Stainless Steel Mesh - What type to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

inter_ceptor00

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2011
Minor Details
as nicotime mentions....the numbers refer to the "recipe" of the steel. All the 300 series steels (stainless steel) are perfectly safe for vaping off of , the difference being very slight in the exact alloy mix used for each in order to create different qualities in the finished metal. The difference between 304 and 316 is the addition of molybdenum and a 1% reduction of chromium which is thought to decrease corrosion and pitting due to chlorides (like for boating equipment that is constantly submerged in seawater) . Nothing we need to care about. so go with whats easier to procure. 304 or 316 both perfectly acceptable heres a link to the wiki page with steel grade charts for comparison http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steel_grades

Last edited:

Trapper1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 24, 2012
PA

Trapper1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 24, 2012
PA
Thank you very much :)

as nicotime mentions....the numbers refer to the "recipe" of the steel. All the 300 series steels (stainless steel) are perfectly safe for vaping off of , the difference being very slight in the exact alloy mix used for each in order to create different qualities in the finished metal. The difference between 304 and 316 is the addition of molybdenum and a 1% reduction of chromium which is thought to increase corrosion and pitting due to chlorides (like for boating equipment that is constantly submerged in seawater) . Nothing we need to care about. so go with whats easier to procure. 304 or 316 both perfectly acceptable heres a link to the wiki page with steel grade charts for comparison Steel grades - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Trapper1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 24, 2012
PA
Thank you thats exactly the help I needed is there a link for the kanthal wire I should use Im lost on that to, Thanks again for your help :)

Use this link on ebay for stainless steel mesh 400, 316 grade (use drop down box to select the 400 mesh)

STAINLESS STEEL WOVEN WIRE MESH (filter grading sheet) | eBay

$3.91 plus $3.14 shipping this is for 15 sq. cm (about 6 square inches), no additional shipping charge if you order more multiple sheets.

Trapper1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 24, 2012
PA

chillrobb

Verified Member
Sep 2, 2012
Arizona
as nicotime mentions....the numbers refer to the "recipe" of the steel. All the 300 series steels (stainless steel) are perfectly safe for vaping off of , the difference being very slight in the exact alloy mix used for each in order to create different qualities in the finished metal. The difference between 304 and 316 is the addition of molybdenum and a 1% reduction of chromium which is thought to decrease corrosion and pitting due to chlorides (like for boating equipment that is constantly submerged in seawater) . Nothing we need to care about. so go with whats easier to procure. 304 or 316 both perfectly acceptable heres a link to the wiki page with steel grade charts for comparison Steel grades - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This guy has a great answer. This explains the 316 number, but when you say 400 or 325, my understanding is that is 400X400 squares per 12"X12" area of sheet. Am I correct on this? And, is that true that the number represents the squares in a 1 foot square sheet?

BJ43

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2008
If you want juice to flow going down by gravity, a loose wick with with a big hole flows the best but that is not true wicking.
Wicking (capillary action) defined as a fluid rising against gravity is best with a tight dense 400 ss wick with a very small center hole.
I am now using # 500 ss on all my lines and it is twice as efficient at wicking as #400.
In a simple lab test I put 3 inch same dia wicks in 2 inches of VG and 3 more in 2 inches of PG and 3 in 2 inches of kerosine. This new test I used 325, 400,500 SS mesh. The kerosine only rose 1/16 in on the 325 and not measurable with PG or VG. I put a little dab of cotton on the top tip of each wick to see when it got wet. With kerosine the cotton got wet almost immediately on both 400 and 500, pg took 2 min to wet the cotton on 400 and and less than a minute on the 500, the VG took about 30 seconds longer on each. Using small jars with a hole in the cap for the wick I made mini kerosine burners. Even with prewetting the 325 it would not maintain a flame. The flame on the 500 was twice the size of the flame on the 400 and consumed the kerosine in half the time. All were 45mm rolled by 3 inches long, rolled tight on a thin paperclip.
500 mesh here
http://www.themeshcompany.com/acatalog/25-micron-super-fine-mesh.html
Hole size (space between the wires on 400 is .039mm and on 500 it is .026mm)

Last edited:

BJ43

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2008
I am not Newton but this is my educated opinion, BJ's law

I have found when the tank is underneath and juice has to rise the best is 400 mesh, PG or VG, the juice has to rise by capillary action and the smaller the air spaces in the mesh the better it wicks, I only use 100% VG and have no problem with 400 mesh and hardly no wicking with 325 when the fluid has to rise, Most of the successful use of 325 over 400 is in attys with the tank above and fed by gravity and on these the larger spaces let it flow more juice down. This is not capillary action (wicking), it is flow by gravity. Wicking (capillary action) is a liquid rising against gravity.
It is a very easy lab experiment. Roll 3 in long wicks from different mesh #, put them in a small jar with 2 inches of vg and leave them over night. The next day you can see that the only one the juice has risen is the 400. 500 is even better if you can find it. Basic law of capillary action is, the smaller the hole, the higher the liquid rises. Doesn't matter if it is PG or VG.
After testing many wick sizes in my line type attys, IMO the more mesh you can roll as tight as you can of SS 400 mesh the better.
I started out with loose 25mm of mesh for a 2.5mm dia wick, then went to 35mm, then 45mm and now use 60mm very tight roll with a very small center hole for a 2.5mm dia. Seems that wicks are like the golf swing, every thing is opposite to what you would think.

Now if you want liquid to flow down, the bigger the holes in the mesh (325, 200) the bigger the flow (not capillary action) and the harder to control. Hard to put a valve on gravity and gravity causes different flow depending on the height of the liquid (another law of physics/hydraulics). So your flow is greater when the overhead tank is full and diminishes as it empties.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread