Need help with coil material

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooseknuckle

ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2010
us
I am kinda a noob when it comes to prebuilt coils. I am looking for coils that feel very strong/sturdy, but I am not sure what material it is.

I had coils that said they were .25ohm and all it says is "KA1 WIRE + Ni80 wire" and they felt very sturdy/hard to pull the wraps apart etc....

I bought what I thought were a good replacement for those, but they feel flimsy and easy to pull apart the wraps. They are .36ohm, 316l stainless steel, 30gx4/36g.

So apparently the stainless steel wires are more flimsy...I cannot seem to find coils that have KA1 + Ni80 like the sturdy coils I once had. I
am trying to figure out which material/what I need to look for in order for the coils to be sturdy like the old coils.

Can someone help me out with this? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Reactions: AngeNZ

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    I am kinda a noob when it comes to prebuilt coils. I am looking for coils that feel very strong/sturdy, but I am not sure what material it is.

I had coils that said they were .25ohm and all it says is "KA1 WIRE + Ni80 wire" and they felt very sturdy/hard to pull the wraps apart etc....

I bought what I thought were a good replacement for those, but they feel flimsy and easy to pull apart the wraps. They are .36ohm, 316l stainless steel, 30gx4/36g.

So apparently the stainless steel wires are more flimsy...I cannot seem to find coils that have KA1 + Ni80 like the sturdy coils I once had. I
    am trying to figure out which material/what I need to look for in order for the coils to be sturdy like the old coils.

Can someone help me out with this? Thanks in advance.

Might need a bit more info. What wattage did you run the 0.25ohm tougher coils at? And as a single coil or dual coi!?

Out of 316L, ni80 and Ka1, Stainless steel is definitely the springiest.

Your 316L coil 30gx4/36g, consisted of four 'cores' of 30g, wrapped with 36g wire.

If you want a sturdier coil, go for a lower gauge 'core' wire
    eg: 28*4/36 or 28gx4/36 or even 26*3/36

You will need more wattage to run a 28*4/36 coil, than you would for a 30*4/36 coil.

• Agree
    Reactions: Superuser187

englishmick

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 25, 2014
    Naptown, Indiana
    I've used kanthal and SS coils and I know kanthal is quite a bit stiffer than SS. I stopped using SS mainly because the coils were so flimsy and they deformed too easily when I put a wick through them. Could be that a coil with the same sizes as the SS one but made with kanthal would be sturdy enough for you. Or you might need to get one with thicker kanthal.

Never used one of those fancy coils. Don't know for sure but I imagine most of the sturdiness comes from the inner wire rather than the thin wire wrapped around the outside. If that's true it wouldn't matter whether the outer wire was Ni80 or kanthal or anything else.

Just in case you didn't know, those fancy coils might not be available any more after the end of the month due to the vape shipping regs.

There's probably people around who could give you a better answer. Good luck.

chrissmanjudge

Moved On
    Mar 11, 2021
    • Deleted by retired1

Mooseknuckle

ECF Veteran
    Feb 2, 2010
    us
    Might need a bit more info. What wattage did you run the 0.25ohm tougher coils at? And as a single coil or dual coi!?

Out of 316L, ni80 and Ka1, Stainless steel is definitely the springiest.

Your 316L coil 30gx4/36g, consisted of four 'cores' of 30g, wrapped with 36g wire.

If you want a sturdier coil, go for a lower gauge 'core' wire
    eg: 28*4/36 or 28gx4/36 or even 26*3/36

You will need more wattage to run a 28*4/36 coil, than you would for a 30*4/36 coil.
    I vape at 23-27 watts

Thanks for the info, greatly appreciated.

Reactions: AngeNZ

Mooseknuckle

ECF Veteran
    Feb 2, 2010
    us
    I've used kanthal and SS coils and I know kanthal is quite a bit stiffer than SS. I stopped using SS mainly because the coils were so flimsy and they deformed too easily when I put a wick through them. Could be that a coil with the same sizes as the SS one but made with kanthal would be sturdy enough for you. Or you might need to get one with thicker kanthal.

Never used one of those fancy coils. Don't know for sure but I imagine most of the sturdiness comes from the inner wire rather than the thin wire wrapped around the outside. If that's true it wouldn't matter whether the outer wire was Ni80 or kanthal or anything else.

Just in case you didn't know, those fancy coils might not be available any more after the end of the month due to the vape shipping regs.

There's probably people around who could give you a better answer. Good luck.
    Thanks a lot for the info!

Coyote628

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
    Sep 16, 2017
    I use 22ga kanthal, wrap seven rounds on a 2.5mm mandrel. A pair of these together have a resistance of .20 to .22 ohm. And these are sturdy and wont deform during wicking. Change the wicking regularly and dry burn the gunk, you will get months of use from a pair of these. Months.

• Useful
    Reactions: Izan

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    It's not that stainless steel is intrinsically a more flimsy a material. It's just that it has lower resistance than Kanthal or nichrome. So if one wants coils of x restance, a coil made out of stainless steel will have be made out of thinner wire, and that's what makes it seem flimsier.

• Agree
    Reactions: Truckin Vaper
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread