Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian444

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2013
QLD, Australia
John I like the sound of the Black Irish X, I have seen it mentioned a few times and have it on order, also Gawith Hogarth Brown Bogie and Dark Birdseye are on the way. I love this review on tobaccoreviews.com of Brown Bogie, I had to wipe the tears from my eyes :)

Ooops, looks like reviews are copyright, so I removed the quote. If you go to http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/2020/gawith-hoggarth-co-happy-brown-bogie-unsliced
and search the word "Albert" you will find his review.

Last edited:

Ian444

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2013
QLD, Australia
Coming up in the next few weeks I have :

White Cube Burley
Carolina Flake Cut
McClelland Dominican Glory Maduro
Sutcliff Burma Road
Cornell & Diehl Pennington Gap
Cornell & Diehl Billy Budd
Hearth & Home Signature Freight Train
Samuel Gawith Fire Dance Flake
Sutcliff Caribbean Nights
Sutcliff Blacksburg
Sutcliff Baklava
Planta Anno MMVIII
Planta Anno MMX
Planta Anno MMVI
Cuesta-Ray Centenario Maduro
Arganese ML3

All are heat-assisted maceration's stewed for 4-6 weeks.

There are some interesting blends (and blending tobacco) in that list, thanks for posting, that will keep me busy researching for a while... I sure would be interested to hear how the Pennington Gap and Dominican Glory Maduro turns out.

Are you running your heat-assisted extracts at around 120 F for 4 to 6 weeks? That's interesting. Are you using coffee mug warmers or a big pot on a hotplate? I saw that you posted this info in another thread recently but I thought it was a typo, but obviously not.

johni

Extractor
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2012
Columbia, Missouri
John I like the sound of the Black Irish X, I have seen it mentioned a few times and have it on order, also Gawith Hogarth Brown Bogie and Dark Birdseye are on the way. I love this review on tobaccoreviews.com of Brown Bogie, I had to wipe the tears from my eyes :)

Ooops, looks like reviews are copyright, so I removed the quote. If you go to Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. - Happy (Brown) Bogie Unsliced - Tobacco Reviews
and search the word "Albert" you will find his review.
ROFL! Good one! I think when you're looking for something very full flavored, that kind of review is a good clue. If the blend is as intense as we would like it to be, some bad reviews will be there.

olderthandirt

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
Willamette Valley, PNW
Ian, johni mentioned the SG Irish X, that along with the Brown Bogie and aforementioned Brown rope #4 are the "liveliest" tobaccos I personally smoked.

Most any rope is going to be similar as far as I knew.

FWIW, G,H & Co. Dark Birdseye and Kendals Kentucky, while strong in their own right, suffice it to say I rolled those two for cigs more then I smoked em' in briar.

I've yet to do any extractions, I'm still reading to get a feel for an approach I want to try.
I sold off my entire cellar sometime back, still have about 2lb of GH & Co. Best Brown #2 and p'raps a lb each of Lanes Half&Half and BCA remaining.

I'd intended on using VG for solvent as that's all I have at the moment. The more I read the more it sounds like I'll need to pick up some PG to use instead.

Again, most any rope/twist will serve for "flavorful" or, burning tires, diesel fume and used motor oil blends.

johni

Extractor
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2012
Columbia, Missouri
olderthandirt, (love that, we must be in the same age group). VG extractions have not gone well for most who have tried. It's just too thick to filter well. If you can tolerate some PG but want to keep it to a minimum in your finished juice, try 75% PG, 25% VG to extract with. It will still filter albeit more slowly. If you get nicotine in 100% VG, you could make juice that is around 15 PG, 85 VG.

I extract with 100% PG and get nic in 100% PG. From that I mix juice 40 PG, 60 VG, which works well for me. This ratio allows me to syringe only PG liquids and dispense VG directly from a bottle with a fold down cap.

It's good to have input from someone who smoked a pipe and liked full flavored blends. Many of us that extract and vape pipe blends had little or no experience with pipe tobacco prior to vaping.

Last edited:

boomerdude

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Great minds think alike. I got a jones on for those two blends. Pennington is for my adventure in cloning GeJ's Patriot and the Dominican because Maduro.

I use an hotplate i got before I knew better than to go over 150F. I just start off at 140F and go down to 120F for the weekly stir.

There are some interesting blends (and blending tobacco) in that list, thanks for posting, that will keep me busy researching for a while... I sure would be interested to hear how the Pennington Gap and Dominican Glory Maduro turns out.

Are you running your heat-assisted extracts at around 120 F for 4 to 6 weeks? That's interesting. Are you using coffee mug warmers or a big pot on a hotplate? I saw that you posted this info in another thread recently but I thought it was a typo, but obviously not.

papabogart

ECF Veteran
Sep 15, 2013
Satis, Faction
Great minds think alike. I got a jones on for those two blends. Pennington is for my adventure in cloning GeJ's Patriot and the Dominican because Maduro.

I use an hotplate i got before I knew better than to go over 150F. I just start off at 140F and go down to 120F for the weekly stir.

I lost track of that Patriot chase of yours. Have any of your prior attempts come close? I get a peppery taste with Patriot so I was thinking of getting some of Blending - Hybrid Cube Cut - PipesandCigars.com in my next order (if I ever get going on the ones I've got stewing). Any chance you've tried that?

boomerdude

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I haven't tried that yet.The Cube Cut is still waiting to get extracted again after my first batch spilled.. My Patriot attempts to date have been with blending single varietal extracts and nothing came close really. One I had hopes for but it just didn't cut it, even with a long steep. The Pennington is one of the few Burley, Cavendish and Perique blends that would match GeJ's description of Patriot so I thought I would give it a try. The funny thing about Patriot is that there is a taste there, at least to my palate, that reminded me of the synthetic flavor called Reggae Nights. Might be a pipe dream on my part but you never know.

Another factor that has thrown a monkey wrench into my attempts, in a good way, is that I have been getting new flavor profiles using this Magma rig. Almost every juice I have tried in it tastes different. At least to the extant that I'm tasting things I didn't notice before.

This hobby changes so rapidly that I never know from one week to the next what new toy is going to be another game changer. It's getting harder to keep up. I promised myself to cut down on extracts but now I have eleven going up from the usual eight. My fingers are numb from making coils and I have no storage space left. What's a poor boy to do?

Still, it's nice to be able to have these problems so I ain't really complaining.

( sigh )

I lost track of that Patriot chase of yours. Have any of your prior attempts come close? I get a peppery taste with Patriot so I was thinking of getting some of Blending - Hybrid Cube Cut - PipesandCigars.com in my next order (if I ever get going on the ones I've got stewing). Any chance you've tried that?

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
I haven't tried that yet.The Cube Cut is still waiting to get extracted again after my first batch spilled.. My Patriot attempts to date have been with blending single varietal extracts and nothing came close really. One I had hopes for but it just didn't cut it, even with a long steep. The Pennington is one of the few Burley, Cavendish and Perique blends that would match GeJ's description of Patriot so I thought I would give it a try. The funny thing about Patriot is that there is a taste there, at least to my palate, that reminded me of the synthetic flavor called Reggae Nights. Might be a pipe dream on my part but you never know.

Another factor that has thrown a monkey wrench into my attempts, in a good way, is that I have been getting new flavor profiles using this Magma rig. Almost every juice I have tried in it tastes different. At least to the extant that I'm tasting things I didn't notice before.

This hobby changes so rapidly that I never know from one week to the next what new toy is going to be another game changer. It's getting harder to keep up. I promised myself to cut down on extracts but now I have eleven going up from the usual eight. My fingers are numb from making coils and I have no storage space left. What's a poor boy to do?

Still, it's nice to be able to have these problems so I ain't really complaining.

( sigh )

Well, there used to be a synthetic ingredient to Patriot and that liquid didn't taste a whole lot different from how it is now, so I reckon that note you describe -- possibly Reggae Nights -- may have in fact been in there from jumpstreet. Either which way, if anyone can crack the code, you can.

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
Except for MM throwing a monkey wrench into my intuition: :)

My money is still riding on that hybrid cube cut. When I came across the cube cut on P&P, the old tobaccos description for Patriot immediately came to mind. At least I think it said " a burley and virgnia blend" combined with cav and perique

Well, it's not in there now, but it could possibly help to approximate the taste since there used to be a synthetic note. When you all get something close, or even not so close, shoot me a sample and I would love to be able to help you all do some DETECTive work.

boomerdude

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Senor Mann, my Patriot saga is becoming an obsession. Many a 3 ml bottle has made the ultimate sacrifice on the road to Patriot City. The siege will go on until the walls crumble or I do. The latter being the more probable outcome.

Well, there used to be a synthetic ingredient to Patriot and that liquid didn't taste a whole lot different from how it is now, so I reckon that note you describe -- possibly Reggae Nights -- may have in fact been in there from jumpstreet. Either which way, if anyone can crack the code, you can.

usr/

ECF Veteran
Nov 17, 2013
N. Alabama
Round 1 (Complete: Filtered to 2.5 micron)

Drew Estate - 7th Ave. Blonde – My first extract, Cold Soak 5 weeks Good vape not my favorite but still good
Stanwell - Kir and Apple – Very Nice flavor Excellent room note on this one, good vape
Sutliff Private Stock - Maple Street – Very nice Flavor I mix this with 10 to Midnight, good vape
Hearth and Home - 10 to Midnight – Tastes like MOV Apache Love this stuff
Capt. Black – Dark – Very good another ADV

Round 2 (Complete: Filtered to 2.5 micron)

Orlik – Golden Slice – Haven't sampled yet - steeping
Orlik – Golden Mixture - Haven't sampled yet - steeping
Erin Go Braugh – Irish Wiskey – Love this one. An ADV good morning smok w/coffee, a favorite
Titiana Flavored Cigar – Rum - Another ADV Very tasty good morning smok w/coffee, a favorite
Robert McConnell – Pure Perique – Not sure what's going to happen with this one. Tried it and didn't like it, decanting and steeping (ammonia present in this one)

Round 3 (Complete: Filtered to 2.5 micron)

Cornell and Diehl – Habana Daydream #420 – One of my absolute favorites ADV Morning smok w/coffee
Cornell and Diehl – Briar Fox - Haven't sampled yet - steeping
Capt. Black – Black Sea - Haven't sampled yet - steeping
Hearth and Home – El Nino - Haven't sampled yet - steeping
The Smoker – Red Virginia Supreme - Haven't sampled yet -steeping
Titiana Flavored Cigar – Congnac - Haven't sampled yet - steeping
Titiana Flavored Cigar – Fuzion Frenzy - Haven't sampled yet - steeping
Titiana Flavored Cigar – Night Cap - Haven't sampled yet - steeping

Round 4 (Start Date: Mid November)

McClelland – Blending Perique
McClelland – Blending Latakia
McClelland – Blending Oriental
McClelland – Blending Virginia
P&C Blending - Green River Black Cavendish (Subject to change)
P&C Blending - AAA Burley (Subject to change)

Been using a combination of heat and cold methods (3 to 4 wks) on these and they have turned out pretty good, to me anyway, I'm still learning and making adjustments.
Couple of cigar extracts that I've tested have been very good and getting much better wick and coil life out of them, Will be working on more of those also.
Wish I was able to characterize these extracts better but I can't. Thanks for all the help from the forum!

johni

Extractor
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2012
Columbia, Missouri
Man, I gotta tell ya this is a fascinating hobby. It fills the void of my homebrew days, which I don't do anymore and you probably know why! haha
I home brewed also! Clean and sober 14 years now and almost two years off cigarettes. Vaping is about my only vice left.

Home extraction is definitely an enjoyable hobby. I read and learned a lot about tobaccos before I started and still read a lot. The number of tobaccos that I want to extract keeps growing but since my stash is vast, I'm becoming very discerning in my choices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread