Need help in purchasing my first mod, batteries and charger

Status
Not open for further replies.

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
I'm interested in the alien. I'm torn between the alien and the hcigar vt75.

It's hard to choose when you can't actually see them in person

Visit a vape shop and check them out. Just because you looked at it there does not mean you are required to purchase there. But if (a big if) the price is close enough for you, walk out with one. I have problems with my hands and will not buy a mod without putting my hands on it first.

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
I haven't found any vape shops where I've just moved to. [emoji17]

I can understand that! I am very rural and my vape shop is 100 miles away. Only get there every month or two. If seeing the mod is of concern, watching a review video might be the next, best choice. Or just get the Alien and enjoy the heck out of it. :D

Thumpszilla

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Charger, Nitecore or Xtar. Both have fans. Get one with 4 bays, even though you're looking at a 2 battery mod. Believe me, down the road you'll kick yourself for only getting a 2 battery charger.

The Alien is a great kit. Well performing and pretty popular around here. The BB is a great cloud machine but only 2 ml which will disappear quickly. There have been some who report paint issues, but mine looks fine, and lots of reports from others that it's holding up just fine. However, it's an issue to be aware of.

For a second tank to play with, I like a Tobeco Super tank. Inexpensive and takes any Atlantis style coil. that means lots of choices from different manufacturers, so you're not as limited in coil selection as say the BB is.

As for batteries, any of the 20A offerings from LG, Samsung, or Sony should be fine. Buy only from a reliable dealer such as Iuum or IMR, as counterfeit rewraps are common on eBay and even Amazon (through third party sellers). Here's a useful list of recommended batteries from Mooch, our battery expert.

View attachment 637099
Mooch has and updated chart and it would be helpful to many if people would start using it instead of this old outdated one.
Mooch battery list.jpeg

Reactions: Ryedan

Thumpszilla

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I use an alien and run several hi wattage tanks on it including the Arctic V12, Limitless XL, TFV8, and the regular limitless. I run about 120watts average and I am currently using some Efest metallic purples (before you start bagging on my batteries check the chart the test at exactly what they are rated) they are 3000mah and 20a continuous drain. I vape about 20 - 30 mils of juice a day and use one full set and about half charge on another set all day. Also I just picked up a soda charger by efest from a local shop as an extra and it is just a basic charger but after watching their torture test I bought one. They left this thing in a fish tank for 3 days took out let it dry and it works like a charm. Yes I am at the vape shop enough to monitor a torture test like this. It works out cause they buy vinyl stickers and drip tips from me and I buy from them so I am there alot.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Mooch has and updated chart and it would be helpful to many if people would start using it instead of this old outdated one. View attachment 638617

Ah, those are battery safety ratings based on all of Mooch's tests. They are not his "recommended" batteries. To the best of my knowledge, "recommended" chart from 9/16 is still in effect. Perhaps @Mooch could weigh in on the differences between the two charts before folks start drawing inaccurate conclusions.

Reactions: KenD

Thumpszilla

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Ah, those are battery safety ratings based on all of Mooch's tests. They are not his "recommended" batteries. To the best of my knowledge, "recommended" chart from 9/16 is still in effect. Perhaps @Mooch could weigh in on the differences between the two charts before folks start drawing inaccurate conclusions.
How can you draw an inaccurate conclusion from a chart that shows what they claim the battery does and what it actually does. It also has his recommended high draw rating on it. If people can't read the actual data and make an intelligent decision not to buy a battery that says 35 amps and only tests at 10 amps then they need to stay with devices with internal batteries. I get that mooch knows how to test batteries and has the equipment but he provided you the list I posted. If you can't make your own decision on a battery from that then I don't know what to tell you. Do you really need him to tell you which cells he would buy so that you can go buy the same thing because he likes them? I mean come on.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
How can you draw an inaccurate conclusion from a chart that shows what they claim the battery does and what it actually does. It also has his recommended high draw rating on it. If people can't read the actual data and make an intelligent decision not to buy a battery that says 35 amps and only tests at 10 amps then they need to stay with devices with internal batteries. I get that mooch knows how to test batteries and has the equipment but he provided you the list I posted. If you can't make your own decision on a battery from that then I don't know what to tell you. Do you really need him to tell you which cells he would buy so that you can go buy the same thing because he likes them? I mean come on.

Yeah, I kinda do like him saying which ones he trusts and recommends. Most of that list are rewraps of other batteries. As such they may be B stock from the larger manufacturers, or subject to change what's under the wrap without necessarily telling the consumer. I also don't like battery manufacturers who consistently overrate their batteries offered to the public. Sure, I can look at that chart and say "Oh, that Enook or Imren rated at 40A is still good for 10A, and that's all I really need", but sorry, I won't bite. And a new vaper will look at that entire list and would bite.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Does someone tell you which juice to buy too? I stand by my statement if you can't take that data and make an informed decision you need to stay with internal battery mods.

Well, we'll agree to disagree on this one. Maybe I'm just the kinda person who likes to take advice from folks with a documented knowledge base that's greater than my own.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015

One is all the 18650's I've tested with their claimed and tested current ratings.
    The other just has the batteries, of different sizes, I recommend along with their claimed and tested current ratings.

No differences in the data between them. One just has a subset of the batteries contained in the other.

There are other good batteries out there though. Those are just my top choices.

KenD

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 20, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    kennetgranholm.com
    using some Efest metallic purples (before you start bagging on my batteries check the chart the test at exactly what they are rated) they are 3000mah and 20a continuous drain.

Unless Efest have changed the battery under the wrapper, they've been known to do that. With rewraps you can't really know without testing the specific batteries you use. Also, you should note that with the Alien you're using over 20 amps unless you pull the batteries way before the low charge warning.

Sent from my K6000 Pro using Tapatalk

Reactions: Eskie

KenD

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 20, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    kennetgranholm.com
    The list doesn't show the discharge curves. With only the amp rating and capacity you don't really know which battery is best for which application.

Sent from my K6000 Pro using Tapatalk

Thumpszilla

Unresolved Status
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Yeah I think that is why he added the recommended amperage column. But hey if you want to have someone else tell you what to buy that's your business. My RC charger test discharge amperage as well as balance charge and discharge. You can do a quick Google and for less than $20 make a nice balance charge discharge tray for your 18650's and do up to 11 cells with my particular charger. All my RC lipos are 18650 packs. So buy what someone else tells you or look at this chart and make your own decisions it's up to you. I will not try to tell you which cells to buy but if you trust him so much how is it so hard to believe that when a cell tests at what it says and he recommends it at 5amps more than that to believe his information?

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Thumpszilla

Unresolved Status
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    One is all the 18650's I've tested with their claimed and tested current ratings.
    The other just has the batteries, of different sizes, I recommend along with their claimed and tested current ratings.

No differences in the data between them. One just has a subset of the batteries contained in the other.

There are other good batteries out there though. Those are just my top choices.
    Thanks Mooch for explaining your charts. Yet they still believe if it's not on your recommendation chart it must be BADDD!

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Kathibg57

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 25, 2013
    Norton, MA, USA
    I'm interested in the alien. I'm torn between the alien and the hcigar vt75.

It's hard to choose when you can't actually see them in person
    I LOVE my Alien. Have had it since it came out and as I'm very careful with my mods I will admit it got knocked down the other day and now has a tiny chip in the paint. If you get one of the "new" Aliens they've fixed the paint issues. I'd go for the alien! As a matter of fact I'm going to ask my kids for money to buy a second Alien! That's how much I like them!!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread