Need clarification of passthrough description, please

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/vaporalley/307590-added-ego-vv-passthrough-batteries.html shows in the description "When the battery is connected to your PC, the voltage is stable". I've seen this elsewhere on the web, too, and have always wondered: does that mean that when it's NOT connected to the USB power source it's NOT regulated to the chosen setting (3.2/3.7/4.2)? I'm assuming that "stable" means regulated...or if not what does it mean? If the voltage/stability/regulation is different when using with the USB connected from how it would work without USB then wouldn't that mean the device would have to have two separate sets of function instructions (two PCB's?)? But I've read many times that a passthrough with an inline battery works no differently when hooked up to USB - it's just charging while you use it. But there has to be some reason why the manufacturer put in that "When the battery is connected to your PC"-part, so...

Confuzzlement here, appreciate any and all explanations.

What I really want is just a detachable passthrough 900mah or more that is or can be regulated to 3.7 whether it's on USB or not.

TIA :)

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
I'm not positive what they mean, but perhaps it means that if the USB is connected you don't experience the horrendous voltage drop you normally get. Otherwise, you're right. It's redundant at best and meaningless at worst.

If you are considering this PV, I urge you to look at Pbusardo's review of it on Youtube. The loaded voltage of this unit is ridiculously low. IIRC, at a 3.2V setting, you get under 3V, which is basically useless. At 3.7V, you get about 3.2V and at 4.2V you get 3.7V. You can verify these numbers if you watch that review, where he tests it under load.

This has to be the sorriest excuse for a VV PV I've ever seen. Plus, it's not even variable, it's selectable. Huge difference.

Wow, thanks a LOT, sailorman! I was becoming suspicious, having seen the voltages-in-between-voltages shown in specs here --> Latest Variable Voltage passthrough products, buy Latest Variable Voltage passthrough products from alibaba.com which shows:
Different voltage different color LED indicate:
3.8 - 4.2V Blue LED (H voltage)
3.4 - 3.8V Blue&Red LED (M voltage)
3.0 - 3.4V Red LED (Low voltage)

but I had not found an actual review with testing, so what a huge help that is!

Only reason looking at a VV (or SV, lol) was I've not yet found a 3.7V regulated PT. I want the PT cuz of long hours at computer, and figure it saves charging cycles on the bat life as well as keeping me with a fully charged bat should I need to get up and go. I started vaping (after semi-disposables) with some manual 510's, borrowed a multimeter etc. etc. and concluded that 3.7V is fine for me and I really like the airy draw on my 510's. I really wish all the vendor sites had the specs that some of them do, where they show you the voltage or voltage-range and stuff like that, rather than just the This IS Cool Buy It Now approach. I will absolutely pay a few bucks more to know what I'm getting.

Thanks again :vapor:

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
I spend a lot of time at a computer as well, but since I got over my need for a smallish e-cig, I haven't touched a passthrough. If you get a VV that takes 18650 batteries, you can get them 2200mah or more. That's 18 hours or more of heavy chain vaping. A passthrough is pretty worthless compared to batteries like that.

You can get great 18650 batteries for $8. The should last at least a year, even if you recharge them every day. Battery lifespan isn't so important when you don't have to replace your entire PV if the battery wears out.

You might not ever use anything but 3.7V, but VVs are regulated to hold what you select. Even if the voltage drops when the batteries start getting depleted, you can just punch a button and boost it back up. On the one I use, that doesn't happen for at least 8-9 hours of steady vaping and my batteries are only 1600mah.

For not much more than a eGo VV passthrough, you can get a Vtube or Vtube mini. They're only slightly fatter than an eGo VV, and the "mini" is shorter. Apolloecigs.com has them on sale for 30% off with code Vtube30. The price of a kit is only $50-73, depending on the material, aluminum, chrome or stainless. They have a 1 year warranty and a 30 day money back guarantee. They also won't wear out like an eGo so you don't have to throw them away when the battery starts getting old. With 10-20 hour runtimes, who needs a passthrough?
ATUBE-8.jpg

Last edited:
A PBusardo Review GotVapes Variabe Voltage eGo Battery - YouTube is where pbusardo's review can be found. It adds a new element to my xt-limited knowledge of voltage and the like - the "under load" part. Not having a fancy do-dad that can do under-load testing, all I know is my fav bats put out a consistent 3.7ish from their first breath to their last, using a multimeter/no load. From the video, it looks like the load (a Boge LR so I figure my SR atties/cartos would take a little less, is that correct?) took away about .3-.4V so let's say my 3.7 bat would be a 3.3 under load. That's about what the reviewed device put out under load on its medium setting. So I guess if I could find one at a reasonable price, and peeps don't seem to say it fails right away, this or a similar bat would work for me. I just don't want something that wanders all over its voltage range willy-nilly, as I find that any higher voltage robs the sweet flavors I like so much but any lower voltage isn't so good for my other fav which is tobacco. I use a high VG ratio in my juice, so I get a good, IMO, amount of vapor and it's on the cooler side, which I prefer, as well. Have even been known to add the tiniest bit of menthol, in my more adventurous moments.

I wouldn't have been able to figure this out if not for the video so thanks again, sailorman! Search for a pbusardo review goes on the top of the list for how to vet vaping devices. :D

CrossInMail! lol That is definitely something to think about. I'm a pretty "green" person (either that or a borderline hoarder - can't throw anything away :glare: - I'm not sure which) so really like the idea of just replacing a battery instead of the whole shebang. Now I will have to have a look at the Vtube. Seriously, I don't even wanna really know the amount of time I've spent researching this PV stuff. Always something more to consider once I "think" I've decided what I want. What I do know, though, is that the whole process would be even way more confusing if not for folks on this forum who contribute their opinions and experiences. It really is amazing and wonderful.

Thanks for sharing :)

John D in CT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Connecticut
I want to second Sailorman's recommendation of the Apollo VV. Especially for the price, it's a great choice IMO for a very solid intro to VV, which is THE way to go if you're serious about vaping. It just is. Not many toasters are sold that don't let you have your toast either light or dark, and not many stoves are sold where the burners are either on or off.

There are some other great choices, but they cost more, and won't really give you a noticeably better vape. The Provari V2, Buzz Pro 2, Smoktech VMax, Reo (a different animal, the "bottom feeder"), and Darwin (seems to come only in "unobtainium") are some of the "usual suspects" for alternative VV choices.

There's one other device I'm going to mention (here it comes, Sailor lol), and that's the un-green yet way cool IMO Joyetech Twist. It's a sealed-battery device with a finite life, although my Joyetech eGo batteries are still going strong after about 7 months. (As a closet scientist, I just thought of a great poll to start; "How long before your Joyetech battery "loses its mojo?")

The Twist gives you 3.2 - 4.8 volt VV in a eGo-sized battery, with the 650mah being the one I would go with since the 1000mah is what I would consider to be "ridiculously long"). They come in black, silver, blue, white, and pink, and have gotten very good reviews indeed. With a DCT tank and a trim ring, they look great, and they're a very handy size for "stealth vaping" or out on the town. I use mine at home quite a bit as well, although my VMax is my "weapon of choice". That said, I have five Twists sitting in front of me in a cool little carousel, each fitted with a DCT tank with a different flavor in it, and that's as nice as it sounds. I have a sixth charging at all times, so the battery life - good but not "heroic" - is a non-issue for me. When I go out, I take a couple of Twist setups and a couple of extra Twist batteries, and sometimes the VMax + two extra batteries as well. I always have a spare Joyetech USB charger with me that I can plug into my ciggie lighter, too.

There's no one "perfect" APV. There just isn't. (Well, except for the ProVari V2 lol) But there are a lot of "no-brainers". The Apollo VV is one. The Twist would be one, except you have to get about three of them, but at $19 a pop, just do it, unless you feel very strongly about the "green" aspect of a quasi-disposable battery. The VMax is way, way cool IMO, but the jury is till out on long-term reliability, so it's kind of like buying a "growth stock" instead of something safer. But I o love mine - a lot. They come in black, silver, and either now, or soon, chrome as well. The Buzz Pro 2 has a reputation for being bomb-proof and performing great. The ProVari V2 speaks for itself; a legendary classic worth every penny IMO. The Darwin is in a class by itself as a variable wattage device, but they seem to be hard to come by, and I believe the battery is non-replaceable. (Sailor? That true?)

Here are some links and pics on the Twist. I do start people out on them, but I'm going to start "pushing" higher-end VV devices as well. That said, everyone loves them so far, and they've been doing just fine with two of them. I just remembered something important, and that is that I've been giving people just one charger, when they need two. Backup, backup, backup. And speaking of that, they need three Twists. And also speaking of that, you might not want to get just an Apollo VV. Or just a ProVari. Or just one of any device.

It's dawning on me that this is where the Twist really starts to shine. As a backup (A)PV that could also step in and "start the game", like a particularly good backup quarterback could. I just think they're so cool that I think everyone should own two or three. [Bites tongue hard].

Links:

THE EGO TWIST IS A GAME CHANGER - YouTube Grimm Green Twist Game changer

A PBusardo Review - eGo Twist - OvaleUSA - YouTube Phil Busardo Twist review

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/new-members-forum/306344-first-post.html

(This thread contains links to every single thing you'd need to buy along with the Twists; I recommend Smoktech 3.5ml DCT tanks with Boge 2.0 ohm single coil cartomizers [a Bulli A2-TM atomizer would be better], a charger [two if this will be your only APV], a trim ring, and a drip tip).

Pic:

Four Twists -  landscape.jpg

About the Volt: It's on my list of "must-have" devices for the truly serious vaper, even though it's ciggie-sized, and constant voltage.

"Why?", you might ask? Because as vapers, I think we have a duty to help others save their health and lives by getting them off of evil, evil cigarettes, which I despise along with the near-criminals who make and sell them. Having a variety of devices to show to people, or ideally to hand to them and say "here you go, if you like it, buy it off of me" [then you buy another], is literally a life-saving thing to do. Some people just absolutely want a PV that looks like a ciggie. The Volt is a very good one.

Being prepared with a wide variety of gear you can help people quit smoking with is kind of like having a fire extinguisher or a defibrillator with you if you need to save someone's life. Something to think about.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread