to the prime minister for a veto. It is the simplist solution. As we all know any results that come from votes in the European parlaiment are based purely on what the big tobacco and pharma companies want. This being the case means a veto from the Prime Minister would be appropriate. If you really want to influence any MP's then David Cameron is your man at this moment in time.

Yeah him and the health minister, but it still has to go through the commons then the lords, otherwise its a dictatorship not a democracy, the only thing david cameron can do with out say so from commons and lords is go to war. ..... :-(

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas
I am with the Brussels' original vote - that it is patently nonsense to treat e-cigs as medical devices, since they treat no medical condition.

The thrust of my argument is that the UK government will regulate them as such regardless of anything the EU decides, just to prove their sovereignty and despite the fact it flies in the face of common sense - and so your most pressing issue is to persuade the MPs that the good effects of e-cigs far outweigh the need for such heavy-handed legislation. This is borne out by testimonials like yours (and mine) where long-time smokers have stopped using cigarettes with these devices.

It's my conviction that no laws are better than bad ones and governments all over are learning that the laws of unintended consequences have perverse effects.

My state senator is under no illusions as to my feelings on e-cig legislation and forthcoming FDA proposals; in a nutshell - leave the devices alone, sell them only to adults and regulate e-liquid only to ensure it is free from contaminants and of a consistent quality. It seems we all have a lot of work to do if we are to afford the same opportunities to escape cigarettes that we took to those that follow us.

T

louis1

May 26, 2011
uk
I am with the Brussels' original vote - that it is patently nonsense to treat e-cigs as medical devices, since they treat no medical condition.

The thrust of my argument is that the UK government will regulate them as such regardless of anything the EU decides, just to prove their sovereignty and despite the fact it flies in the face of common sense - and so your most pressing issue is to persuade the MPs that the good effects of e-cigs far outweigh the need for such heavy-handed legislation. This is borne out by testimonials like yours (and mine) where long-time smokers have stopped using cigarettes with these devices.

It's my conviction that no laws are better than bad ones and governments all over are learning that the laws of unintended consequences have perverse effects.

My state senator is under no illusions as to my feelings on e-cig legislation and forthcoming FDA proposals; in a nutshell - leave the devices alone, sell them only to adults and regulate e-liquid only to ensure it is free from contaminants and of a consistent quality. It seems we all have a lot of work to do if we are to afford the same opportunities to escape cigarettes that we took to those that follow us.

T

Ah i see, yeah maybe vapers are doomed here in the uk then. Its disgusting.

Well said mate, i agree with what you want, im gonna so hassle my mp.

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
Yeah him and the health minister, but it still has to go through the commons then the lords, otherwise its a dictatorship not a democracy, the only thing david cameron can do with out say so from commons and lords is go to war. ..... :-(

Right but as i said if you want to influence MP's on this subject then he's the guy to influence. Given the nature of this debate and the potential result it's the kind of thing that could easily be vetoed by the prime minister. Unlike, for example, the usa, our prime minister actually can veto what he wants. And he won't get any arguments from anyone about this.

This isn't "should murder be made legal" to allow those with terminal illness to arrange thier own deaths, you know the euthanasia thing !.

This nicotine regulations thing is completely crooked and is the kind of thing that should, in all seriousness, be ignored by the British government. No one wants the regulations or bans. Just the pharma and tobacco companies want it. Anyone can see that. So in this case a veto by the prime minister should be no significant problem, for the commons or the lords. They're not all out to get us !.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread