Status
Not open for further replies.

ghost62

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2012
Marion, Ohio
89 days and counting!
For me, that's a big deal- I was a 2 pack a day smoker for over 25 years, was given a starter kit (Mistic from Walmart) and haven't lit up since.
I have, however, moved beyond that initial kit- first by refilling the Mistic cartos, then buying a KR808d-1 kit from Litecig, a USB manual passthrough, numerous carto orders, juice, extra batteries (Vapor Titan Diamond Series from V4L), a PCC. I have drip tips, a couple 808 threaded CE4 clearomizers and just ordered a 1300mah Echo battery.
I'm even starting to make my own juice (I use a test method I read about here on ECF to determine my nic levels- great post! Thanks!)
To me, that sounds like someone with a decent grip on vaping, so why the h*** am I looking at all this 501 stuff and asking myself if I made the right choice?
What I want:
- Fat batts at a reasonable price (like the Echo) that will seamlessly work with my CE4s, my 808 tanks as well as my standard cartos (having the LR option would be great as well)
- A clear and concise explanation of how what I'm ordering will mesh with my existing equipment.
- 808 Mods
- OPTIONS, OPTIONS OPTIONS!!!
It seems like everywhere I turn, I see something really cool that I want but it is 501
I chose the 808 platform because it was the most similar in form and function to Mistic I started with, seemed pretty straightforward and easy to use for a noob like me.
I'm so invested now in the 808 that I'm reluctant to change, but am considering a move to strictly the higher mah fat batteries and mods. Do I need to change lines entirely to get the options and prices I want, or can someone point me to a single site/manufacturer/resource featuring the 808's with everything I'm looking for?
I warned ya- I'm a noob, so I might be asking the impossible, but any help or recommendations would be GREATLY appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

TarFreeMe

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 18, 2012
Bellevue, NE
Congratulations first of all!

If you decide to move over to the 510 side, most sites that I've done business with sell adapters to fit your 808 gear onto a 510 threaded device. As things die and you buy new attachments you can phase in the 510 stuff as needed rather than dropping a big wad of cash to convert right off.

I don't personally know of any mods that use 808 threading but they may exist. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me will be along shortly to answer that one.

ghost62

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2012
Marion, Ohio
TFM- Thanks for the reply.
I've heard some negative things about decreased performance using adapters, but then again, I also heard that Elvis was spotted at Dunkin' Donuts having a bear claw yesterday, so I don't know what to believe.
Have you used any- if so, did they work okay?
(ANYONE can chime in on this. It would be appreciated)
BTW- This is my first thread. Have just been lurking around since I joined (I call it 'research') :2cool:

bigpman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I've heard some negative things about decreased performance using adapters, but then again, I also heard that Elvis was spotted at Dunkin' Donuts having a bear claw yesterday, so I don't know what to believe.
BTW- This is my first thread. Have just been lurking around since I joined (I call it 'research') :2cool:

Adapters are nothing more than metal pieces that conduct electricity, I can't see them taking away any performance:)

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.

Kay1959

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2012
Out in the middle of Nowhere
I agree with TarFreeMe. Most if not all higher mods have 510 threading. You can get an adaptor like this to continue using your cartos ect and phase out of the 808's as they hit the trashcan.
This adaptor will work for a 510 battery to 808, so it would work for you, abet maybe not PERFECTLY seamless. You will see it.

510-808 adapter - Use 510 on 808/901 or 808/901 on 510!

Be sure to get the 510 to 808 and not the other way round.

ghost62

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2012
Marion, Ohio
901 threading is the same as 808. If so here's one:
GLV-2 Electronic Cigarette [GLV-2] - $120.00 : Electronic Cigarettes and E-Liquid - Great Lakes Vapor
BUT...
"The threading on 808D cartomizers IS the same as the threading used on 901 atomizers. HOWEVER, it is important to remember that some 808D cartomizers do not have an airhole and may require an adapter to get airflow with some batteries/passthrus."
901 Battery to 808-D Atomizer adapter

WOW! This things rocks! Maybe someday....

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
Yes it does. If I were you I'd get a 510 to 808 adapter and move forward with the idea of purchasing a 510 (connector) PV. Many more 510 choices out there and much money to be saved when vaping a 510 and to be further stuck with a 901/ 808 wouldn't be a good choice IMO.
Good Luck.

WOW! This things rocks! Maybe someday....

jhfw

Verified Member
May 10, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I made the switch from 801 to 510 using adapters, and had no problems at all. There is really not much else you can do if you wish to have access to all those options available with the 510 threading. No matter what we may want the market has decided that 510 is the standard at the moment and I decided not to fight it. Kind of like VHS and Beta in video tapes.

Squish

ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2012
Alberta
Yeah, my adapter I got to use my 808's on my Ego twist don't work at all (blocks the air holes). I just bit the bullet and switched completely to 510s. They work extremely well and now I have decent battery life. But I still go back to my 808 bats when I'm out and about cause they're smaller, so I don't see it as wasted $ at all

TarFreeMe

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 18, 2012
Bellevue, NE

I've used 510 - 808 and 501 - ego adapters for a few things before I found my "near perfect" combination of gear and threw everything else into a drawer. I remember it tightening the draw just a little on one clearo but not enough to make it intolerable or even unpleasant. It was definitely worth the few bucks I spent for the adapter.

I've been thinking a bit about the whole 808 in a mod thing since reading your first post and it occurred to me that the Buzz Pro has the option of getting an 808 top cap. That's the only one I can think of that I've run across. I almost got one for the same reason, all my stuff was 808 at the time.

Cartos and clearos and most everything else burn out eventually. If you think you may be on the path to the upper end of things, you'll find that most of the devices are 510 threaded.

Via!

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 4, 2012
Jacksonville FL
Mr ghost...I, too, used 808s exclusively when I first started vaping...and I had the same questions...I purchased a ProVari about a month ago, it is a 510...

I have a full stock of 808 stuff, batteries, cartos, tanks, egos and ego mega carts...so, it will be a while before I run out of ALL my stuff....so, I continue to use it...I take my V4L stuff when I am "out and about", I fill my own cartos...and I don't expect the 808 batts to live forever...

I also have a very good use for my 808s...any time I want to "loan" or "give" a setup to a friend who wants to switch, I do so with the 808...if it gets "lost" or forgotten, or I give it away, the total is less than $20...basically an 808 batt and a few cartos is pretty inexpensive...with the tanks, I just replaced the 808 cartos with 510 cartos, and that switch was complete...but, any NEW items I purchase are 510s

I used cartos, tanks and mega cartos on my 808s...and I got truly frustrated with the constant "adjust the post" routine...and worrying about leaking...now that I have both the 510 ProVari and the 510 ego...I don't have to play the "swap" game on my 808s...I use only 808s I've already purchased on the stick batts, and the 808 mega cartos I've already purchased on my egos...and 510 everything on my 510s with out any irritating post pulling! I believe that changing between tanks/cartos and other 808 accessories was the root of all my issues...but have never been happier with the change!

Changing to a 510 has allowed me to try MANY more items than I was able to do with the 808s...I cant tell you how many hours I spent on fruitless searches for some item or another that wasnt available as a kr808-d1...and how much $$$ i wasted buying something that was listed as an 808, but it wasnt an kr808-d1...and as you know, cartos, tanks, etc are not returnable...so, i was STUCK with something i couldnt use...ever....Sure, I know that there are MANY folks that prefer an 808 over a 510....but as I've stated numerous times, the beautiful thing about vaping is that no two vapers have the exact same setup! Everyone's vape stash is different; preferences are different...if you haven't purchased a 510 yet, purchase an inexpensive set up...see if you like it...if you do, transisition slowly..there is no rush...you have lots of (extra) time to try everything!

Yes, the adapters work...I bought the 808 to 510 and because I have 510s, I bought the 510 to 808...

I wish you the best if luck with which ever route you decide to take!

Last edited:

mmrock

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 19, 2012
michigan, usa
i started with an 808 mini cig and moved to 510's because 510's have a lot more options. i ordered an adapter recently so i could use my 808 carto"s on my kgo, but the kgo didnt work with half of them, the other half worked good. maybe the center posts needed adjusting or maybe they were just cheap carto's, idk. lol .. but it was just a couple of bucks for the adapter, so it was worth a try.

dont forget to put the adapter on the battery first, then the carto or atty or whatever second. i heard if you put the adapter on the carto and stuff first, then the battery, it might short out the battery. dont know if thats true, or not, but better safe than sorry.

..elvis rules! i think i seen him at a chuck E cheese recently! lol

WCSR

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2012
Earth
I made the switch from 801 to 510 using adapters, and had no problems at all. There is really not much else you can do if you wish to have access to all those options available with the 510 threading. No matter what we may want the market has decided that 510 is the standard at the moment and I decided not to fight it. Kind of like VHS and Beta in video tapes.
Boy, I remember the VHS/Beta days. Then we witnessed it again with Laser Disc and DVD, then again with BluRay and HD DVD. Same thing happened with 808 and 510. The people have spoken, and 510 will probably be the standard moving forward.

To the OP... I too started with the Mistic this last time. Decided I was good with the 808 style gear, so I bought two X2's from Volt (ended up giving one to a friend), and 20 Boge 2.0 cartos. Once those cartos are used up, I will then switch to 510 gear. Hate to leave Volt, because their stuff is good (real good, actually), but the options really are limited in the 808 market. Truth be told, I'd probably stick with Volt if they'd develop something like the Ego-Twist. Give me a VV, and I'd be in there like swimwear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread