Natural Tobaccos - Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Equality 7-2521

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2013
oakland ca.
I have heard the same thing from other net makers...the rub is I am a bit intolerant of PG..once I finally after over a year admitted this to myself.... I stopped vaping pG totally...I've been vaping 100%vg juice for a long time now...I don't like it but there it is...NET juices are about the only 100%vg juices I like.

I am told that vaping a 10%pg/90%vg juice may not upset me, and it seems alot of people who use PG extractions mix at a bout 10-15 % extraction to 85-90% VG when they make juice...but up until recently I haven't risked it....I'm playing around with 10-15% pg juices to see what happens....from everything I've read cold maceration with PG is the way to go... a long 1-2 month steep in leaves, then extraction.Whereas it seems cold extrations with VG don't seem to work that well even after a month of steeping...in honesty I should probablly try a 2 month steep of VG to see what it is like..
I don't know that there is an advantage. Based on a fresh vs fresh comparison I would give the nod to straight cold maceration. It seems that the flavors come out more defined, separated, and clear. Now, that might be something that could be fixed with longer maceration time. So, I left my Paul Stulac Lord of Albany soaking. To me the heat did change the taste a little bit. The cold maceration is bright and clear with the flavors being more of the focus. The heated method seems to make things darker and more opaque with a taste that leans more towards the way flavors present when smoking. (At least to me it does.) I think the cold method will be my preferred method from now on.

Last edited:

billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com
I don't know that there is an advantage. Based on a fresh vs fresh comparison I would give the nod to straight cold maceration. It seems that the flavors come out more defined, separated, and clear. Now, that might be something that could be fixed with longer maceration time. So, I left my Paul Stulac Lord of Albany soaking. To me the heat did change the taste a little bit. The cold maceration is bright and clear with the flavors being more of the focus. The heated method seems to make things darker and more opaque with a taste that leans more towards the way flavors present when smoking. (At least to me it does.) I think the cold method will be my preferred method from now on.

With one or two exceptions, all my extractions have been heat-assisted (water bath). Why? Mainly because I'm impatient. Is the flavor of my heat-assisted extracts better, worse, or different than equivalent extracts made using room-temp slow macerations? I don't really know. I've vaped only one head-to-head comparison of the same pipe tobacco (Sultan's Blend) from my own heat-assisted, short-steep PG/VG blend solvent and Johni's room-temp, long-steep all-PG extraction. I couldn't discern any difference between them in flavor or any other quality (color, vapor production, etc.). I'm not suggesting that there was no difference, just that I didn't perceive any.

Based solely on personal opinion, and admitting the possibilities of unconscious bias, I consider the choice between "heat-assisted" and "cold-process" macerated extraction to be less about qualities of the finished extract than it is about the temperament of the extractor. Maybe I'm wrong about that---perhaps measurable differences exist in the respective extracts, but I can't tell, so I think it mostly comes down to who's doing the extraction and what pleases that person.

checkum

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2014
Missouri, USA
I have heard the same thing from other net makers...the rub is I am a bit intolerant of PG..once I finally after over a year admitted this to myself.... I stopped vaping pG totally...I've been vaping 100%vg juice for a long time now...I don't like it but there it is...NET juices are about the only 100%vg juices I like.

I am told that vaping a 10%pg/90%vg juice may not upset me, and it seems alot of people who use PG extractions mix at a bout 10-15 % extraction to 85-90% VG when they make juice...but up until recently I haven't risked it....I'm playing around with 10-15% pg juices to see what happens....from everything I've read cold maceration with PG is the way to go... a long 1-2 month steep in leaves, then extraction.Whereas it seems cold extrations with VG don't seem to work that well even after a month of steeping...in honesty I should probablly try a 2 month steep of VG to see what it is like..

Have you tried to extract with PGA or a combination of VG and PGA?
Toms59 gave me this idea along with other very helpful tips

Last edited:

boomerdude

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
IMHO An initial 1/2 hour of 150F helps release flavor molecules. A long room temperature steep after the heat provides me with all the flavor I think I'm going to get out of a particular extraction. A lot of my extracts change their flavor profile after the made juice has steeped for a month or longer, especially cigars. So, a long wait is in the cards no matter how you look at it. :2c:

sandman97289

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2014
San Jose, CA, USA
Personally I have found that too much heat produces muddled flavors. When I did my first extract I accidentally set my slow cooker to the "high" setting for 3-4 hours which almost brings the water to a boil. After reducing it to the lowest setting and letting it brew for another day the resultant extracts were not great and the flavors were very murky. I now stick to 2 days of 12 hours each in the slow cooker at the lowest setting, then I let the extract sit with the tobacco for about 10 days at room temperature. I notice the flavors are now brighter and distinct.

So in short, it may not be a question of heat macerations versus cold macerations, it could just be related to applying too much heat.

NotSoMini

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2014
Not knowing what to expect and more out of curiosity I ordered one of NET.com’s new NET custom tobaccos 'Dat Caramel Brownie in'da Pipe?. I was not quite sure if I would like this or if it would be too sweet for me. It is definitely not sweet however as strange as it sounds I can taste the chocolate and caramel. The Cavendish blends well with the other flavors, is middle of the road in intensity and adds some earthiness to the vape. In that this liquid is not sweet IMO I can vape it just about all day long.

Being a Va/Per fan, I couldn’t pass up trying Clay’s N-E-T Custom Va/Per Blend . All I can say is if you like Va/Per blends you will like this. There are several Virginias in this blend however I am not experienced enough to differentiate the various Viriginias used other than I really like this. If you like Va/Per give this a try and if you do not nor have you tried Va/Per blends give this one a try.

67Tele

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2014
Austin
Being a Va/Per fan, I couldn’t pass up trying Clay’s N-E-T Custom Va/Per Blend . All I can say is if you like Va/Per blends you will like this. There are several Virginias in this blend however I am not experienced enough to differentiate the various Viriginias used other than I really like this. If you like Va/Per give this a try and if you do not nor have you tried Va/Per blends give this one a try.

The Va/Per was one of the blends I received yesterday. They were kind enough to also send samples of Choctaw Perique and Chris' Blend. Looking forward to all of it. Thanks for the review!

Skeebo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 31, 2014
Hey guys, I wanted to ask your opinion on something. I've been dripping all of the NET's I've gotten over the last few weeks, ordering all of them in 6mg. All of my non NET juices I vape at 12mg in my Kayfuns. My question is in regards to an upcoming order I want to place with both MOV and W2V, and their NET line, are either one of these vendors able to go a full tank in the Kayfun, or should they be dripped as well? It helps to know beforehand so I know which nic level I need to order. I did make the mistake of ordering all my Quick Nic juices at 12mg and the Kayfun barely handles half a tank before those NET's start giving me that burnt taste.

Any advice is much appreciated. If you have a particular juice recommendation among these two vendors it would be helpful as well.

johni

Extractor
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2012
Columbia, Missouri
I agrre with Bill, cold maceration vs. heat assisted (if you avoid excessive heat) both can produce wonderful results and temperament of the extractor will be a big determining factor. I prefer cold steeps because they require the least work and extractions are never exposed to potentially carmelizing heat.

Flavorful extract is far more dependent on blend selection than extraction method employed. Adequate filtration does effect juice performance but cheap , easy filtering produces results as good as any more elaborate home setups.

Extraction is definitely gratifying and the savings are substantial. While experimentation has been the only way we've moved forward, it seems lately, some are trying to make it an expensive hobby, investing in various equipment and trying some pretty exotic methods. I use less than $10 worth of equipment, keep it simple, and am happy with the results. Do whatever works for you and keeps you happy but relax and enjoy it.:D

ETA: Bill, you also have my La. Red as a head to head.

Last edited:

Hulamoon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2012
Waikiki Hawaii
Hey Skeebo - I can't speak for MOV - but W2V is a heavy hefty juice that will gunk up - at least the ones I ordered i.e. alcazar - they even give you an atty cleaner sample with the samples. So you may want to drip that. Mind you, I was able to use a T2 successfully, but that's probably sounding too much like the Stone Age for ya. lol But man, I love the Morley!

Hey guys, I wanted to ask your opinion on something. I've been dripping all of the NET's I've gotten over the last few weeks, ordering all of them in 6mg. All of my non NET juices I vape at 12mg in my Kayfuns. My question is in regards to an upcoming order I want to place with both MOV and W2V, and their NET line, are either one of these vendors able to go a full tank in the Kayfun, or should they be dripped as well? It helps to know beforehand so I know which nic level I need to order. I did make the mistake of ordering all my Quick Nic juices at 12mg and the Kayfun barely handles half a tank before those NET's start giving me that burnt taste.

Any advice is much appreciated. If you have a particular juice recommendation among these two vendors it would be helpful as well.

Skeebo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 31, 2014
Hey Skeebo - I can't speak for MOV - but W2V is a heavy hefty juice that will gunk up - at least the ones I ordered i.e. alcazar - they even give you an atty cleaner sample with the samples. So you may want to drip that. Mind you, I was able to use a T2 successfully, but that's probably sounding too much like the Stone Age for ya. lol But man, I love the Morley!

Much thanks!

Jerms

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2011
Fargo

MOV doesn't have 6mg for their NETs, they have 0, 9, 18, and 24. 9mg may work for ya in both?

Most of W2V are pretty gunky, probably not for tank. MOV should make it through a tank, possibly a few depending on set-up.

I've noticed lately that set-up makes a big difference in gunk speed. I'm going a lot longer between coil maintenance these days.

Equality 7-2521

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2013
oakland ca.
Yeah I went down to my local hardware store...which is a good one and was able to rube goldberg a buchner funnel and a vaccum filtering system that i can hook up to a home vaccum cleaner and adjust the strngth of the draw. the whole thing cost me like 20 bucks.

QUOTE=johni;14520465]I agrre with Bill, cold maceration vs. heat assisted (if you avoid excessive heat) both can produce wonderful results and temperament of the extractor will be a big determining factor. I prefer cold steeps because they require the least work and extractions are never exposed to potentially carmelizing heat.

Flavorful extract is far more dependent on blend selection than extraction method employed. Adequate filtration does effect juice performance but cheap , easy filtering produces results as good as any more elaborate home setups.

Extraction is definitely gratifying and the savings are substantial. While experimentation has been the only way we've moved forward, it seems lately, some are trying to make it an expensive hobby, investing in various equipment and trying some pretty exotic methods. I use less than $10 worth of equipment, keep it simple, and am happy with the results. Do whatever works for you and keeps you happy but relax and enjoy it.:D

ETA: Bill, you also have my La. Red as a head to head.[/QUOTE]

johni

Extractor
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2012
Columbia, Missouri

MOV NETs tend to be cleaner than QNJ and W2V gunkier. That said, both MOV and W2V have must-try offerings for Netizens.

Frankenmizer

ECF Veteran
Jul 6, 2013
Dimension V

I can confirm that. W2V makes great, hearty NETs, but that also makes them world-class gunkers. Louisville is the star for me, but it's followed closely by Managua and Alcazar.

patioclark

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2014
Lafayette, CO USA

Skeebo, I vape commercial and our homemade NETs in my Kayfun. 1.5 ohm single coil at around 11 watts. I always get one good tank through and often two. When I get lazy and try for a triple I usually regret it. Oh, with KGD pretty well stuffed in there. I think most folks find the drippers to be better flavor but I just like the convenience of the Tank.

boomerdude

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Yes, high heat is just going to vaporize the flavor molecules away so your left with a grassy, hay tasting soup. Even if your container is covered the condensation that gathers on the bottom of the cover collects the molecules and even if they fall back into the soup they won't be re-absorbed.

johni

Extractor
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2012
Columbia, Missouri
I'm starting to get the idea that using a gennys with NETs is absurd I might get through 1.5 tank before I need to rebuild....I am toying with the idea of squonking NETs...it just that I'm not crazy about cotton ,rayon, or silica.
Came to the same realization (about gennys) myself. I squonk NETs everyday and wouldn't go back. KGD cotton wicks make a big difference and are perfect for bottom feeding IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread