Status
Not open for further replies.

rdsok

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Norman, Ok
This had crossed my mind. What steps can I take to keep it all clean? I imagine the jar should be boiled before use. Keep the cap on once steeping. What else though? Since tobacco is organic matter, I can image microbes would love to hang out in that jar and have an orgy during the steep. PG, is somewhat antimicrobial from my understanding but is it enough to keep mold/bacteria under control during a long steep? Any tips on sanitation would be greatly appreciated.

The only things you have any control over, would mostly be the jars and any tools you use. Proper storage of the tobacco so it doesn't mold/mildew etc is probably in order also. I don't extract so more than that should come from the others that do.

MFToms59

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2012
Nevada
I will argue that point... but only barely...

The only rule if any.... keep everything sterile and clean or you risk growing something in the extract that you do not want.

I figured this to be something we'd all do whether cooking , brewing or making e-juices... I stand corrected.

MFToms59

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2012
Nevada
This had crossed my mind. What steps can I take to keep it all clean? I imagine the jar should be boiled before use. Keep the cap on once steeping. What else though? Since tobacco is organic matter, I can image microbes would love to hang out in that jar and have an orgy during the steep. PG, is somewhat antimicrobial from my understanding but is it enough to keep mold/bacteria under control during a long steep? Any tips on sanitation would be greatly appreciated.

I submerge my jars in a covered pot of boiled water & white Vinegar for ~15 minutes then remove & dry when I'm ready to load it, same with my beakers, hand blender and funnel. PG, PGA or other drinking alcohol will work fine, distilled water on its own will not.

rdsok

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Norman, Ok
I figured this to be something we'd all do whether cooking , brewing or making e-juices... I stand corrected.

I used to sort of think that way... until I realized that common sense... isn't as common as we'd like to believe. So dealing with people I don't know, I try to assume nothing going as far sometimes to say things that don't need to be said... because I've meet enough folks that now need told anyway.

Smocian257

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2014
Green Valley, Arizona
Well, between this thread and the original NET thread, it seems I have about um.. 2000 pages to catch up on. Slightly overwhelming but hey, if I can knock out 10 pages a day then I'll be all caught up by er.. January 2017. :facepalm:

Unless maybe there's a Cole's Notes of NETs floating around here somewhere..

The wikivapia on NET's is a quick and dirty run down

Honestly their is no "best way" as far as heat vs cold maceration or time used , its just lots of personal preference

Smocian257

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2014
Green Valley, Arizona

You would be hard pressed to find a microbe that can live in a solution above 30% propylene glycol

Perhaps the TB bug but thats not exactly endemic in north america.

I suppose it couldnt hurt though.

I do isopropyl washes but just to get all the funk from the last batch of tobacco out - mold and bacteria are not big on my worry list with a PG solution.

Reactions: AnthonyB

NotSoMini

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2014
Seems almost the end of an era..... Hum, maybe it is..... Glad I home extract! First Ethervapes, now Diane, hope Clay can hold out for a long time.

It is too bad that Diane is giving up so soon. Actually Ethervapes is still available. Vash sells through his Facebook account. He left ECF and went to another forum, and after that he started selling on Facebook for whatever reason. I don’t think he ever gave up his day job. As far as I know Clay is planning to be around at least for the next two years. It ain’t over till the fat lady sings.

MFToms59

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2012
Nevada
I used to sort of think that way... until I realized that common sense... isn't as common as we'd like to believe. So dealing with people I don't know, I try to assume nothing going as far sometimes to say things that don't need to be said... because I've meet enough folks that now need told anyway.

You're right, common sense does seem to be in short supply these days. :cry:

... Honestly their is no "best way" as far as heat vs cold maceration or time used , its just lots of personal preference

Correct, you stated it more succinctly than I did :thumb:

boomerdude

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
After trying just about every extraction method using PGA, VG & PG, I prefer the assisted heat method. I use this for all my extractions. One hundred mls heated to 150F in a jar. Then fill with 1 oz. of tobacco stirred and shaken. Tobacco is put up for 30 Days. Cigars, I do the same except I layer the cigar in the jar as it was made and let it sit for 45-60 days depending on the type of cigar. Oscuro and Maduro's get the shorter 45 day steep with 60 days for the rest. I use an Aeropress to initially filter the extract then a 5 micron filter. A 20% flavor ratio usually does it, with 30% for cigars.

After about 120 different extracts I settled for 10 favorites. These are in addition to the few NET's I buy and 2 or 3 non-nets I make.

I do all the American Spirit tobacco's, A couple of Tatiana cigars, Ashton Artisan, Pennington Gap, Coyote Classic and Old Joe Krantz. I make my own RY4, Castle Long and Cafe' Expresso. For a treat I'll go with Goodjuice, W2V or MOV if they're on sale.

Last edited:

Boxster

ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2012
Buda, Tx

Smocian257

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2014
Green Valley, Arizona
After trying just about every extraction method using PGA, VG & PG, I prefer the assisted heat method. I use this for all my extractions. One hundred mls heated to 150F in a jar. Then fill with 1 oz. of tobacco stirred and shaken. Tobacco is put up for 30 Days. Cigars, I do the same except I layer the cigar in the jar as it was made and let it sit for 45-60 days depending on the type of cigar. Oscuro and Maduro's get the shorter 45 day steep with 60 days for the rest. I use an Accupress to initially filter the extract then a 5 micron filter. A 20% flavor ratio usually does it, with 30% for cigars.

After about 120 different extracts I settled for 10 favorites. These are in addition to the few NET's I buy and 2 or 3 non-nets I make.

I do all the American Spirit tobacco's, A couple of Tatiana cigars, Ashton Artisan, Pennington Gap, Coyote Classic and Old Joe Krantz. I make my own RY4, Castle Long and Cafe' Expresso. For a treat I'll go with Goodjuice, W2V or MOV if they're on sale.

We so rarely talk notty gritty nowaday , you only do one heat cycle on these boomer?

T_Mace

Jul 29, 2016
I believe he meant Aeropress.
Amazon.com: Aeropress Coffee and Espresso Maker: French Presses: Kitchen & Dining

You may want to read through these threads.
Cold maceration of tobacco

Slow Cooker Extraction of Tobacco and Tea

Tobacco extraction using heated Ethanol

After dozens of PG extractions I have now completely switched to cold PGA extractions. PGA yields a much cleaner (less gunky) extraction.

That makes much more sense! (Referring to the Aeropress :)

And thanks for the other links. Very useful. Hadn't known there were other threads for various methods. Much appreciated.

jonnydoe

ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2015
Germany
I am putting 2-3g tobacco with 50-70ml Ethanol and 70ml base (VG/PG/nicotine) in a jar. Than i heat it at 45-50°C for 4 days in my sous vide in the jars. After this i evaporate the ethanol in the oven at 45°C for 3-4 hours and filter it through a 2,5 micron filter for 2 days. The result is a 60ml ready to vape juice with no need for steeping. Its the best way i have found till last year.

I like most the stokkebye turkish 84 pipe tobacco and 4-5 other, for example basma or semi oriental from leafsonly. I have tried ca. 100 tobaccos and some cigars. I love turkish tobaccos but its hard to find good ones. The samsun in the stokkebye is a very good one.

Last edited:
Reactions: AnthonyB

AnthonyB

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
Sydney Australia
The top cap plugs the fill hole and provides top air flow also... air flow can be setup for single or dual coils

Wismec-Theorem-RTA-Atomizer-6.jpg

It is a great tank for flavor. I love my Theorem but that air flow control ring has to go. It's awfully inconvenient and fiddly. My concern is that there won't be a 2nd edition being made in the USA with the redirections on new developments commencing on August 8.

T_Mace

Jul 29, 2016
I got a lot of help in the beginning, especially for what equipment to get started here: Getting started,help please

Thanks for this. Great read! With so many threads to comb through, it's nice to see a step by step guide for cold extract which was about the second or third post in the thread you linked. Cheers!

67Tele

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2014
Austin
Thanks for this. Great read! With so many threads to comb through, it's nice to see a step by step guide for cold extract which was about the second or third post in the thread you linked. Cheers!

Glad to help. Those guys, along with the fine bunch here, got me started and have continued to help unselfishly with advice, suggestions, with some laughs tossed in. Several folks here have been trying different tobaccos and posting their thoughts. Drop by: Best tobacco for flavor extraction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread