Nautilus BVC dry/metallic tasting hits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lwscable

Apr 11, 2015
I'm using my nautilus with 1.8ohm BVC coils on a OMAX mod.
I'm onto my 4th coil in so many days and are wondering why they keep giving different problems. The past 3 have all flooded massively, so I put them aside and tried my 4th. I put it in late last night and left it to soak for a good hour before taking any hits. The tokes seemed quite dry and really metallic, I'm almost getting no flavour from this coil at all.
I've tried varying my wattage and voltage (W from 7-15, V from 3.7-4.2) but no matter what I'm still getting no flavour from this coil. I'm sceptical about putting in primer drops as I don't want to flood the coil and end up inhaling the juice I put in, but is this the only way?
If anyone has had this problem with the BVC coils I'd appreciate the advice.
Thank you.

ellejewell

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2015
Fl.
I find mine works great at 4.9-5v with medium air flow. I notice you can set the voltage slightly higher with a more airy draw and a lower voltage on a tighter one. When I first got mine I had a problem with gurgling and it was because the voltage was too low and it wouldn't vape off the juice fast enough. Try 4.5v and work your way up one click at a time. Just be careful not to go to high or you will burn your wick. Good luck!

Lwscable

Apr 11, 2015
From what I have learned about the BVC's you need to use a 50/50 juice or thinner for proper wicking.

I'm aware of this, so have a 50/50 juice which has not given bad flavour or any dry hits in the other coils (though they have flooded). Any other suggestions? Suggestions on how to fix this problem right now rather than use all of my new coils in 5 days?

Lwscable

Apr 11, 2015
I find mine works great at 4.9-5v with medium air flow. I notice you can set the voltage slightly higher with a more airy draw and a lower voltage on a tighter one. When I first got mine I had a problem with gurgling and it was because the voltage was too low and it wouldn't vape off the juice fast enough. Try 4.5v and work your way up one click at a time. Just be careful not to go to high or you will burn your wick. Good luck!

Now using it on 4.5v and finding that it just tastes more metallic? I think that is a silicone (as online some people have described it as this) taste though I have never tastes silicone. Voltage doesn't seem to fix it, any other suggestions? I may have burnt the wick, but doubt this strongly as it was tasting like this from the first puff.

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
You don't have to set your coils aside just because they are flooded.

To fix a flooded atomizer take your tank off the battery and blow through the mouthpiece (with a paper towel under it or cover the airflow hole). This will drain the extra eliquid.

When you inhale, take a long smooth draw vs a short sharp draw. This will prevent extra eliquid from being pulled into your coils and flooding it. Inhalation technique with an e-cigarette

Whenever you first sense that your atomizer is beginning to flood try this:
1. Open up the airflow so when you take a hit you are not pulling in as much juice into your coils.
2. Raise your voltage or wattage. This will vaporize more eliquid.
3. Tip your battery up (and take a few hits). By tipping it up you will prevent more eliquid from being fed into the coils.

Give one or all of these a try.:)

skullblade789

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2015
Waynesboro, PA
With the BVC's it is my advice to put 10-12 drops into the BVC coil. Let it sit for about 2 minutes. Take ten quick short bursts of vape to get the vapor flowing. If too much and you get the gurgling sound (flooding) take the tank off and with a rag near the air hole blow into it. This will rid your tank of excess and then vape away. I have had to this with my coils at times. I have a nautilus mini. I also prime my coils with two drops every time I fill up.

Lwscable

Apr 11, 2015
You don't have to set your coils aside just because they are flooded.

To fix a flooded atomizer take your tank off the battery and blow through the mouthpiece (with a paper towel under it or cover the airflow hole). This will drain the extra eliquid.

When you inhale, take a long smooth draw vs a short sharp draw. This will prevent extra eliquid from being pulled into your coils and flooding it. Inhalation technique with an e-cigarette

Whenever you first sense that your atomizer is beginning to flood try this:
1. Open up the airflow so when you take a hit you are not pulling in as much juice into your coils.
2. Raise your voltage or wattage. This will vaporize more eliquid.
3. Tip your battery up (and take a few hits). By tipping it up you will prevent more eliquid from being fed into the coils.

Give one or all of these a try.:)

Yes I've cleaned out the entire tank (and even tried cleaning one of the coils and drying it) but once I start using the coil again, it starts to flood once again. I've tried higher power and it doesn't seem to work, but I will try again now as the flavour from this current coil is terrible.

ellejewell

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2015
Fl.
Now using it on 4.5v and finding that it just tastes more metallic? I think that is a silicone (as online some people have described it as this) taste though I have never tastes silicone. Voltage doesn't seem to fix it, any other suggestions? I may have burnt the wick, but doubt this strongly as it was tasting like this from the first puff.

Just a thought.... but are you used to using plastic drip tips? Because the nautilus has a metal tip I get a metallic taste as well, but I have gotten used to it. I've had my nautilus for over a week now. If that is the case you could try getting a glass drip tip and see if that helps. Thats all I got. Oh try playing with the air flow on the tank as well.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
Prime new head, make sure airflow chamber in base & air tube is dry.
Inspect head mounting area to ensure there isn't a stuck o ring from another head on base to head sealing surface.
Tighten head into base, fill tank, do not over tighten tank to base just snug enough to prevent leaking.
Take a few unpowered primer puffs, start off at a low power setting for the first dozen or so vapes, slowly increase power to desired range.

Too strong of an inhale or too restrictive airflow setting or head not tightened securely into base cause flooding.
Try inhaling gently for a couple seconds after releasing fire button to clear vapor & condensation from air tube.

kaahn

ECF Veteran
Mar 26, 2015
Eastern NC
The flooding is running at too low power and sucking in too much e-liquid = once it floods you have to take emergency action. Either blast it at crazy power or fire it upside down.

Best way to fix a flooded nautilus is to remove it off device, wrap it in a paper towel or tissue, and sling it mouth piece down several times hard. The paper towel is to catch the access juice that is slung from the driptip. Works every time for me. Best to prime the coils to the point of flooding before attaching them to your tank rather being under primed and burn your coil up. 50/50 does work best but I have had success with 80/20 VG/pg before. Start low watts and slowly move watts up after 5 or so puffs. I rarely go above 12 watts with my nautilus 1.6 ohm coils.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
Just tried out an old flooded coil, and the it tastes burnt? Any suggestions why this is

Not much info to go on to give an answer.

Dark or colored and especially sweet liquids tend to clog wicking material reducing wicking ability and cause rapid coil gunk build up.
This leads to all sorts of odd off funky burnt tastes, reduced wicking ability leads to burnt tastes.
To me sounds like you're trying to vape a gunked up head.
When you heat a gunked head high enough to burn off the gunk it tastes bad/burnt/funky.
Chain vaping / not allowing enough time to pass between vapes for the wicking material to resaturate & using too much power tends to give burnt tastes.

Are you using the metal drip tip that came with the nauty?

Lwscable

Apr 11, 2015
Best way to fix a flooded nautilus is to remove it off device, wrap it in a paper towel or tissue, and sling it mouth piece down several times hard. The paper towel is to catch the access juice that is slung from the driptip. Works every time for me. Best to prime the coils to the point of flooding before attaching them to your tank rather being under primed and burn your coil up. 50/50 does work best but I have had success with 80/20 VG/pg before. Start low watts and slowly move watts up after 5 or so puffs. I rarely go above 12 watts with my nautilus 1.6 ohm coils.

This is the method I use to clear out tank, works every time!
Primed my coil and just tried it and tasted burnt, so I've primed it some more, going to try again in a minute

Lwscable

Apr 11, 2015
Not much info to go on to give an answer.

Dark or colored and especially sweet liquids tend to clog wicking material reducing wicking ability and cause rapid coil gunk build up.
This leads to all sorts of odd off funky burnt tastes, reduced wicking ability leads to burnt tastes.
To me sounds like you're trying to vape a gunked up head.
When you heat a gunked head high enough to burn off the gunk it tastes bad/burnt/funky.
Chain vaping / not allowing enough time to pass between vapes for the wicking material to resaturate & using too much power tends to give burnt tastes.

Are you using the metal drip tip that came with the nauty?

It's a sweet and coloured e-liquid so this is likely the case, know how to ungunk the wick?
And I'm using a different drip tip that my friend gave me after my nauty drip tip became loose, it's just plain so no problems there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread