Status
Not open for further replies.

philoshop

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2014
geneva, ny, usa
What would you guys recommend as a starter set. Like mod and dripper. Something that would be easy enough to figure out with the help of YouTube and my own reading ability.

Your istick 50 will work fine as the mod part of the setup, and any of the drippers mentioned above can be used with it. I'm kinda partial to my Magma, but that's just me. Start with something inexpensive to see whether you actually like dripping or not. Keep in mind that you'll also need some basic tools like an ohm meter ($15 or so), something to form coils around (drill bits or small screwdrivers), and some wire and wick material.
Probably the easiest way to get started in coil building is by wrapping wire directly around a piece of silica wick. Some RDA's even come with these materials. Do a few evenly spaced wraps (the number will be determined by plugging your wire size and wick size into a calculator app like steamengine), install it on your dripper, and test it on your ohm meter to verify the resistance (shoot for around 1 to 1.5 ohms or so to start). Add some juice and vape away!
Building like this won't give the best possible vape but it's very quick and easy. Just my :2c:

mattman4597

May 13, 2015
Your istick 50 will work fine as the mod part of the setup, and any of the drippers mentioned above can be used with it. I'm kinda partial to my Magma, but that's just me. Start with something inexpensive to see whether you actually like dripping or not. Keep in mind that you'll also need some basic tools like an ohm meter ($15 or so), something to form coils around (drill bits or small screwdrivers), and some wire and wick material.
Probably the easiest way to get started in coil building is by wrapping wire directly around a piece of silica wick. Some RDA's even come with these materials. Do a few evenly spaced wraps (the number will be determined by plugging your wire size and wick size into a calculator app like steamengine), install it on your dripper, and test it on your ohm meter to verify the resistance (shoot for around 1 to 1.5 ohms or so to start). Add some juice and vape away!
Building like this won't give the best possible vape but it's very quick and easy. Just my :2c:
Accordin
Well I went to my local vape shop to buy the mutation x v3 and he advised against it because his other customers have shorted their istick 50w before. He said to do some research before jumping in and didn't want me to break my mod. Is that a fact or were the people just firing too high in your opinion. I'm new to all of this so I want as many opinions as possible. Haha.

mattman4597

May 13, 2015
I just ordered a Derringer rda will be my first I'm looking for flavor and it's supposed to have it so we'll see lol
That's the one they told me to get but I wanted to research more before I dove in. Still very happy with the freemax starre. Give me great flavor and clouds. Just want to experiment with dripping as well.

Reactions: ChiBear85

mattman4597

May 13, 2015
I got a lemo ll tank great product but researched drippers and kept coming back to the Derringer for flavor should have it in a day or two can't wait to find out
I started with sub ohming. Tried a kanger aerotank to save on juice but the flavor and clouds from the starre are just....ugh. delicious. Can't take less than that. Haha. I heard dripping will give me more but the hassle of it puts me off.

Reactions: ChiBear85

mattman4597

May 13, 2015
Well ill give my 2 cents lol. Id honestly habe to say imo i really like the troll rda by motofo. It has a delron insulator to keep your drip tip cool for us chain vapors or like me take it to the next step and get a chuff cap. I own countless amount of rda/rba. Just so happens thats my favorite. It also has a 4 post build deck for easy building and would be perfect for beggening down the rda path. Also massive airflow. All around a good atty. I paid $40 for mine but you can get them way cheaper online. Ive seen them on ebay for 20-26 dollars and they come with the chuff cap. Good luck and always use an ohm reader to check your build and have fun joining the world of rebuildables. Be safe and vape on!
Is that compatible with the istick 50w?

philoshop

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2014
geneva, ny, usa
Accordin

Well I went to my local vape shop to buy the mutation x v3 and he advised against it because his other customers have shorted their istick 50w before. He said to do some research before jumping in and didn't want me to break my mod. Is that a fact or were the people just firing too high in your opinion. I'm new to all of this so I want as many opinions as possible. Haha.

I am unaware of any compatibility issues. Didn't mean to lead you astray mattman. :(

Reactions: mattman4597

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
That's the one they told me to get but I wanted to research more before I dove in. Still very happy with the freemax starre. Give me great flavor and clouds. Just want to experiment with dripping as well.

Pretty much all of my drippers are clones. I'm not a dripper type person, but like you, I like to experiment.

As far as flavor is concerned, flavor is pretty much determined by a few factors... one is the coil build and juice, second is the airflow amount and third is chamber size.

The coil build is important, and I listed it together with the juice for a reason. Depending on your juice, you may want a hotter or cooler vapor. For example, spearmint, menthol, and citrus flavors might taste better cooled off instead of having a warm vape. This can be controlled by a higher ohm coil and higher gauge wire. Apple and Caramel on the otherhand, tastes great with a hot vape, so those are more suited to the subohms. This is more of a personal opinion though.

Airflow to me is one of the most important factors in flavor quality. You can up the airflow and blow some huge clouds, but you'll notice the flavor is not as strong. If you block off the airflow some, you'll have a tighter draw, but the flavor will be more concentrated and you'll notice the flavor quality goes up. That is why on my tanks, I never have it full open, nor on my drippers... I am a flavor junkie. :)

Chamber size also goes hand in hand with the airflow... a smaller and well directed airflow in a small chamber can contribute to the flavor. That is why I like the derringer, it's got a very tiny chamber.. you'll be surprised at how small it is.

Now, what sets one dripper apart from others, sounds more nitpicky, but it is important. I'll list some things I've personally noted...

The screws.. I prefer phillips heads, since the grub screws use allen wrenches... and not of a normal size. those grub screws can easily strip the allen wrench, then you're left with a dripper with no way of replacing a coil until you find that special sized allen wrench that neither Home Depot, Lowes, or Ace hardware sells.

I prefer the "hole trap" positive and negative connectors instead of trying to capture it from the screw head. when you're dealing with dual coils, it makes it MUCH easier.

Make sure you get decent screws. Some people have gotten connector areas that cut the leads instead of capture them.

I don't like my coils to be right under the drip tip. Reason being... I don't like the sputter coming off the wick to go straight on my tongue... it ruins the flavor.

Make sure you have a decent drip well. I have one bad clone where there's hardly any juice well, and the airflow goes down fairly close to the drip well. If I put more than a few drops in, juice will come out the air intake.

There are three vape shops near my house, and all three have drill presses for a reason. IF you get an atomizer, like the tugboat, and want to increase the airflow, you'll need one. Adjustable airflow helps, but sometimes can be a hinder if you want to increase the airflow on a hot dripper.

...speaking of which.. make sure it vents heat nicely. Unfortunately, the derringer has no heat sinks, so it gets very hot if you run low ohms. I try and make sure it doesn't fit totally flush with the mod, so the heat isn't transferred to the mod. On the other side of the 510, make sure the heat doesn't transfer up to your lips as well. A small delrin drip tip helps big time with this. Also a hybrid drip tip helps like this one.

If you're going for the clouds and not the flavor, chuff caps like this are Recommended. Increase the airflow to max, and put a chuff cap on... the airflow will be great and so will the clouds.

Anyways, just my few words to note. I'm sure others will have more to add to this, but I believe this might give you some good ideas as to what you're looking for. Good luck, have fun, and happy vaping.

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
Is that compatible with the istick 50w?

I forgot to note... you can use almost ANY dripper on an istick. The Istick has a standard 510 connector that most Ecigs use.. even those small ego ones. The Istick has a limitation of .4 ohms. You're limited to how low of a resistance you can go. below .4 ohms, and it simply will not work. That's good for beginners, since it keeps you out of the danger area. I'll list some blunt advices, since this can potentially turn into a novel with me. :)

thinner wire means less energy needed to get it hot, but also less juice to coil space. Thicker wire means more juice to coil contact area, hotter vape, more vapor.

Thinner wire has higher ohms resistance, thicker wire conducts more electricity, so lower resistance (thinner = higher ohms/inch, thicker=lower ohms/inch.

thicker wire heats up slower, thinner wire heats up quicker. Thicker wire cools slower, thinner cools quicker. (I've used 22 gauge, it will still "sizzle" 1 1/2 second after I release the fire button)

Lower ohms = more energy used.

If you use a mechanical mod and too low of an ohm resistance, it can result in the battery venting and potentially exploding. If you use too low of a resistance on a regulated mod, it will simply say low ohms, or short.

Ok.. I'll stop there.. there's so much more I could say about it. :)

mattman4597

May 13, 2015
Pretty much all of my drippers are clones. I'm not a dripper type person, but like you, I like to experiment.

As far as flavor is concerned, flavor is pretty much determined by a few factors... one is the coil build and juice, second is the airflow amount and third is chamber size.

The coil build is important, and I listed it together with the juice for a reason. Depending on your juice, you may want a hotter or cooler vapor. For example, spearmint, menthol, and citrus flavors might taste better cooled off instead of having a warm vape. This can be controlled by a higher ohm coil and higher gauge wire. Apple and Caramel on the otherhand, tastes great with a hot vape, so those are more suited to the subohms. This is more of a personal opinion though.

Airflow to me is one of the most important factors in flavor quality. You can up the airflow and blow some huge clouds, but you'll notice the flavor is not as strong. If you block off the airflow some, you'll have a tighter draw, but the flavor will be more concentrated and you'll notice the flavor quality goes up. That is why on my tanks, I never have it full open, nor on my drippers... I am a flavor junkie. :)

Chamber size also goes hand in hand with the airflow... a smaller and well directed airflow in a small chamber can contribute to the flavor. That is why I like the derringer, it's got a very tiny chamber.. you'll be surprised at how small it is.

Now, what sets one dripper apart from others, sounds more nitpicky, but it is important. I'll list some things I've personally noted...

The screws.. I prefer phillips heads, since the grub screws use allen wrenches... and not of a normal size. those grub screws can easily strip the allen wrench, then you're left with a dripper with no way of replacing a coil until you find that special sized allen wrench that neither Home Depot, Lowes, or Ace hardware sells.

I prefer the "hole trap" positive and negative connectors instead of trying to capture it from the screw head. when you're dealing with dual coils, it makes it MUCH easier.

Make sure you get decent screws. Some people have gotten connector areas that cut the leads instead of capture them.

I don't like my coils to be right under the drip tip. Reason being... I don't like the sputter coming off the wick to go straight on my tongue... it ruins the flavor.

Make sure you have a decent drip well. I have one bad clone where there's hardly any juice well, and the airflow goes down fairly close to the drip well. If I put more than a few drops in, juice will come out the air intake.

There are three vape shops near my house, and all three have drill presses for a reason. IF you get an atomizer, like the tugboat, and want to increase the airflow, you'll need one. Adjustable airflow helps, but sometimes can be a hinder if you want to increase the airflow on a hot dripper.

...speaking of which.. make sure it vents heat nicely. Unfortunately, the derringer has no heat sinks, so it gets very hot if you run low ohms. I try and make sure it doesn't fit totally flush with the mod, so the heat isn't transferred to the mod. On the other side of the 510, make sure the heat doesn't transfer up to your lips as well. A small delrin drip tip helps big time with this. Also a hybrid drip tip helps like this one.

If you're going for the clouds and not the flavor, chuff caps like this are Recommended. Increase the airflow to max, and put a chuff cap on... the airflow will be great and so will the clouds.

Anyways, just my few words to note. I'm sure others will have more to add to this, but I believe this might give you some good ideas as to what you're looking for. Good luck, have fun, and happy vaping.
Thank you. I appreciate you going further into the airflow aspect. I was curious. There are 2 vape shops by my house, I'll ask a bit.

dcfluegel

Shenaniganator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2015
Cleveland TN
I would suggest looking at a regulated mod that can handle a low ohm build if that is the route you are going to go - personally, have really liked my Smok M80 with my drippers - small ramp up lag (not terribly noticable with the new firmware on them) - and the troll rda has gotten a lot of really good press/ recommendations (I don't have one yet, but I will likely get one in the not too distant future - big fan of the 4 post set up with deep drip well, two of the things I really like about my El Cabron dripper - it's actually sitting on my Smok M80 right now)... biggest thing to keep in mind is the safety issue... with a regulated mod, you get a bit of inherent safety buffering because of the electronics/ cutoffs... do some looking around, though, and see what will work for you... be safe and happy vaping!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread