Need advice picking an rta

Status
Not open for further replies.

folkphys

ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Chapel Hill, NC
0.5 Ohms in an RTA......seems like dual coil is where you want to be.

By the by: The only way I was able to run 0.5 on a KF is with a very bored out airhole and using xc-116 as wick. Hot as anything and darn near too quick for the KF's limited juice flow.

So unless yer planning on underpowering those 0.5 ohm coils, methinks a dual coil type deal is the sensible choice. My current favorite being the Aqua -- and perhaps soon to be Aqua v2. A dual coil tank with a relatively small evap chamber - which most have - tends to generate hotter than average tootage. Foggers compensate with huge airflows which tends to mute flavor (in my experience). The Aquas (and perhaps others that I've not tried) compensate with big fat juice channels to keep those hot and fast coils ever so well whetted which for me, means more flavor.

Of course the Erlkonigin was a complete showstopper for me. It is Near Perfection despite its forcing me back into the super-Ohm side of things, winding basic and boring mostly single-stranded 1.1-ers and whatnot.

Last edited:

VaPreis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
Why has nobody mentioned the Fogger? Great airflow and easy build platform. I do want to try the Orchid and the Lemo but I've been so happy with my Foggers I haven't pushed the button yet.

Get a Lemo and you'll remember just how good your juice tasted before you got the Fogger.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
The Lemo seems like a no-brainer. Inexpensive and it's authentic with AFC and I don't know a single person that has tried it that had anything but rave reviews. I love mine and find myself using it regularly with a wide variety of builds. I like the new Atlantis and I've been vaping it for a couple weeks but every time I pick one of my lemos up I'm like, "Oh man, now THAT'S what I'm talking about!" Flavor and vapor production simply blow the Atlantis away. No leakage all day long, whether I'm bouncing around the ranch in a truck or a saddle. I like it better than my Big Dripper and it rivals some of my drippers. It's simply fantastic and the price point makes me wonder why you don't have one already; especially in light of all the buzz. Heck, I'm a little amazed that EVERYONE with an interest in RTAs hasn't gotten one (or 3) yet. Lol!

By the looks of it, seems the user would need to fill it with a syringe.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Why has nobody mentioned the Fogger? Great airflow and easy build platform. I do want to try the Orchid and the Lemo but I've been so happy with my Foggers I haven't pushed the button yet.

I have a fogger; never did use it; put it back in it's box last week and put that in my box o backups.
Its another one of those things where you need a needle to fill it.
It's got 2 airholes in the deck and 4 channels, so it's really designed for dual coil.

FictitiousFreedom

ECF Veteran
May 3, 2014
WV
I just for some reason like the idea of the kayfun 4. With the extra airflow and peek insulator I think it would be perfect but it is a big gamble. The orchid dOes seem perfect. I was actually interested in it before I even considered tanks but I've read so many negative reviews on it and I hate clones. I don't want to turn this into a clone debate so I won't lol
I work at a vape shop and ill test the clones but they don't do it for me.

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
Went to the site looks interesting. So you build your coil between the posts and over the air hold? How much USD did it cost and were you nervous at all dealing with someone from that part of the world?
Any leaking issues like I'm hearing about with the RTAs? Looking for something easy to build like a RDA, hits like a cardo and has a reservoir so no dripping all the time. Will this fit the bill? Thanks

Yeah you build the coil between the posts over the air hole. Its about $150 shipped, Only leaks if you over fill, through the air hole. This is for flavor of an RTA but ease of use...
I'e been ordering from them for a couple years, and from Art of Exhale (one of the group who makes these) for a few years. He's big on Vapor Wall.

novamatt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2010
Washington, DC area
If there is a kayfun style that has good airflow and shines at around .6 that would be ideal.

You seriously just described the Lemo. Try one out for forty bucks and if you don't like it, you'll have no problems selling it in the classifieds. I think you'll be very satisfied with it.

BrushyHillGuide

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2014
Sabinal, TX
By the looks of it, seems the user would need to fill it with a syringe.

You certainly could but I'm able to fill mine with most of the standard bottle tips that come with your juice. I also use a irrigation syringe that cost like 50 cents at a pharmacy - it's a plastic tip that's curved and it's handy for all sorts of things! Besides, it holds so much juice that you're only going to fill it, at most, 2x per day. Unless you're just bound and determined to spend a ton of money on an RTA so you can have a conversation piece (a mindset I can TOTALLY relate to), the Lemo is the first place that anyone interested in an RTA should start - it'll almost surely be where they finish, as well.

I challenge you to find single reviewer (here or YouTube) that has something negative to say about it. Everyone calls it a _________ killer because it's taken the best of all the others and fixed all the problems they each had.

You seriously just described the Lemo. Try one out for forty bucks and if you don't like it, you'll have no problems selling it in the classifieds. I think you'll be very satisfied with it.

X2!!

Lemo is ABSOLUTELY a kayfun killer AND a Fogger Killer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scottitude

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2010
Metro Detroit
scottitude.net
Lots of great input on high-end RTAs. Everyone has there opinion and despite the troubles ukeman seems to have had with his Erlkönigen, I swear by them. I have four authentic Erls and rarely use anything else.

In my experience there are two primary reasons why an authentic Erlkönigen can leak; poor wick trimming and placement, and filling them too fast.

Many vapers think more and longer is better when it comes to wicking and in some cases that may be true, but with the Erls, too much wick in the narrow side channels will guarantee non-stop, messy leaks.

Filling them too fast doesn't allow for enough air displacement and can force liquid through the air inlets at the bottom. If one is impatient, it takes two seconds to close the air-flow control, inject the liquid as hard and fast as you like, and then open the AFC to meet your preferred air-flow. You don't have to drip the liquid, just gently squeeze out a steady flow. Understanding the need for appropriate venting during the fill, I've never had to turn, tilt, twist, blow, or jump through any hoops to refill my Erls with no leaks. My Taifun GTs are more prone to leaking than my Erls.

An authentic Erlkönigen is definitely worth the investment and if you don't like it, sell it in the classifieds and recoup your investment.

fictitiousfreedom - check your inbox for a related PM.

Last edited:

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
You certainly could but I'm able to fill mine with most of the standard bottle tips that come with your juice. I also use a irrigation syringe that cost like 50 cents at a pharmacy - it's a plastic tip that's curved and it's handy for all sorts of things! Besides, it holds so much juice that you're only going to fill it, at most, 2x per day. Unless you're just bound and determined to spend a ton of money on an RTA so you can have a conversation piece (a mindset I can TOTALLY relate to), the Lemo is the first place that anyone interested in an RTA should start - it'll almost surely be where they finish, as well.

I challenge you to find single reviewer (here or YouTube) that has something negative to say about it. Everyone calls it a _________ killer because it's taken the best of all the others and fixed all the problems they each had.

X2!!

Lemo is ABSOLUTELY a kayfun killer AND a Fogger Killer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"irrigation syringe"!
aha!
I'll be asking about that at the pharmacy;
used for dental something or the other apparently.
thanks
Irrigation%20syringe%20_600x%20.jpg

i like the size of that one too!

pizza2me

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 1, 2010
Maryland
I just for some reason like the idea of the kayfun 4. With the extra airflow and peek insulator I think it would be perfect but it is a big gamble. The orchid dOes seem perfect. I was actually interested in it before I even considered tanks but I've read so many negative reviews on it and I hate clones. I don't want to turn this into a clone debate so I won't lol
I work at a vape shop and ill test the clones but they don't do it for me.

Yup. That is the exact reason I haven't tried the Orchid. It seems to be another one of those love/hate rbas. Maybe that's changed with the versions. but it seemed like about half said it was the next best thing and the other half said it was crap. So I never tried it.

I might have to look into the Lemo more though. $40 for the original????

FictitiousFreedom

ECF Veteran
May 3, 2014
WV
Thanks for all of the information! I forgot why I love this forum lol I still have a good bit of research to do, there are way more high end tanks than I thought. I'm the kind of person that does a lot of research before buying anything. Which can sometimes be a problem in the vape world because new stuff comes out so often. I really appriciate all of the info and opinions so far and it'll will definitely help me make a decision.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Thanks for all of the information! I forgot why I love this forum lol I still have a good bit of research to do, there are way more high end tanks than I thought. I'm the kind of person that does a lot of research before buying anything. Which can sometimes be a problem in the vape world because new stuff comes out so often. I really appriciate all of the info and opinions so far and it'll will definitely help me make a decision.

I find myself appreciating the flash e-vapor more and more although technically I still haven't used mine yet - so far only used the deck but with my bigd on top.

The deck is very easy to work with, and by leaving out a couple parts of the tank part, you can use it as an rda, or use the toppart of many side airway 22mm rda's on it.

It is also designed to refill like a protank:
1577700-2.jpg

Just unscrew upside down, and pour your liquid in down the sides, and screw back in.

My v2 does not have adjustable center pin;
the v3 seems to have a screw head for adjustable center pin, but I'd have to confirm if it's really adjustable

...and Yes it does; 8min in on this review he points that out:

Last edited:

FictitiousFreedom

ECF Veteran
May 3, 2014
WV
I really appriciate everyone's advice. It came between an erlk or k4. I went with the k4 even though no one suggested it. I wanted to go with my usual routine of research and discussion for long periods of time, which has worked very well. I've never bought anything vape related that wasn't almost exactly what I was looking for.

This time I hope I'm not disappointed, I still did a lot of research but once I saw the k4 I just kind of fell in love with it.

I had to order from a place in Germany so idk how long it will take for me to receive it but as soon as I do I'll share my first impressions with it and the 4s kit.

Scottitude

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2010
Metro Detroit
scottitude.net
Your research was clearly well done; I just got back from my weekly visit to Detroit Vapor Shop and the owner was raving about how much he's loving his new K4. He said even though he still loves his Erlkönigins, the K4 is currently his go-to topper.

It sounds like you made a great choice and won't be disappointed.

The wait will be a drag but it'll definitely be worth it. :thumb:

Last edited:

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
I really appriciate everyone's advice. It came between an erlk or k4. I went with the k4 even though no one suggested it. I wanted to go with my usual routine of research and discussion for long periods of time, which has worked very well. I've never bought anything vape related that wasn't almost exactly what I was looking for.

This time I hope I'm not disappointed, I still did a lot of research but once I saw the k4 I just kind of fell in love with it.

I had to order from a place in Germany so idk how long it will take for me to receive it but as soon as I do I'll share my first impressions with it and the 4s kit.

You have link to this k4?

I suspect its a clone/rebrand of something else so nobody knows what you're talking about.

FreeTimeNow

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2014
Henderson, NV

I'm like you, research forever, but when I saw the K4 (Kayfun 4 I believe, correct?) WOW, what a quality piece of engineering. The best part is fill from the top and rebuild without disturbing your tank. Outstanding. Can't wait to hear your opinion when you get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread