Natural Tobaccos - Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

boomerdude

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
This from Pipes and Cigars:

Russ spends a lot of his time blending tobaccos. He is always working on new blends and concepts. When he released the first Monthly blends, sales took off and everyone was waiting for the next blend, so Russ went back to the laboratory and created something new. For the last few years his monthly blends have become P&C favorites. But sadly, due to some new regulations that are coming, his monthly blends are going away. If you smoke these blends on a regular basis or have wanted to try a few, now's the time.

And so it goes. The Snowflakes have spoken. How dare we try to enjoy ourselves.

Smocian257

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2014
Green Valley, Arizona
So not in a freezer which was my suggestion for long term storage of the extracts. I never implied storing extracts at room temp.

Stored at room temp, I would worry about bacteria or fungi growth. That's why I said in a freezer.

The alternative was storing whole leaf in a good humidor, where it should last like cigars can, for decades. But the bulk is an issue as is problems with the humidor.

Freezer temps will destroy the delicate aromatic volatiles IMO , and PG and VG are antimicrobial / antifungal so thats not a worry.

I agree though the best bet is long term storage the same way pipe and cigar smokers do it, if they can keep things tinned for decades its no different for us.

Reactions: AnthonyB

Smocian257

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2014
Green Valley, Arizona
I've had great results with the Theorem's I've gotten recently... Great flavor, almost zero chance of leakage, really easy to rebuild expecially using a notch coil. The down sides are the capacity, being around 2-3ml, and I've heard some people have been too rough when removing the glass and have broken it ( I haven't yet personally though ).

I'll check it out, thanks! - is it a hinge lock for refills or...?

rdsok

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Norman, Ok
I'll check it out, thanks! - is it a hinge lock for refills or...?

The top cap plugs the fill hole and provides top air flow also... air flow can be setup for single or dual coils

Wismec-Theorem-RTA-Atomizer-6.jpg

Reactions: Smocian257

Smocian257

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2014
Green Valley, Arizona
Got my final results from sub micron filtering and it seems to be a win (although clearly the lions share of reduced gunking was just from the better coils and presumably the icnreased surface area)

My experiment here regards using sub micron filtration of the concentrate in an attempt to lessen this effect, my hypothesis being that starches (amylose and amylopectin) from the leaf are the main culprits in the gunking.

Below is the name of the juice followed by how many ml I was able to vape before gunking / burnt taste , then the coil used and finally where applicable the level of filtration.

blacknote sample pack (mix of tobacco varieties) - 57ml , tfq4 coil, unknown filtration size

blend 11 (a blend I made) - 46ml , tfq4 coil (used @ 4% concentration) , 2 micron filtration

blacknote cav only (sonata) - 53 ml , tf-clp2 coil , unknown filtration

mcc 2025 - 48ml , tf-clp2 coil, 2 micron filter

mac 20225 (0.03 ohm) - 58ml , tf-clp2 oil, 0.03 micron filtration

kanger protanks 15ml

I also did not notice any major flavor difference at sub micron filtration, YMMV - word per others on ECF is that flavor was diminished at even 0.5 micron filtration (perhaps different leaf would have different effect in this regard)

So , I was happy to see that the sub micron filtration did seem to have noticeable effect on coil longevity however, we can see from the above (comparison with older style coils - kanger protank in this instance) that the lions share of improvement comes not from better filtration but simply from better coil technology (presumably simply more surface area)

However, if you are vaping 15ml a day and don't want to be tied down to an RDA and dripping all the time or switching out wicking material an extra 5 or 10ml per coil before changing really does add up over time (buying bulk these smok coils are 4-5 dollars a piece)

The reason I used Smok tfv4 coils is that they simply happend to be in stock at a local b&m when I upgraded from my atlantis - I suspect similar results would follow from other newer setups.

I'd like to replicate the experiment to see if 0.015 micron and even just 0.5 micron has the same effect and perhaps what if any flavor difference I would see with other leaf varieties but for now i'll be moving on to some other projects.

Smocian257

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2014
Green Valley, Arizona
Here is billherbst's list of NET vendors copied from the first thread... Since the links won't copy because I couldn't use the quote feature... here is the link to the post he worked so hard on as well... Natural Tobaccos

Its fairly out of date, Ethervapes closed shop for instance.

rdsok

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Norman, Ok
Its fairly out of date, Ethervapes closed shop for instance.

If you are volunteering to update the links etc... since that lists info is user provided.... go for it... otherwise none of us that don't provide updates can't complain and must take it as it is....

If you do find updates, a mod must make the changes ... I'm uncertain if the mod for this thread is Dusty or not now...

Last edited:

67Tele

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2014
Austin
yaGorY9xiVr8IaffXT_PKiF61c909-Ib19eaFn41WOoaqr2mmEYQ6EGe37mUoOeHu5siTmkSiqYTjhBb6Puhsg-L_7TTTU9OnPZDaFiqWIVHkumniI93EEFCmchKcnm8J5K-rVx1Xm9LUssfNNC8uQvkqqG_bsm_cvWnv4RbJm7kAz1NVSNYzN_xg-uALuHP_Zlmlxrm2YJ72AFuAvBg3lU8wqmtqbcoMFwP8el0Xy_dASyXxz6aXxisgt_ITcI_bKCGmj4lIRFe8PvuYt4SPuN4rV06rNuLbNdEdLzNpFdMXsXCrDw0uKkklY0OSKickTsTeYqfuOAqhj3RUJaK36o=s0-d-e1-ft

PwY8zeozY2N-IcCD2_ylKeRnWztoJgQEUzy1x6UO5C_9NWN4oAhHKJ3ziNyVXtXzsh48LD_Qj7IQWN4G7uMz3tQ4Q4L_qdkUhbASv83bqT-i=s0-d-e1-ft

Happy 4th of July from MOUNTAIN OAK VAPORS

SAVE 20% OFF YOUR ENTIRE ONLINE ORDER
JUNE 30TH - JULY 4TH WITH COUPON CODE
JULY2016

This weekend we celebrate our independence day, and while we hope all of our customers have a wonderful time relaxing with friends & family we also hope that you will find some time to take a look at everything new we have to offer at Mountain Oak Vapors.

Okay, okay, we know we have to do better then that, so how about 20% off WEBSITE WIDE? Now that's a deal worth taking advantage!

Starting Thursday June 30th through Monday July 4th you can save 20% off your entire order by using coupon code "JULY2016" at checkout! This discount stacks with our every-day 15% off 3 bottles of E-Liquid or more, meaning you can save up to 35% off your E-Liquid purchases!

If you have not visited the Mountain yet, now is the best time! Already a customer but haven't had the chance to try our latest products? There is no better time than this weekend!

Stock up and save big this 4th of July with Mountain Oak Vapors!
REMEMBER YOU CAN SAVE AN ADDITIONAL 15%
ON 3 BOTTLES OR MORE, ANY E-LIQUID ANY DAY!

PwY8zeozY2N-IcCD2_ylKeRnWztoJgQEUzy1x6UO5C_9NWN4oAhHKJ3ziNyVXtXzsh48LD_Qj7IQWN4G7uMz3tQ4Q4L_qdkUhbASv83bqT-i=s0-d-e1-ft

9gFT-K3OfS5JxCujzfXavZ3CPDihaLt9XDsrhYAJPUzT0LMXAlolPUfdlKowIjoJ0zVPo9s_-4dK6pT2rl16v67TdqGkFFHegsMDCPnej7ShJTbz8R93iwDJatecYUJzOb0A4GyXv8wfw__TbHp_lh2M2-uGZKBs-Pncmq784jEbGuzvBRFnU94FCtPBHNrp0SbzMHc=s0-d-e1-ft

WWW.MOUNTAINOAKVAPORS.COM

AnthonyB

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
Sydney Australia
Represented here because I think this post from another thread is somewhat relevant here.

I am loving Naturally-extracted-tobacco.com (god it sucks typing that out in tapa) selection of tea Vapes. They are macerated so it's all natural. You have to like tart nuanced flavors so these are not sweet. I am currently vaping the Yerba Mate at the moment and am loving it. It's a touch bitter, slightly tart and is an exactamundo replication of tea in Vape form. NET.com has 4 tea varieties on offer. They are all good and a somewhat alternative for lovers of naturally extracted tobaccos.

Actually, if these deeming regs stick and tobacco vendors are put under the knife I might try my hand at macerating quality tea leaves. There is so much potential in this sub-genre and no one has tried it. There are sweet teas, botanical teas. Tea, much like tobacco, is often cased with flavors that lend themselves well to macerations in much the same way the casings in pipe tobacco often provide much of the flavor profile in a tobacco juice. The tea leaf has so many properties which are similar to tobacco leaves and would lend themselves to macerations similar to tobacco. The methods would be almost the same.

Tea also side steps the deeming regs because it's not tobacco.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
Actually, if these deeming regs stick and tobacco vendors are put under the knife I might try my hand at macerating quality tea leaves.

Thinking along the same lines, if they ever stop offering tobacco flavors, I found an unlikely substitute. You may laugh, but Tiramisu from Flavor Art reminds me of smoking. It has a slightly bitter-sweet/burning taste - in a nice way of course. I think the bitter taste comes from the dark chocolate inside.

Last edited:

Smocian257

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2014
Green Valley, Arizona
Represented here because I think this post from another thread is somewhat relevant here.

I am loving Naturally-extracted-tobacco.com (god it sucks typing that out in tapa) selection of tea Vapes. They are macerated so it's all natural. You have to like tart nuanced flavors so these are not sweet. I am currently vaping the Yerba Mate at the moment and am loving it. It's a touch bitter, slightly tart and is an exactamundo replication of tea in Vape form. NET.com has 4 tea varieties on offer. They are all good and a somewhat alternative for lovers of naturally extracted tobaccos.

Actually, if these deeming regs stick and tobacco vendors are put under the knife I might try my hand at macerating quality tea leaves. There is so much potential in this sub-genre and no one has tried it. There are sweet teas, botanical teas. Tea, much like tobacco, is often cased with flavors that lend themselves well to macerations in much the same way the casings in pipe tobacco often provide much of the flavor profile in a tobacco juice. The tea leaf has so many properties which are similar to tobacco leaves and would lend themselves to macerations similar to tobacco. The methods would be almost the same.

Tea also side steps the deeming regs because it's not tobacco.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had some jasmine tea extract juice from ethervapes that was spot on, gave me a headache though. Does that mate carry a buzz? i'd never even considered it

I'd think the "terroir" on tea leafs would lend to much more in depth exploration just from an availability POV (for instance most orientals aren't available in hobbyist amounts / syrian latakia has a not so hot record of stable supply and good luck finding a good english style cavendish in the US!)

AnthonyB

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
Sydney Australia
I had some jasmine tea extract juice from ethervapes that was spot on, gave me a headache though. Does that mate carry a buzz? i'd never even considered it

I'd think the "terroir" on tea leafs would lend to much more in depth exploration just from an availability POV (for instance most orientals aren't available in hobbyist amounts / syrian latakia has a not so hot record of stable supply and good luck finding a good english style cavendish in the US!)

Any buzz would come from the nicotine. The Yerba mate and the other teas offered by NET.com are surprisingly good. If someone told me to blind taste them and ask me if they were a NET I would say yes.

Surprisingly I think tea extractions might have a greater spectrum of flavor and nuance than tobacco because there are so many ways teas can be infused. There are also many varietals of teas around the world and like tobacco, climate and soil play a big part.

Reactions: Str8vision

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
Check the regs again. If nicotine free liquids and wire are tobacco products, everything is.

Many of the flavors we vape are already classified as approved food grade and therefore can not be legally banned. Same applies to wire and items such as pg/vg. It all depends on whether or not they are marked under "vaping" products. Some vendors already have marketing plans to bypass the regs. The real concern is Nic itself and tobacco flavors. They are not classified as food.

Last edited:

ST Dog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2013
Rocket City
It all depends on whether or not they are marked under "vaping" products. Some vendors already have marketing plans to bypass the regs.

Having went through the re-marketing of RYO tobacco as pipe tobacco for tax purposes (SCHIP) I know that drill.
But, it will still affect most components.

Reactions: Exchaner

67Tele

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2014
Austin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread