Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian444

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2013
QLD, Australia
I think its time we had a thread to share our experiences with specific tobacco blends, when used in the extraction process for making e-liquid.

Rather than discussing methods of extraction, I am hoping this thread will be more about which tobacco blends you have extracted, a brief description of the extraction method, and a brief description of the result.

I'm hoping we can collectively find great tobacco blends that extract well for our vaping purposes, and also help first-time extracters to choose suitable tobacco blends.

Ian444

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2013
QLD, Australia
Ok here's a start :)

Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake - nice, sweet, my favourite at the moment 9/10
Samuel Gawith Navy Flake - earthy deep flavour, dark 8.5/10
White Ox RYO - strong, earthy, good flavor 9/10 (similarities to Netcom fire-cured burley)
Samuel Gawith Grousemoor - different flavour 9/10
House RYO Virginia (origin unknown) - solid cigarette tobacco, some caramel 8.5/10 very nice ciggy
Bali Nature American Blend - not much flavour at this stage, not very impressive 6/10
McClelland Classic Virginia 2010 - smooth, floral, ordinary at this stage 7/10

All done with a 2 day heat assisted maceration, 100% PG, 45 to 55 degrees C. Reviewed after 4 to 5 weeks steeping.

Ian444

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2013
QLD, Australia
Hmmm, 4 to 5 weeks to review is way too soon. Everything gets better with time. I revisited McClellands Vanilla Black Cavendish tonight, which has been steeping for 9 weeks now. I had near given up on it as the vanilla didn't taste convincing before, but now its beautiful. The Bali Nature American Blend and McClelland Classic Virginia 2010 have also become more interesting with just another 2 weeks steeping. Lesson learnt :)

ronchinoy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 13, 2014
Bangalore / India
Prize Fighter Cigar.
Added 15 ML of PG.
The leafs just got wet.
So added some Vodka and IPA. And some water.

Microwave under pressure dont let the temps cross 70c.
Put in a pan of boiling water till all the alcohol and water evaporates.
Repeat this process every other day for 1 week.
Then add VG and let repeat every other day for another week.
Finally warm up and take it thru the filter process.

This is to have a change form my earlier Net. which is rather too sweat of me. It was done with leafs. From Andhra. Pics of the leafs posted.

Ian444

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2013
QLD, Australia
My favorite so far is Dunhill flake. 5 flakes to 15ml pg in the rice cooker for 12 hrs. Triple filtered through syringe/cotton. Still gunky but the flavor is top class. For anyone who has extracted Mcclellands, does the ketchupy scent/flavor carry through to the vape?

Thanks for the heads up on Dunhill Flake, it has good reviews on tobaccoreviews.com, and with no "added flavorings" should extract well too. I have extracted 4 McClellands blends, Vanilla Black Cavendish, Classic Virginia 2010, Old Dog and Dark Star, no sign of the ketchup scent so far. The first 2 are taking their time to steep, Old Dog is fine, the Dark Star seems to have a mind of its own, no idea where its heading or when.

My favorite so far is Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake, it is very smooth, tasty, hint of fruit like plum or similar. Its not in your face tobacco, just a tasty vape. For in your face nice strong tobacco with strong English pipe tobacco flavors McClelland Old Dog will not disappoint, IMO.

ronchinoy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 13, 2014
Bangalore / India
I did a 100 Grams of dark full leaf. And am getting a sweetish taste. Its not bad. But Im wondering if it came from adding the vodka or the IPA. Need to find some pure ethanol to try.

How you you guys dampen the leaf i.e. 15 ML off PG will typically just get soaked into what ever tobacco you mix it. Say even 1 cigar.

I found the best way to deal with the gunking of the coils. Is to cut the NET with some Tobacco Flavors. i.e. take what ever you have made and try mixing it with M-Type or American Red or RY Dbl. Do a 50-50 mix.
No matter what the tobacco used Im sure you will hit a very rare combination of flavors. Which you love and will keep your coils going a little longer.

Ian444

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2013
QLD, Australia
I did a 100 Grams of dark full leaf. And am getting a sweetish taste. Its not bad. But Im wondering if it came from adding the vodka or the IPA. Need to find some pure ethanol to try.

How you you guys dampen the leaf i.e. 15 ML off PG will typically just get soaked into what ever tobacco you mix it. Say even 1 cigar.

Some of the tobaccos I have extracted have a natural sweetness, or maybe its partly in the VG. I'm not so sure about using IPA, some think its OK, some don't, I think PGA could be a lot safer then IPA.

Usually to soak the tobacco I will use enough solvent to cover it, then add a bit more, as the leaf or blend will soak some up. Some people add a bit more again so they can see the color of the mix above the level of the tobacco.

Ding

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
Molon Labe
welp I've done some dark and light fire cured leaf,some canadian flue cured,brightleaf flue cured and some aged burley.I am trying to find a happy combo.I did the fire cured and came close to a black fire taste.Still working on mixing it with something to balance it out to more like an adirondike flavor but I do like the fire cured.........Thinkin of an oak barrel cure...........

Ian444

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2013
QLD, Australia
Fire-cured leaf and aged burley sounds interesting. I am too much of a novice to mix different tobaccos, I wouldn't know what I was doing, so I've stuck to extracting blends so far. Recently I did a White Ox maceration that tastes a lot like Net.com's fire-cured burley, but it has a fair bit more going on it. I've been looking for some fire-cured burley blends to try ever since, I must be looking in the wrong places and haven't found anything yet, open to suggestions...

Tonight I sampled some Samuel Gawith St. James Flake which was mixed at 10% only 5 days ago, but is showing a lot of promise, I think I'm going to love it. The extraction was 3.3gm of tobacco mixed with 10ml PG, heated in the microwave, let cool, add 5ml PGA, sit 24 hours, filter, evaporate the PGA with low heat, got 4.8ml extract. I couldn't squeeze the tobacco to get all the juice out, the bottle was too narrow and the tobacco wouldn't come out :facepalm: this is my first Va/Per, is it something about the first time is often the best, or most memorable? :) I wonder what it will be like in 2 months, looking forward to it.

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
Still steeping a 3 Cherry Pipe tobacco.. room temp been almost 3 weeks...
the description said it was a blend of Rainier Cherry, Black Cherry, and Marischino (sp?) cherry.
At the moment, the marischino is the predominate arouma ( other than the PGA ;) ).
PGA has taken on a medium to dark Iced tea color...
gonna let this one go for a few more days and see if its better than the heated method of extracting.

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
Bunny, is that the McClelland M27 Three Cherries?

I received 3 new bacco's today Peter Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake, Dunhill Nightcap, SPC Plum Pudding.

I believe it was, my friend Retic chose it so I didnt get a chance to actually read the label, all I got to see was the bag with "Mc 3 chry" written on it.

Ding

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
Molon Labe
Howdy Ian.I put the barley and canadian flue together.The barley is the more potent IMO so I started with a little amount and then added the CFC to it a bit at a time.Kinda came out with a slightly nutty sweetness to the mix,the sweetness I believe was coming from the CFC.Been doin the 3 ML test it's...Adding different flavor(s) to mix up and adding a touch of sweetness but I found I'm not into the sweeter versions.Accidentaly made an ry2 or 3 with one of the tests.Put in caramel instead of cohiba.LOL.Learned to put on glasses to read labels.Been gunnin for a couple of my favs,mountain oaks gambler/rambler which I believe is synthetic but workin on a real NET and quic nics fire in the hole/adirondike black without most of the sweetness in the adirondike.The longer it sits the more the flavors meld.Really love the gambler and fire in the hole,an ADV to me.

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
still steeping (room temp) the 3 Cherry pipe, I did pick up 2 more oz of 3 Cherry and an oz of a Honey/Maple pipe ( local mix/house blend).
going to do it with PGA on both new blends in the Crockpot.... by the time the warm method has completed the room temp 3 cherrys should be ready to reduce, giving me a side by side comparison between the 2 batches of 3 Cherry.... Im hoping the 4 week room temp has better qualities ( making it worth the wait)....

now to figure out how to "clean" up all of the VG extracts I have to make them vape without gunking out the wick/coil...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread