Status
Not open for further replies.

wfarrar33

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2010
Arkansas
on the mcmaster carr site there are 3 types of #400 mesh. Type 304, Type 316, and Type 430

below is a excerpt copied and pasted from their site:

Stainless Steel Type
Features
Type 304 Stainless Steel
Good corrosion resistance. Type 316 Stainless Steel
Due to its molybdenum content, Type 316 stainless steel has greater chemical corrosion resistance than Type 304 stainless steel. Type 430 Stainless Steel
Offers good corrosion resistance. It is chromium-based (ferritic) and magnetic.

Which kind do i need? Thanks in advance guys

silentt

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 14, 2011
Virginia
1 sheet of Super Fine #400 Stainless:

Subtotal: £7.99
Shipping (Royal Mail 1st Class): £5.50
Exempted VAT: -£1.33
Total: £12.16

edit: $20.34 USD for one sheet + shipping. I received three though so it was totally worth it, I've heard from a couple people saying that they always throw in extra at themeshcompany.com.

Last edited:

clavit

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 18, 2008
EU
Has everyone who tried this been successful? Does the mesh get brittle with new coils?

It took me a long time to oxidise the mesh correctly to avoid shorts, but it was worth it. My first mesh wick worked for a month before i killed the coil trying to clean it. I wound a new coil on the used wick a couple of days ago and it still works flawlessly.
I've had maybe two or three burnt hits in a month of use, so i would say it wicks perfectly :)
Try it, it's definitely worth the hassle!

lorderos33

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2011
FL
Has everyone who tried this been successful? Does the mesh get brittle with new coils?
I've been thinking about trying this technic with 7x19 1/8 or 3/16 ss cable. But if the fine mesh works and doesnt get fragile. Either way its an extra effort I suppose.

The mesh does not get brittle at all. I've been on the same wick for many weeks now (still the first one I made for the iAtty). To keep it working like new, just brush it clean every 5-6 tankfuls. Between coils i take the wick out and clean with a torch then re-oxidize the mesh before re-installing it.

The coil will normally last a few weeks if you are doing them the same way I do. I use 32ga kanthal A-1 for resistance and 30 ga .999 fine silver for the NR wire. I secure them with 1mmx1mm silver crimp beads.

Flavor, vapor and TH are all the same as day one still.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread