The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

nbutane extractions

Discussion in 'Liquid Extraction From Tobacco' started by Equality 7-2521, Jun 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Equality 7-2521

Equality 7-2521 Moved On ECF Veteran

Jan 29, 2013
    oakland ca.
    has anyone tried using nbutane extractions on tobacco yet?

2. Str8vision

Str8vision Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Dec 26, 2013
    Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
    Not that I'm aware of and I've been monitoring this forum for quite some time.

3. Equality 7-2521

Jan 29, 2013
    oakland ca.
    any reason you can think of that nobody has tried it? is butane a particularly nasty chemical or leave hazardous traces in the extraction?

4. Izan

Izan Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jul 1, 2012
    Mallorca, Spain
    Are you trying to extract flavour or nicotine? Have you worked with butane before? It is MUCH MUCH MUCH more volatile then ethanol.
    Please be safe.
    Izan

5. WattWick

WattWick Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Feb 16, 2013
    Cold Norway
    I believe it is mainly a question of where the desired extractee is located in/on ones extraction material. In tobacco, the desireables are the leaves themselves and (mostly?) anything in them. In other materials, the desireables may or may not be found in soluble form on the outside of the material.

In other words - what is considered waste product - the plant itself - from the latter process is what you ask how to "butane" anything out of.

6. Str8vision

Str8vision Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Dec 26, 2013
    Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
    My best guess would be because there are many less volatile solvents available that are fit/safe for human consumption and don't require specialized apparatus (pressure vessel) for the extraction process. Most members on this forum are hobbyist and lack the expertise required for using more exotic solvents/equipment/processes. Butane is a gas when not under pressure so the extraction process would require using a pressure vessel of sorts. I'm unsure if Butane would deposit (leave behind), any harmful/toxic residue but being a petroleum product (like Hexane), I'm relatively certain it's mildly toxic to humans. There are several extraction solvents I haven't used because they need to be completely removed/neutralized after the extraction process is complete. Denatured ethanol, isopropyl alcohol and Hexane are some examples.

7. Equality 7-2521

Jan 29, 2013
    oakland ca.
    Apparently mixing the butane extract with PGA will get rid of impurities,and then you evaporate the PGA out and tranfer it to PG.

8. Equality 7-2521

Jan 29, 2013
    oakland ca.
    although using the heat to evaporate the pga may defeat the whole purpose.

• Like Like x 1
  9. barjc

barjc Full Member

Jun 7, 2015
    I have seen with cannabis herb, with tobacco which will be the results, terpenes or alcohols?

Recalling that swipe in tobacco resin must be certain death!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.