My Public Experence

Status
Not open for further replies.
My experience in public has been very interesting. As some of you may already know I sell Electronic Cigarettes at a kiosk in the mall. I use my E-Cigarette every day to show it off to the customers around me to generate interest. Unfortunately I also get a huge negative response from many people.

Many people will come up to me an assume I am really smoking a cigarette (while using the DuoPro) and complain that smoking is not allowed in the mall. Even after going through the explanation of what an E-Cigarette does and how it works, I still get nasty looks and sometimes people will complain to mall security about what I am doing. Thankfully most of the mall security buys from my kiosk and have converted over to the E-cigarette revolution.

I also have been kicked out of a restaurant once for smoking my electronic cigarette during dinner. They said it was a family environment and that type of behavior is unacceptable.

In the end though I do have more positive experiences then negative. When I walk around with my cigarette a lot of people will ask if I have a spare cigarette to bum off to them. When I explain that its electronic they are immediately intrigued and interested. If i have a spare battery with me I let them try it.

I think the real issue here is a lack of education to the populace and a bad rep that cigarettes have gotten in the past. I think if more people understood that Electronic Cigarettes aren't that bad for you and that they are a great replacement to smoking, It wouldn't be so difficult. Hopefully someday people will understand this culture a little better and move on to hating something else.

Something else that would help TREMENDOUSLY is if we changed the dam name to something other than "e cigarette"
I like Personal Vaporizer or something along those lines.....
ppl hear cigarette and automatically poo hits the fan and they've already formed an opinion. (and are suddenly a doctor)

Oh yes, I love that one... apparently everyone is an expert on the effects of smoking on the body. I usually floor them with a few well known facts of my own. If they want spew random BS facts to me I throw it right back at them.

Usually I say something along the line of this "E-Cigarettes are 75 - 80% safer for you, The only negative chemical is the nicotine. Nicotine effects your body by increasing your heart rate, blood pressure and various other ways. If someone was to vape with no nicotine you are looking at a system that is 90 - 99% healthier then real smoking"

Nightseer

ECF Veteran
Sep 28, 2010
Somewhere in time.
I love it when strangers look at me and ask if I know what is in those things! Unfortunately for them, I DO! After about 20 minutes they're really wishing they hadn't asked.

:toast:

ROFL-yup. I usually look at them and say-

why yes, as I make my own juice-I know EXACTLY what is in it.

Then go on to explain exactly what is in it, why, and why it's much safer for cigs, then let them know my doctor tells his patients about them because why he still considers it smoking I am apparently the healthiest smoker he knows, lung-wise.

Usually at this point they either go away or ask 10000 more questions.

Prodigal441

ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2011
NH
I was told I couldn't smoke in the mall and I told them I was vaping. I got a stupid look from them. Then I explained I was using a vaporizer and showed them the different parts. Still got stupid look with confusion. I spent almost 30 minutes explaining how it worked. The couple were smokers. I gave them some web sites to order from and this site to reference for more info. I think I may have converted them. Yay me!

Jaguar G

ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2010
Just west of Cool, Texas
Something else that would help TREMENDOUSLY is if we changed the dam name to something other than "e cigarette"
ppl hear cigarette and automatically poo hits the fan and they've already formed an opinion. (and are suddenly a doctor)

I believe in jolly ole England, they are referring to them as "electrofags". Maybe we should give that a try. :p

Rosco

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 23, 2010
KCMO:>)
My experience in public has been very interesting. As some of you may already know I sell Electronic Cigarettes at a kiosk in the mall. I use my E-Cigarette every day to show it off to the customers around me to generate interest. Unfortunately I also get a huge negative response from many people.

Many people will come up to me an assume I am really smoking a cigarette (while using the DuoPro) and complain that smoking is not allowed in the mall. Even after going through the explanation of what an E-Cigarette does and how it works, I still get nasty looks and sometimes people will complain to mall security about what I am doing. Thankfully most of the mall security buys from my kiosk .......
I think the real issue here is a lack of education to the populace and a bad rep that cigarettes have gotten in the past. I think if more people understood that Electronic Cigarettes aren't that bad for you and that they are a great replacement to smoking, It wouldn't be so difficult. Hopefully someday people will understand this culture a little better and move on to hating something else.

and I believe some people are just jerks that think they know it all. You can't tell them anything they don't already know. I mean really, aftering showing and explaining that it is not smoke, they still complain about you smoking there. That pretty much shows their true intelligence. You just can't fix stupid.

TandT

Unregistered Supplier

Absolutely right! Too bad they're not called Electronic Vaporizers or something like that. The very word "cigarette" is very volatile these days.

i tell people its an Nicotine inhaler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread