Need help with buying a new mod!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugDoctor

Apr 1, 2012
United States
I'm new to the whole mod thing along with the whole 510/801/901 stuff. I started on a blu and went up to the Echo, which is a 808 thread. I love my Echo and won't stop using it, but was wanting to get one of these mod deals. I'm not looking to spend alot of money on one, but want a good reliable one. The ones I'm looking at are the Bolt or the Indulgence, heavily leaning toward the Indulgence because I've seen it sell as a whole kit for around $58 or so. I'm wanting to start doing some dripping and can't do that with my Echo and the Echo is 808 threading and I'm very limited to what addons I can get for it unlike a mod with a 510 threading. I'm only use to using cartos and would really like to try out some dripping.

So is the Bolt and Indulgence a good mod to have for there price range? And does anyone know of a place that sells Indulgence kits at a good price? I found one place mystmasters that have the kit for $54.95 free shipping but they are sold out.

Absintheur

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2012
north central Indiana
The Bolt is available with an 808 connection so you could use the cartos you already have. On the other hand switching to a 510 connection opens up a whoile new world of accessories. Plus remember the saying penny wise but pound foolish meaning buying the cheapest now may cost you more later. Read reviews and watch some on youtube. Make a list of features you want such as drip well, is it Kickable, what batteries do I want to use, will I want to stack batteries later, etc. Then make your choice. Even if what you want is a bit more money you will be happier in the long run.

The three I use the most are my ProVari, my Silver Bullet, and my Saber Touch.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I agree with Absintheur that in the long run changing to a 510 threaded device opens your choices to more vaping devices such as atomizers to drip, carto or clearo tanks, that just are not available for the beginner 808 threaded devices.

My first mods after starting out with an 808 system were the Silver Bullet and BB from Altsmoke. These are extremely well machined devices designed to last many years. AltSmoke provides excellent customer service; should their USA made PV's require repair of any kind, it will be repaired in-house by the creator known as Chad. My BB needed a new power switch while under warranty and Chad repaired it free of charge and with no postage costs.

I'd recommend either the BB or Silver Bullet. The BB is smaller and can be vaped in a stealth manner by cupping it into your hand. It uses a 14500 battery which will last you a minimum of 10 hours, most likely more. The battery is the size of a AA battery, so extra batteries are easy to pack with you wherever you might go.

It's $85 for the mod only. Expect to get a minimum of 2 batteries and a charger, and whatever devices you plan to use (atomizer, cartomizer, clearomizer, CE3, carto tank, clearo tank). It's a great first "big battery" mod when advancing from the smaller stick batteries.

View attachment 132562 View attachment 132563 View attachment 132564 View attachment 132565
pics of AltSmoke BB with Smoktek Titan clearomizer tank and leather lanyard from Serenity Gear

I still have my Silver Bullet, and recently got a Provari, but I still use the BB frequently because of its smaller size to be used out and about and it hits as hard as the other two mods.

People will undoubtedly recommend an Ego device or a Twist for variable voltage. Just understand that those are designed to be disposable devices that will only last months, as opposed to the tube mods that will last you years of use using rechargable replaceable batteries.

Also be aware of where other mods are manufactured. If a Chinese mod needs repair after warranty, there is no place to get it repaired. Buy USA made is my advice.

http://altsmoke.com/starterkit.html

Last edited:

RugDoctor

Apr 1, 2012
United States
I was considering a lava tube but read some bad reviews on them not lasting long and breaking after a month or two. I would love to get a provari but will not pay that price, I would just stay using my Echo's with the clearo tanks. I have been comparing the silver bullet and BB to the Bolt and haven't found much difference except price. I've read alot of good reviews on the Indulgence, just wonder if anyone on here using them.
I'm not sure on the ego devices being disposable, I've been using some echo 650 mah batteries and the crystal vision clearos for about 8 months and they are still going strong and that is vaping over 2ml of juice through them a day.
Ego brand may be different though.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
I'm a little confused about what you want here.

Why can't you drip with the Echo? If you can attach an atty to it you can drip.

If you don't like your 808 options you could simply (and inexpensively) buy an 808 to 510 adapter. That would open you up to connecting anything with 510 threading to your Echo. Just make sure you order the correct adapter - 808 battery threading to 510 - not the other way around.

However, if you are sold on getting a mod my personal recommendation is a VariCool box mod from SmokTek.com. By the time you add in 2 sets of batteries and a charger it's gonna run the price up to around $88.00 but it's reliable and it works. I'm still uncertain though what it is about a mod you actually want though.

Absintheur

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2012
north central Indiana
Another I should have mentioned and I always forget about are the inexpensive mods from Mountain Vapor. These are very inexpensive 3.7 volt devices. Priced at $15 and $17 respectively for the different sizes, I have one of each and tend to use them when I don't want to take one of my more expensive mods with me...like out in the middle of Lake Erie walleye fishing. These have an eGo style 510 connection and work great. Add a couple batteries and a charger and you are good to go.

Mini Mountain Vaporizer 18350 Battery Tube
Mountain Vaporizer 18650 Battery Tube

mod1.jpg

mod2.jpg

Kevin King

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2012
PA
the SmokTech telescope is very versatile. can run an 18350, 18490/18500, or 18650. the panasonic CGR18650s wont fit, AW IMR will. it can also be kicked using an AW IMR 18350 or 18490. the connection is solid and there are vent holes in them now. 100% mechanical, bottom firing pin, and hits hard. its worth the price all day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread