My Public Vaping Ethos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazyrobotlabs

Jun 20, 2014
Brainerd, MN
I will start this off by saying that I am aware there is a Public vaping section, but for the life of me can't get my posting active so if there is a moderator who can move this and help me out, I'd be eternally grateful.

vaping in public has long been seen as the ultimate "perk", if you will, to our chosen hobby and lifestyle. We all know that there is no harmful secondhand smoke from our PV's and that the worst that happens is a typically pretty delightful smell gets exhaled with a large plume of what is essentially water vapor. No harm, no foul, right? I feel that this is in fact wrong, and not only does it make us look a little irresponsible and a little douchey to some (Perkins dude, really? Can't let grandma eat her omelet in peace?), but it may end up our ultimate downfall. vaping is indeed a grey area in many localities, and one can still maintain respect with our E-cigs and enjoy increased freedom with use of a little decency and spelled out care. I found that a few simple actions are actually looked at with much respect and tends to get our crowd looked at a little better, so I crafted my own personal "Rules for Public Vaping" that I find to be good general guidelines and that I hope you choose to adopt.

Rule #1: Not vaping front of children other than your own or your friends, should be an obvious one. Lets be realistic here, huge clouds look pretty sweet to an 11 year old kid (my girlfriend's brother, for example) and we don't want to encourage a new habit amongst youth, especially as possession of e-cigs by minors is one of the greatest problem arguments facing our community.

Rule #2: Your juice DOES have a smell, and some people just won't enjoy it like you. I love the scent of my Fruit Juice Gum, love it. No matter how much I enjoy it though, the fellow three feet down might not. If you're going to vape in a public place, try to avoid other people with your vape and be respectful of their right to only inhale oxygen if they choose.

Rule #2.2: Restaurants are off-limits. That same smell that may even make you a little hungry may make someone lose their appetite entirely. On top of there being kids around, not one person wants the smell of their steak to be altered by the smell of your Boba's Bounty or Cherry Limeade vape. If your restaurant has a smoking section, opt to sit there if you wish to vape.

Rule #3: Walmart and other 24 hour chains, after 11pm or your locality's curfue. After that time there are typically no kids in these spots, and at least in my town places like Walmart are pretty dead at night. I've been asked to pocket my mech mod in the daytime, but not once ever at night. You couldn't have a cig while picking out bread before, must you vape while doing so now?

Rule #4: Its typically easy to ask the manager if its alright, and usually if you ask they are fine with it. In small businesses or even smaller stores, its typically a good thing to ask the PIC if you can vape in their establishment. As long as whatever manager you are bugging isn't to busy, they usually are fine with it, and you avoid the awkward moment of getting asked to put it away if you don't. Plus, assuming makes an ... out of both "u" and "me" :D

Rule #5: Be respectful! This likely goes without saying, but after being on the other end I gotta say it. If someone asks you to put it away, be it that you are indoors or maybe it just plain freaks em out, do so, and even try to explain what it is. I used to be the guy at Taco Bell to have to go tell customers they couldn't vape inside as I was the only employee who was a Vapor Advocate. I approached the situation every time by saying "Hey, as much as I don't wanna do this, I have to ask you to vape. The bossman said if I can't vape inside because of corporate that he won't allow the customers to either, sorry man!" and more than once I had people get defensive as though I wasn't just as much of a Vapor Rights advocate as him.

The bottom line is guys, and I know its been said, is that we as a community have to make the CHOICE to be respectful with our vape, or like cigarettes the government is going to FORCE us to be "Respectful", and no one wants that. Look at poor Duluth, MN. We have lightsaber-lookin flippin sweet cloud chuckin devices and if we want to keep playing with our big boy (or girl) toys, we have to act like "big kids" about them. I know this probably doesn't apply to a vast majority of the existing community here, but I had to get it off my chest, and feel free to add your personal thoughts to this.

/rant

(grammatical edit 6/28)

Last edited:

dbrandt01

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2014
Alabama
I agree with you so much on this. For me, there will be people to cross the line, but I like being respectful. In Alabama where I live, it's illegal to smoke in a restaurant. So I won't vape there. If a person can smoke going down the side walk then I'll vape. But blow the vapor to the ground or away from the direction of others.

Dougiestyle

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
Knoxville, TN USA
While I agree with your sentiment, I am guilty of breaking some of your rules. While breaking the rules, technically, I always excercise discretion.

Last night, my wife and I attended a Josh Blue comedy show. Front row, center stage. Literally 5 feet from the comedian. I vaped. I did so discretely. I wasn't prepared to be removed from the venue for disturbing other patrons' experience. Nobody said a thing, afterward. I wasn't sneaky about it, but I held my vapor and exhaled through my nostrils, down the front of my shirt just to decrease the exhibit of the cloud from my Kicked Kayfun. My only fear in vaping while he performed was if a punchline came as I was drawing on my gear and I mistakenly coughed out a cloud!

DeliciousClouds

ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2014
Nijmegen, Netherlands
Those are some very good points, though I generally vape wherever outside, unless in a crowd where it might bother people. I must confess I don't really take the kids thing in mind, either, though I think that's largely the parent's responsibility still. One thing that did gobsmacked me was when I was vaping at an empty bus stop, and a kid from across the street approached me and asked me what flavor I was vaping. I told him I vaped melon, and then he said "Oh, me too." and he pulled out his eGo CE4 clone and took a puff. Christ, the bugger was like 10 years old, if not younger. :blink: He told me it was 0 nicotine, but still...

Last edited:

jstjoehere

Jun 1, 2014
Wv, usa
When vaping I follow the same rules as when smoking. I go outside I keep it away from people. Once in a while at an outside event I will have a vape in front of people but my equipment dosent put out huge clouds of vape. Yes a little more than an analog but vape dosent seem to linger like smoke. And besides Im outside and not blowing it in anyones face. If ask I will put it away.

lazyrobotlabs

Jun 20, 2014
Brainerd, MN
While I agree with your sentiment, I am guilty of breaking some of your rules. While breaking the rules, technically, I always excercise discretion.

Last night, my wife and I attended a Josh Blue comedy show.
That's where this guy will stop you. The event you were at is totally the kind of place one could cautiously vape. The audience is typically 18+, there's usually alcohol, and stand-up was once characterized by taking place in smokey clubs. You at least seem like you woulda put it away if asked!!

Also, I'd be more worried about being the punchline than coughing over one!

I must confess I don't really take the kids thing in mind, either, though I think that's largely the parent's responsibility still.

Their parent's just plain old might not have the balls to ask you to not do it around their kids, and plain old might not be good enough parents to teach their kids about it. Being seen as respectful about it not only helps us look good to the parents, but also will stick with a kid, and maybe at the very least teach them that if they DO end up vaping, to show the same respect and not be a little ...... about it with their friends. Trust me, I've seen plenty who do it, I even saw a kid blow vapor in his (or his girlfriend's) baby's face in the drive thru and chuckle about it and ask the baby if they like the smell. We need to prevent the stigmata that this is TOTALLY harmless. Lets be real here, humans were made to inhale air. That's it. Anything else you inhale will have its inherent health effects (especially with nicotine), but I still imagine it to be a sight better than what is in an analog cigarette. I don't know for sure whats in the exhale, I'm not a scientist and I don't inherently trust gov't and big toby funded scientists either, but do take what they say with a really rather small grain of salt on the off chance they aren't blowing smoke. (Pun so intended) So, that all said, it goes deeper than it being the parents responsibility. We as a community need to be proponents of being respectful with it, just like the car community had to get past the whole Fast and Furious stigma in the early 2000's

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
Thanks for that, seems like a pretty reasonable set of guidelines. And I wanted to amplify this point you made:

Rule #2: Your juice DOES have a smell, and some people just won't enjoy it like you.

My sister apparently has a sensitivity to my vape. Her throat starts getting dry and scratchy, and she gets a little congested.

That was enough to get me thinking that I don't want to be the one setting off some poor stranger's odd allergy.

Bobbilly

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2014
Canada
Thanks for that, seems like a pretty reasonable set of guidelines. And I wanted to amplify this point you made:

My sister apparently has a sensitivity to my vape. Her throat starts getting dry and scratchy, and she gets a little congested.

That was enough to get me thinking that I don't want to be the one setting off some poor stranger's odd allergy.

Don't eat peanut butter sandwiches around anyone either.

K_Tech

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
Don't eat peanut butter sandwiches around anyone either.

Lol. One of the people I work with actually got peanuts and peanut butter banned from his kid's school because his kid is allergic to peanuts.

I'm guessing you're being sarcastic, but when I eat peanuts, I don't force them into the lungs of bystanders. Vaping has the potential of being just a tad more intrusive than eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, wouldn't you say?

Bobbilly

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2014
Canada
Lol. One of the people I work with actually got peanuts and peanut butter banned from his kid's school because his kid is allergic to peanuts.

I'm guessing you're being sarcastic, but when I eat peanuts, I don't force them into the lungs of bystanders. Vaping has the potential of being just a tad more intrusive than eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, wouldn't you say?

Potential isn't actual. What about the mental anguish that a person goes through when you are eating that sandwich and potentially could squish it in their face. You really should enjoy that sandwich in the smoking area.

The school bans on peanuts aren't really that outrageous. Kids trade food and might get your kids PB&J. Also they can have it on their hands and touch the allergic kid.

Last edited:

Bobbilly

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2014
Canada
This goes back to the entitlement mentality, where one should be able to do anything and everything everywhere...

It's not entitlement. It's have a justifiable position to enforce your position onto others. Not just I don't like it. Even the allergy issue isn't that good. Look at net benefit. How many people are inconvenienced by the allergy over how many lives not smoking can save?

Last edited:

K_Tech

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
Potential isn't actual.

The school bans on peanuts aren't really that outrageous. Kids trade food and might get your kids PB&J. Also they can have it on their hands and touch the allergic kid.

I believe you're contradicting yourself.

And relax, I'm not telling YOU what to do, I'm just telling you what I do. I'm not here to set policy, just discussing things in a friendly manner. ;)

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
It's not entitlement. It's have a justifiable position to enforce your position onto others. Not just I don't like it. Even the allergy issue isn't that good. Look at net benefit. How many people are inconvenienced by the allergy over how many lives not smoking can save?

So those who smoked only where smoking was allowed suddenly can't control where they vape?

Bobbilly

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2014
Canada
I believe you're contradicting yourself.

And relax, I'm not telling YOU what to do, I'm just telling you what I do. I'm not here to set policy, just discussing things in a friendly manner. ;)

How? I'm just pointing out how some people see peanut bans as silly however don't with vaping.

And I am relaxed. It's just when the topic of where to or not to vape is usually supportive of silly vaping bans.

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
You can do what you want just don't legislate what I can do unless it's for good reason.

Do you think smokers chose where they could smoke?

It is called conforming to the rules and norms of society. Those who can't generally end up in prison or on the streets.

Yes. When I smoked, I only smoked in designated smoking areas. If I couldn't control myself and felt the need to smoke everywhere, I would have sought professional help...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread