N.E.T.'s and Coils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
For PG/VG based extractions, high levels of filtration help but only to an extent. They're still pretty gunky when compared to synthetics. Even when filtered at 1 micron, I re-wick/dry burn after every tankful (3-4ml). I've experimented with many methods in an attempt to achieve better performance but so far none have panned out.

PGA (ethanol), based extractions are cleaner. In addition to filtration, you can precipitate the oil, wax and resin out of an ethanol extraction (freezing process), making the cleanest best performing NETs I've encountered so far. I vape flavored NET (caramel, vanilla, crème, nut and or other flavorings added), and re-wick/dry burn every 12-16mls. The coils don't appear much worse than if vaping a straight synthetic like Ahlusion's Caramel Wild Wood. Performance and flavor are why ethanol is my current solvent of choice when it comes to tobacco extraction. It's pricy and requires additions steps/procedures but for me it's well worth the cost and effort.

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
Yes, you can conduct an ethanol extraction at room temperature it just won't produce the full range of flavor that a heated extraction does (in my opinion), but still tastes exceptional. The flavor it extracts is "brighter" than a PG based extraction. It's also much easier to filter, just avoid nitrocellulose based filter material due to compatibility issues. There are additional steps involved once the extraction process is finished but they really aren't too daunting.

Reactions: Devilstompa

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
Coffee filters are rated around 25-35 microns, they will catch and retain particles 25-35 microns in diameter and larger. Anything smaller than that stays in the extract no matter how many times you filter it. For a PG based extract you really should consider better filtering. A higher level of filtration will help keep your coils cleaner for longer.

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
Since I dont use PG and only have experience with VG and PGA for extracting, I found PGA the better for extracting than VG. PGA doesnt extract the sugars as quickly as VG. I even went as far as taking equal amounts of VG and PGA, adding white cane sugar to each sample and tried to dissolve the sugar into the liquids. VG has a better capacity to make the sugar dissolve as compared to the PGA.. PGA dissolved about 10% of the sugar as compared to well over 60% for the VG. Quite possible that PGA allows for a cleaner extract due to the lack of sugars removed from tobaccos treated with sugars...

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
Since I dont use PG and only have experience with VG and PGA for extracting, I found PGA the better for extracting than VG. PGA doesnt extract the sugars as quickly as VG. I even went as far as taking equal amounts of VG and PGA, adding white cane sugar to each sample and tried to dissolve the sugar into the liquids. VG has a better capacity to make the sugar dissolve as compared to the PGA.. PGA dissolved about 10% of the sugar as compared to well over 60% for the VG. Quite possible that PGA allows for a cleaner extract due to the lack of sugars removed from tobaccos treated with sugars...

Ha, I remember when we were testing PGA, PG and VG for sugar solubility... Good times! :)

And PGA (ethanol), does indeed produce a much cleaner NET.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread