Need a come back for 'mold spores on lungs'

Status
Not open for further replies.

pascloud

ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2013
West New York, NJ
She says "They are finding that people that "smoke" these are getting mold spores on their lungs... This comes from a few respiratory therapists I know. If you must smoke, stick to regular ciggs, we know what those do to lungs... These vaporizers are too new to see the long term effects yet..."
and
Btw: the way they are seeing the mold spores are on cadavers of people that have used these and died due to various reasons. Can't use their lungs for donation.

*sigh* From what I've read, there's something about not stored cartos or juices properly, then inhaling mold? I'm a bit taken back by her advice to stick to regular cigs! That's just crazy!

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
Oh this is from me posting about the proposed NYC ban on e-cigs on Facebook. I really didn't expect someone to come and comment an e-cig danger and why it's a good thing to ban. At least with vaping we have a list of ingredients. Unlike cigarettes.

Huh?

Honestly, I’ve never even heard of the “mold spore” thing before. You’d think if there was any evidence of this the ANTZ would have it all over the place. Tell them to show you the evidence or stop jumping to conclusions. There are people on the forum that have had their lungs x-rayed after they took up vaping and there is vast improvement in their lung function. Tangible medical proof.

ETA: Okay, I just figured out what you were saying. They are saying this on FB to you. I agree with In The Shade, ask them to post proof and stop BSing. If all they can come up with is lies, they don't have much of a leg to stand on.

Last edited:

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
Both PG and VG are anti-fungal. Mold (or 'mould' depending on where you live) is a fungus.

They're also both anti-bacterial and antiseptic. Glycerin soaps are actually used to treat fungal infections on the skin.... So, whomever you are conversing with is uninformed and has no valid information on the topic.

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
Most e-juice has a shelf life of 1 year. If at that point it comes down to vaping it... eh.... If ya have to. I don't know if it will grow mold like stuff left in the fridge, but it's kinda like sniffing milk. If after a year you sniff it and it doesn't smell vapeable, don't vape it.

It is widely accepted that most e-juice is good for 2 years and that it isn't the VG or PG that degrades. It is the nicotine and some flavorings that break down over time.

happydave

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2013
United States
Both PG and VG are anti-fungal. Mold (or 'mould' depending on where you live) is a fungus.

They're also both anti-bacterial and antiseptic. Glycerin soaps are actually used to treat fungal infections on the skin.... So, whomever you are conversing with is uninformed and has no valid information on the topic.

EXACTLY! and PG and VG are hygroscopic, meaning it absorbs water. so your lungs throat and mouth get dried out a bit. one of the reasons why it highly suggested to drink lots of water when vaping. my gut feeling is that e-cigs are going to cause MUCH less harm in the long run than analogs.

Last edited:

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
I agree, but I sniffed a few bottles I've had in the stash for 12 months and they smelled pretty darn funky.

The DIY threads have some great information on long-term storage of juice. -- I've had the same experience as you with a few juices. Some of my favorite flavors (vendor uses alcohol based flavorings - and I blame the flavorings) would start to get an odd smell to them after 6-10 months and I found them unusable in a year... but had I stored them in a cooler and darker place, they might have held up better.

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
You couldn't grow mold in most ejuice if you TRIED.
It's antibacterial. The primary ingredients are used in respirators. They pump PG into the air in hospitals.
They are babbling BS and you should tell them so.

She says "They are finding that people that "smoke" these are getting mold spores on their lungs... This comes from a few respiratory therapists I know. If you must smoke, stick to regular ciggs, we know what those do to lungs... These vaporizers are too new to see the long term effects yet..."
and
Btw: the way they are seeing the mold spores are on cadavers of people that have used these and died due to various reasons. Can't use their lungs for donation.

*sigh* From what I've read, there's something about not stored cartos or juices properly, then inhaling mold? I'm a bit taken back by her advice to stick to regular cigs! That's just crazy!

Plumes.91

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
United States
Make sure that you let her know that state hospitals pump propylene glycol into the air system to CLEAN IT OF CONTAMINANTS AND MOLD. It doesn't get much more simple than that.It is an antiviral antifungus agent.

Also, let her know that she eats globs of Propylene Glycol every time she has Cake Frosting, Ice Cream, McDonnalds/Burgerking/Tacobell sauces, Ketchup, BBQ sauce, basically any sauce, every Beer, Folger's Coffee, ANY candy, ANY fast food meat product, Biscuits and Doughs and Crusts in a can, ALL coffee flavoring creamers have a PG as 1 of their main ingredients, Soda, Any quick release gel capsules, Your Tylenol, Advil, Alieve, Asprin Quick Release, anything Containing Gelatin, basically anything that is wet at some point between the time it is made to the time it hits your lips, has had PG added to it.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
She says 'from what she understands' it's from heated moisture. Which is like showers and steam rooms. And hot hazy days. :/ UGH - now I'm all paranoid.

Ya, well, she doesn't understand much :facepalm:. Heated moisture ...
JC_OMG_sign.gif

Suggest to her that if this is true, she should only take cold showers, never ever ever go near a steam room never mind take a step into one, stay indoors on rainy days in the summer and she might be safe from the dreaded heated moisture
JC-ROFL.gif

Last edited:

Plumes.91

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
United States
A relative of mine has trace amounts of Aspergillosis stuck in her lungs that can only be found when she has special tests for it done. She got it from living in Colorado for 6 years. There is a mold that mainly grows on moist wood in predominantly dry and arid environments. The mold evolved in these dry harsh arid environments to stay dormant (dead-like state) until it finds an ideal, moist location. My relative must have lived in a home where it was growing in the basement. Fortunately for her, the mold is dormant in her lungs. It is not spreading, probably because it senses that as it multiplies into new areas of her lungs, it dies off. (because humans have an immune system in place)

Mold is a microscopic organism, similar to bacteria, that creates visible colonies. Do I think e-liquid could host a potentially harmful mold? Its doubtful. I'd think the nicotine, being a toxic compound in itself, would stop mold from growing. Then you have the Glycerine, which kills microscopic organisms as they hit it's surface... (Glycerine is what we rub all over our bodies to kill microscopic organisms) Then you've also got Propylene Glycol, which... Kills microscopic organisms as they hit it as well. PG is pumped into the air in hospitals, scientific laboratories, & industrial warehouses, to cleanse the air of contaminants and... Mold. So I'd be willing to bet that it'd be hard to grow a mold specimen in a bottle of concentrated PG... & paired up with our immuno system, I'm guessing the PG would also prevent mold and bacteria from thriving in our lungs and throats.

Propylene Glycol is also used in prescription asthma medications. Propylene Glycol is actually what your kid inhales when he has an asthma attack and he needs to use the defibrillator machine. That mist that comes out of the mouth piece is the same mist we all inhale. The medicine is mixed into their propylene glycol just like our nicotine is mixed into ours. So I find the whole mold growing in your lungs from vaping thing to be kind of ridiculous. By that logic, you'd think we'd have mold growing in our lungs because we're all inhaling the mold that is growing in our basements, in the grass around our houses, etc... But mold doesn't grow in our lungs.. because our lungs have evolved to resist hosting mold from our environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread