What have you extracted lately?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulBHC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
Arizona
started a new extract... a spiced rum, lite rum, golden cavendish with burley and virginia flake... doing it in PGA @ 140F for ehhh 24 - 36 hrs. Smells wonderful so far...

I assume the tobacco has the rum already on it. Wonder how it would be if you used rum instead of PGA in an unflavored tobacco?

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
I assume the tobacco has the rum already on it. Wonder how it would be if you used rum instead of PGA in an unflavored tobacco?

I thought about that, but the amount of water in the rum would be difficult to remove ( hi temps) and I feel that it would result in a darker possibly hi leaf debris content. I find the 100 PGA extracts make for a cleaner extract in the end. VG, water, possibly PG seems to make the extracts dark and a potential coil gunker. If I could find a way to get the flavor of Meyers rum into a concentrate form.... that would open up some really kewl venues... :)

MikeNice81

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2014
NC
I'm pretty sure MFToms59 extracts with 100% water, might be worth finding out how he reduces it.

ETA - not sure if the solvent type has anything to do with gunk levels, I think its more dependent on the tobacco in the jar, just IMO at this stage.

He did some that were 100% distilled water extracts. I think they were also set in the window sill for a sun tea effect. I think he ran into an issue with mold or something on one of them. Now he is using vodka and pg, I think.

His vodka and PG version of Opulence 3 is insanely good. That and Johni's Lousiana Red could provide a life time of vaping enjoyment.

I'm currently working on 100% PG soaks of Hearth & Home's Sweet & Savory and Room 101 San Andres that started life with six hours of warm bath. Now they are going to soak for a month. My Milan Celebration got a 2.5 hour bath to start and will soak a month.

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
I'm pretty sure MFToms59 extracts with 100% water, might be worth finding out how he reduces it.

ETA - not sure if the solvent type has anything to do with gunk levels, I think its more dependent on the tobacco in the jar, just IMO at this stage.

solvents make a huge difference in gunkability, I have used the same pipe tobacco in both PGA only extracts and VG only extracts. The VG only extracts can trash a coil in an hour as to where the PGA method allows me at least 2 days before gunking becomes an issue....

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
solvents make a huge difference in gunkability, I have used the same pipe tobacco in both PGA only extracts and VG only extracts. The VG only extracts can trash a coil in an hour as to where the PGA method allows me at least 2 days before gunking becomes an issue....

I agree. PGA certainly doesn't seem to extract/leech as much sugar from the tobacco and casing.

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
sugars dissolving in PGA is almost nil... altho VG can dissolve sugar as quickly as water. I did a test several weeks ago on solubility of sugar in PGA and VG. I was amazed on how little sugar went into solution with the PGA.... Still looking for someone to do the same test with PG to see how much sugar will dissolve into it...

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
What procedure did you use for the PGA and VG saturation tests? Heat, shake and let sit/cool to see what volume of sugar stays dissolved and absorbed?

took 30ml of each and added a teaspoon of sugar to each and stirred at room temp for about 2 minutes. I estimated the volume of sugar left in the PGA to be near 80% of original volume, the VG had maybe 5%- 10% undissolved sugar left in it.

Im wondering if PG does dissolve sugar like VG or it is more like PGA.

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
Placed 2.5 ml (1/2 tsp), of common table sugar in a graduated glass measuring cylinder then added 15ml of 100% PG, inserted rubber stopper and shook vigorously for two minutes then allowed the mixture to sit. Within 60 seconds 85% (2.1ml), of the sugar had resettled on the bottom of the glass container. Shook for another two minutes, same results. Shook yet again, no change. This certainly didn't turn out the way I expected it to. Very little sugar dissolved into the PG. Whatever PG is extracting from tobacco that causes it to be "gunky-er" than PGA macerations, it doesn't appear to be sucrose based.

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
Plants contain many different types of sugars, ie Sucrose, Glucose, Dextrose, and Fructose.

High Fructose Corn Syrup for example, will most likely blend in quite well with PGA or PG.

Some of the "other things" that are being extracted may also cause premature coil/wick degradation.

now ya got me wondering just what kind of "sugar" is being used in the casing process....

Ian444

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2013
QLD, Australia
DSCF0207_zps7a13dbb1.jpg

From left to right, HH Old Dark Fired, Lane 1-Q, St. James Flake and Rocky Patel Vintage 1990. Pic taken to give an idea of color. All mixed at 1:7 (12.5%) except Rocky Patel at 1:5 (17%). These four bottles are topping up my supplies, previously I did 6ml bottles to test with, let steep a month or two, and when those bottles get low I make new 24ml mixes of the ones I really like. Going to have to wait a month or two for these ones to steep.

The St. James Flake reminds me of apricot jam, so I searched the tobaccoreviews.com website to see if anyone else sensed apricot...nope, we got fig, raisin, plum, caramel, coffee, nuts, oak wood, honey and date but no apricot. Oh well, I do have a cold, we're coming out of winter here. It is tasting great now that its steeped 2 months, very tasty morsel, love it.

I made the intial mix of Rocky Patel at 1:4 and it is too strong now, so I wound it down to 1:5 for this 24ml bottle. It tastes very strong and exudes the best qualities of a cigar as far as I would know, never having been a cigar smoker in my day. Highly recommended, Billherbst said it was a good one and it sure doesn't disappoint! Thanks Bill! My wife loves it too, and she is also quite happy with (and has vaped quite a bit of) C & D Billy Budd. I think she has a taste for cigar...

Now, where am I, that's right, I was going to share a list of my favorite extracts so far, just in case someone new to extracting was looking for suggestions. OK, these are my staples, my everyday flavors, I only vape a couple of them on any particular day, but I don't care which of them I vape because I like them all. I use a Reo filled with unflavored juice, and carry the NET juices in two 3ml dripper bottles when at work, and just top drip a bit when I get the urge. I put in 3 drops and the flavor will be good for the next 10 squonks at least. Anyway enough of that, here's my favorites list.

Samuel Gawith Brown Rope No. 4 Rum
Samuel Gawith Navy Flake
Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake
McClelland Old Dog
Samuel Gawith Balkan Flake
Samuel Gawith St James Flake

And some that look they will soon join the above on a daily basis:
C & D Billy Budd
Rocky Patel Vintage 1990
Lane 1-Q
MacBaren HH Old Dark Fired

SPC Nightcap and Plum Pudding are looking really good too but I'm just waiting for some more steeping time.
Lane 1-Q is unusual in that it seems to be a very simple flavor, virginia with a bit of vanilla added, but it is done so well (a really enjoyable vape) that it gets a special mention.

olderthandirt

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
Willamette Valley, PNW
As an ex pipe smoker this has been a truly dangerous thread.
Enlightening but damned dangerous.

Sweet Lady Nicotiana, the thoughts of a bowl of St. James Flake....... oh my.

Ian, good lord man, Brown Rope #4?
A man killer of a smoke if there ever was, how's your extract taste? Same motor oil and diesel fumes ()-:

boomerdude

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Coming up in the next few weeks I have :

White Cube Burley
Carolina Flake Cut
McClelland Dominican Glory Maduro
Sutcliff Burma Road
Cornell & Diehl Pennington Gap
Cornell & Diehl Billy Budd
Hearth & Home Signature Freight Train
Samuel Gawith Fire Dance Flake
Sutcliff Caribbean Nights
Sutcliff Blacksburg
Sutcliff Baklava
Planta Anno MMVIII
Planta Anno MMX
Planta Anno MMVI
Cuesta-Ray Centenario Maduro
Arganese ML3

All are heat-assisted maceration's stewed for 4-6 weeks.

Ian444

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2013
QLD, Australia
Ian, good lord man, Brown Rope #4?
A man killer of a smoke if there ever was, how's your extract taste? Same motor oil and diesel fumes ()-:

ROFL...its actually a flavorful satisfying vape, same for the Navy Flake and Old Dog, they make very good extractions.

Hey, you (and others) might be able to help me here, I've been thinking of getting a few of the foulest, vilest, strongest blends known to man to extract. The stronger ones extract with plenty of character, so I want to take it a step further. Any suggestions welcome :)

johni

Extractor
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2012
Columbia, Missouri
I extracted Gawith and Hoggarth Black Irish X partly because the description included "not for the timid". It contains a lot of dark fired Kentucky and some dark air cured Indian tobaccos and is twisted into a rope for chewing or smoking. Very interesting, intense, smokey flavor. I find pipe blends that are rated as full flavored or strong translate better into a vape generally.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread