Need New Button Top Battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
So I accidentally bought some protected button top Samsungs and are you all saying they will work in a provari (it wasn't length I was concerned about but more that it was an alien looking and yes clear wrapped button top with like metallic stuff running down the sides and I accidentally TOOK one mostly apart from like, not understanding what I had bought and I was like "I am NOT doing anything other than setting them aside, but like, if they ARE okay to use in a provari I most definitely want to know it because I have been wanting to get more AW larger button top batteries forever, and waiting.

I will wait for a definitive answer because I was like, those don't even look like the batteries that didn't look like "normal" batteries to me when I first started using EXTERNAL batteries.

I would also be exceedingly happy to know I haven't wasted my dough, though.

Anna

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
So I accidentally bought some protected button top Samsungs and are you all saying they will work in a provari (it wasn't length I was concerned about but more that it was an alien looking and yes clear wrapped button top with like metallic stuff running down the sides and I accidentally TOOK one mostly apart from like, not understanding what I had bought and I was like "I am NOT doing anything other than setting them aside, but like, if they ARE okay to use in a provari I most definitely want to know it because I have been wanting to get more AW larger button top batteries forever, and waiting.

I will wait for a definitive answer because I was like, those don't even look like the BATTERIES that didn't look like "normal" batteries to me when I first started using EXTERNAL batteries.

Anna

This is what Baditude said earlier in this thread. They might or might not work. I would worry they might even cause a problem with either the battery or the mod. To me it wouldn't be worth the bother. Maybe you could get flashlight to use them in.

Those are "protected" high capacity batteries more suited for a flashlight. They may or may not work because the Provari has its own protection circuitry and the protected circuit in the batteries may interfere with the Provari's circuit board. The poster needs unprotected high drain batteries.

• Agree
Reactions: Baditude

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Well, I have an elderly beater stealth p3 that I picked up in an auction that I just might try one in... carefully. It's not like anyone's going to buy it, that is how much patina is on it, but hey, I would love to find a use for those batteries.

Although, I also may try it outside, while it's raining, and I might wear my oven mitts and/or be prepared to toss it far, far away from me also. And I doubt oven mitts would really protect me that much and I might not like, feel the heat, so okay maybe no oven mitts but an ice hockey's goalie mask or something. Etc.

Anna

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
For a ProVari 2.5 virtually any safer chemistry button top battery should work as most all are much more than double the 2.5's amp cutoff. I've used quite a variety including some cheap IMR rewraps and all have worked fine, with the lesser ones simply having shorter run times and/or lives.

I don't use ICR/protected batteries any longer and wouldn't recommend them myself. I used them in my early days when they were common and my style is low amperage so they would still work, but I have enough batteries to eliminate the additional risk they pose.

For a P3, I expect it's advanced battery tests will likely stop it from working with an ICR battery. There's not really any harm in putting it in to find out if the bare mod turns on and see what it tells you. As the P3 has a higher amp limit it's not advisable to vape IMO, even if it works.

Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Okay so I tried my Samsung protected bottom top 25 in my p3 Stealth and no dice. It was too wide to fit. Forcing it felt like a very bad idea. With trepidation, I tried it in one of my Procyons and it was all quite FINE, except that I can't screw on the battery top completely. I know it's foam and all, but it just seemed like a bad idea to do it. It's vaping fine, although I am feeling a bit OCD on like, the unfortunate tiny little gap that is left between the endcap and the rest of the mod.

I bet I COULD squeeze it but I refuse to do that Home Alone and it still seems like a bad idea.

It is vaping fine. I will be inspecting it carefully and also not walking far from my vape station, and I wish AW would COME BACK, but yes, it works. Etc. It's just all that extra wrap and foam and insulation and etc.

Anna

Reactions: Mysteron

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
So I accidentally bought some protected button top Samsungs and are you all saying they will work in a provari ...

I will wait for a definitive answer...
Okay so I tried my Samsung protected bottom top 25 in my p3 Stealth and no dice. It was too wide to fit. Forcing it felt like a very bad idea. With trepidation, I tried it in one of my Procyons and it was all quite FINE...It's vaping fine...
Length and diameter not in the equation...as I said earlier a protected battery may or may not work in a Provari. Since they appear to be working fine, the protection circuits in the Provari and the battery do not seem to be in conflict with each other. No problem from a safey perspective in my opinion, it will either work or not.

What is most important and the main point that I was attempting to make earlier, IMHO, is that the Samsung 25R battery has the amp rating appropriate for the Procyon (its considered to be a high drain battery -- 20 amp cdr). If you tried to use a high capacity ICR (not high drain) battery with just 4 amp CDR and 3400mah, your Procyon would complain that the battery didn't have enough amps.

Last edited:
  • Informative

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I have a long and probably fruitless rationale for that, and probably it was based on misinformation and whatever, but the fact remains I LIKE the long AW button tops in there and I actually secretly think that like, the P3 and Procyons WANT them and the first time I tried to stuff a flat top in a Procyon I was all freaked at how much pressure was needed and so I PM'd a person and (whether correct or no) she said you should use button tops ALL EXCEPT for the Radiuses.

So I got button tops, and then wound up accidentally like buying some protected button tops and it's not like I even CAN use them in my other mods quite frankly because I KNOW that will be bad, and like so far the button tops work JUST as well and I hate to waste them. I mean.... they're really totally fine.

So that would be why, although my OCD is having a hard time with the Samsung endcap, my inner hoarder is like, "You are doing the right thing." Etc.

Anna

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
Actually using a button top in the P3 & Procyon can put undue pressure on the electric components/board causing them to be pushed out of place.
This leads to devices that show a false /flaky weak battery error up to dislodging the board rendering them inoperable until sent in for repair.

I inadvertently attempted to install a button top in a Radius, the force required to make the bottom cap contact the body was enough to realize my mistake before I even attempted to thread in one base screw.

Forcing almost anything in vaping is generally a bad idea, especially when it comes to batteries & electrical connections.

Use your button tops in devices that require them, or buy a flashlight that can use them.

Batteries are cheap compared to causing damage to and paying to repair high quality devices. The Provari whisperer isn't going to be in business forever or much longer, if he hasn't already retired.
Purposely damaging a device because you feel a need to use the wrong cells doesn't seem like a rational idea, to me.

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Purposely damaging a device because you feel a need to use the wrong cells doesn't seem like a rational idea, to me.

MIND BLOWN.

Hmm... not so rational no. Good thing I have quite a few flat tops laying around OHH man, I'm gonna.

Okay I have returned and like, all flat tops are now in my Procyons I don't want them to DIE.

If anything well, it may motivate me to set up a few 2.5s with like, extension caps. I mean, I MUST do something with those batteries, but I'm gonna think about my Luck so Far and just not worry. Etc.

Anna

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
I can't say how your P2.5's will react, mine go all flaky, glitchy, random unexplained funkiness when I accidentally install a protected cell.

Protected cells really don't have a place in vaping anymore, years ago before regulated & protected power devices, yes, even in the very first crude regulated devices with protection circuitry, nope.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Nah, I'm talking about the AW button tops I have that aren't protected. I can give the samsungs to the husband for flashlights he has this ungodly obsession with them and whatnot. And not for vaping. I'm pretty much night blind so I don't need like, bright lights confusing the rest of my senses like hearing. LOL.

Anna

Reactions: 440BB

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
For a ProVari 2.5 virtually any safer chemistry button top battery should work as most all are much more than double the 2.5's amp cutoff. .
It's been years, but I thought only the p1 was 2.5 amps and after that went to 3.5, then higher on the p3?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
It's been years, but I thought only the p1 was 2.5 amps and after that went to 3.5, then higher on the p3?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
If I remember right, the P3 is XXXamps...and ProVape sold protected cells in the early days, and even sold a clear plastic spacer to fill the gap that was caused by the extra length caused by the "protection" circuit added to those cells... Just sayin' is all...

Edit, I didn't remember correctly, the P3 had 6.5 amp limit, it was the "Classic" that had a 4.5 amp limit.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
If I remember right...ProVape sold protected cells in the early days.
Yes, they sold a protected cell (might have even been a Trustfire) on their website despite stating that every battery device they made/sold must use an unprotected high drain "IMR" battery.

On the old Provape subforum on ECF, they had a sticky thread titled, "Why high drain batteries?" which the tech people at Provape explained why to use only unprotected high drain batteries and NOT protected high capacity batteries.

I personally wrote to Provape asking why they were even selling protected ICR batteries on their website, and within a couple of weeks they were removed from the website. ;)

Last edited:

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
I got the Samsung batteries yesterday, good news is they work fine in a Provari 2.5. Even though I only got 2 batteries they sent a free flashlight with them. It has a holder for 3 AAA batteries, and a plastic tube so you can use an 18650.

In the photo you can see the large white washer on the top with a small hole for the button. Over the washer is the clear wrap. It holds the washer in place. Don't know if it has any role in holding the button in place, which they implied it did in the description.

My only worry about these is that the clear wrap seems very thin and fragile. Just from one run in the charger the wrap is scratched and slightly pulled up in one place on the top over the washer. Couldn't get that to show up in a picture though. Guess it's going to take careful handling. And it's still quite loose in the Provari so if it gets worse I guess I could take the clear wrap off and replace it with something tougher.

IMG_0220.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread