N.E.T.'s and Coils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bagazo

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2009
Isn't printer paper pretty heavily treated?
Yes but I'm not worried about it. I'm sure lab filters are also bleached and all that. The difference would be the clay and/or polymer coating.

I guess anyone who might want to play it safer could look for untreated paper products. The idea is that micron filtering can be done with common household paper.

Of course, it's kitchen chemistry and there is no way of knowing what level of filtering is being accomplished but you can at least gauge the taste and gunk factor for yourself.

aceswired

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Minnesota
I've just spent 30 minutes on Google, trying to find the pore size of common printer paper. No luck. Really seems like this info should be out there somewhere.

You piqued my interest Bagazo. I'm running a little bit of one of mine through printer paper. So far, it's a very slow drip. I'm not sure if one can directly equate drip rate to filtration rating, but there's got to be a strong correlation. Getting a drip maybe every 90 seconds with an extract straight from the freezer. If coffee filters are at about 15-20 microns, I think it's safe to say this is a fair bit finer than that.

Still not excited about filtering through chemically treated paper, but this is more of a proof of concept for me.

Bagazo

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2009
Still not excited about filtering through chemically treated paper, but this is more of a proof of concept for me.
This has some pore sizes for different papers: How Paper Properties Influence Color Reproduction of Digital Proofs for Publication Gravure

Of interest is newsprint which, has 545 nm or 0.5 micron pores.

Honestly, I still inhale burning paper wrapped around tobacco so that's where I'm coming from.

Also, any type of paper that is white must have been treated with something. Nature doesn't make bleached white cellulose.

EverPresentNoob

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2015
DC Metro area
I guess Im the black sheep here... I havent even filtered mine other than putting a cotton ball at the end of a 60ml Syringe and squeezing my PG extract through that. Im not to worried about coil gunking though, I only use my NET at home and dont mind rebuilding every week. when Im out and about I use a Crown tank or my TFV4 tank with other fruity DIY juice, not my coil killing NET.

Reactions: nostradadus

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
If you do heat extraction NET would it gunk up the coils faster because the eliquid is darker ?

Heat extraction, extracts faster not really more. I don't think cold vs heat really, matters in this case. But, yes darker juice tends to be gunkier. I think it has more to do with filtering, than extraction method.

Bagazo

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2009
lots of brown cone coffee filters and cotton in the bottom of a syringe a few times. Works for me.
I think there is something that is being overlooked with coffee filters and cotton in the bottom of syringes.

I had a syringe with cotton get so clogged that I ended up breaking the syringe shaft after applying too much pressure with a caulking gun.

What I am talking about is that, after a filter starts clogging it is actually working as a filter with smaller pores.

I then started placing my soaked shredded tobacco in the syringe without the cotton. The tobacco itself started to act as a filter and, despite the syringe having a hole of about 1.5mm, I got a pretty clear looking extract.

I understand that it is something which would be hard to quantify but I think it might be something worth noting for DIY.

yourgurnard

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2015
London
My cold mac. extracts have been 'filtered' only thru' coffee filters & then syringe/cotton...they look clear but My juice (30% extract) clogs coils SO quickly!
I'm running on mesh/S.S. Rope exclusively now....NextGen (clones) for out & about & Origen Gennies & Drippers at home.
I'd LUV to try the Ethanol method....ditto filtering My PG extracts thru' 2.5 mic. filters....We just ain't properly 'supplied' over here!!! :):facepalm:

sig-cmt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 28, 2015
HoustΩn, TX
There is no best coil setup for flavor in terms of single/duals/resistance. I prefer some blends cool and others on the hot and smoky side. What I can say is that I prefer large gauge, spaced single coil builds for the express purpose of easier rewicking. Larger gauges resist coil deformation better than lower ones. Rewicking a single coil is faster that rewicking duals while preserving wicking material. I will also wick loose and have the juice partially mist onto the tongue if I am particularly fond of a blend and wish to profile its flavor further.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread