Need new nicotine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puffcat

ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2013
Mesa, AZ
Been DIY'ing mostly Hangsen tobacco flavors for about 2 years. Been using MFS nicotine for the last year and it definitely does have a "pepperiness" to it. Is there a nicotine out there that still has some throat hit while eliminating that "pepperiness" ? I tried mixing up a couple flavors with 0 nic and while they tasted a little better, I cannot live without the throat hit. Seems all the better quality nics have no throat from what I have read.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Been DIY'ing mostly Hangsen tobacco flavors for about 2 years. Been using MFS nicotine for the last year and it definitely does have a "pepperiness" to it. Is there a nicotine out there that still has some throat hit while eliminating that "pepperiness" ? I tried mixing up a couple flavors with 0 nic and while they tasted a little better, I cannot live without the throat hit. Seems all the better quality nics have no throat from what I have read.
This is not precisely true. Purer nicotine’s can have less pronounced pepperiness, but that pepperiness is literally the taste of the nicotine so there is a limit. There are nicotine salt based diy materials which vary widely in throat hit according to brand. I cannot speak to whether they are more or less peppery. One possibility is to use a high throat hit nicotine salt with a high PG ratio. This would maximize throat hit while minimizing the amount of nicotine and thus the nicotine flavor.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
I am, personally, not a fan of throat hit. So, I am not an ideal candidate, for making recommendations. I have also not used MFS nic, so I can't offer a comparison.

With that disclaimer; one of the first nics I bought on line, was from Wizard Labs. It did have more of a noticeable throat hit... though I would not describe it as even remotely extreme (compared to Heartland Vapes, and RTS{now Nicotine Giant}). It was just their basic line... I'm not sure who the manufacturer is/was. They have since (it was at least 3+ years ago) added additional lines and options. But, they may be worth at least trying a sample size.

The other thing, that might be worthy of exploring (at least with nic concentrates that don't have enough TH), for you is; controlled oxidizing. A limited exposure to air (thus aiding oxidation) can intensify the perception of throat hit. Too much, and it can start to bring out the natural flavors... and pepperiness, of the nicotine. So, I imagine there is some line between enough and too much, based entirely on personal preference.

If you choose to explore this methodology; I would strongly encourage doing it with just 5-10mLs of nicotine concentrate at a time. Just enough to mix up a small test batch of a very familiar (to you) recipe, so you can evaluate if this is worth further study.

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
I used to use that same nicotine for a few years when I started diy. I didn’t mind the pepperiness because I was making tobacco juices so it worked. I switched for a better price and ability to buy nicotine and flavorings at the same place in order to cut down on shipping cost and MFS didn’t sell the flavorings and in the bigger sizes I wanted.
I now get my supplies from Nicotine River and the prices are great as is the nicotine. I’ve used the brand they used to sell before the started offering a few different brands. I don’t think they sell that brand anymore (can’t remember the name) but I have used the Chemnovatic and it is very clean, no pepperiness. I’d bet the other brands are equally is good also, at least I haven’t heard any complaints. As a bonus if you can wait a few days to order Nicotine River is having a sitewide sale starting December 28th—31st. They have some flavorings on sale now until the 27th and offer free shipping on orders over $50. I hope this was helpful and good luck on finding nicotine that’s to your liking.

• Useful
Reactions: Letitia

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
My experience early on in DIY was that MFS nicotine was quite peppery. Pepperyness and throat hit are not 1:1 matters as far as I can tell. It seemed like a very long tunnel getting through that 500 ml bottle.

As well per @bombastinator, "One possibility is to use a high throat hit nicotine salt with a high PG ratio. This would maximize throat hit while minimizing the amount of nicotine and thus the nicotine flavor" ...is opposite my undertanding of Nic Salts. From what I have read the goal of using Nic Salts is to get more of the physicalogial effects of nicotine (other than throat hit) while not suffereing excessive TH. Pardon me if I am in error as I am just on the sidelines of that matter. But, yes, high PG will provide more TH than will high VG.

The nicotine base I am currently vaping gets fairly peppery by the end of the day for me. In this case it is pretty much a cumulative situation. I think my next, in the freezer may be a bit milder...different brand.

Reactions: Letitia

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
My experience early on in DIY was that MFS nicotine was quite peppery. Pepperyness and throat hit are not 1:1 matters as far as I can tell. It seemed like a very long tunnel getting through that 500 ml bottle.

As well per @bombastinator, "One possibility is to use a high throat hit nicotine salt with a high PG ratio. This would maximize throat hit while minimizing the amount of nicotine and thus the nicotine flavor" ...is opposite my undertanding of Nic Salts. From what I have read the goal of using Nic Salts is to get more of the physicalogial effects of nicotine (other than throat hit) while not suffereing excessive TH. Pardon me if I am in error as I am just on the sidelines of that matter. But, yes, high PG will provide more TH than will high VG.

The nicotine base I am currently vaping gets fairly peppery by the end of the day for me. In this case it is pretty much a cumulative situation. I think my next, in the freezer may be a bit milder...different brand.
Higher nicotine % without the Harsh TH is one of the properties of nicotine salts but they also make hit nicotine salts which leaves some of the TH in. So the TH is variable with nicotine salts but reducing TH was one of the properties that was marketable for pods in the beginning. It is also absorbed better and more stable thus lasts longer than freebase.

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
Vapers Tek has a specific throat hit nic. I haven't tried it, don't particularly like throat hit, but there are reviews around here someplace. (I believe it is also ChemNovatic nic).
Liquid Nicotine - Throat-Hit Nicotine - 1000 mL - Vapers Tek

Vapers Tek Throat Hit is about the same as other brands at the same concentration. Their non-TH blend, for lack of a better term, is on the low side of TH per concentration. Vapers Tek TH is the nicotine I'm currently using.

If one is looking for a very clean nic base while maintaining TH, few may be better than Xtreme Vaping's nic base. It does, however come at a bit of a premium price.

Edit: In looking just now, I notice XV nicotine base is currently showing as 'on sale.'

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA

My understanding is that salts can be gotten in different formulations most of which reduce throat hit but a few of which actually increase it.

• Informative
Reactions: Cool_Breeze

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I've used MFS nic more than others. It's been to my liking and I prefer mild throat hit and very little to no peppery taste. When I quit in 2010 I was smoking Merit and Merit Ultra lights. Those are way down in throat hit from the Red Marlboro I once smoked.

Nicotine River isn't that much different from the nic bases I've tried, but it was clear with a very pale yellow tint ... pretty much the average for the few brands of nic I'd tried. I'd have to vape NR and MFS side by side unflavored to offer a more accurate opinion.

I'd like to see a side by side comparison of various nics by someone who has the taste buds to offer an accurate and unbiased opinion. Some like throat hit and others like milder nic. I'm on the mild side. If I want throat hit I can create that with various tobacco flavorings in different flavor percentages.

Last edited:

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
I mentioned Xtreme Vaping a few posts back. I've spent very little this year on anything e-cig. 10 Blu e-cigs at $1 a piece. A bottle of VG... A pair of batteries.

Christmas evening, I thought I'd treat myself. I ordered 125 ml of Xtreme in VG @ 36mg. $10.10 via 1st Class. I'll vape it straight up as 36 mg/ml is my usual. I hoping it will last more than 2 months.

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
Peppery taste may be somewhat influenced by that quantity of nic consumed. While by ml, I don't consume that much, but I do vape currently at 36 mg/ml. That may be a factor in why I might detect pepperines and others don't. As well, my experience with MFS was several years ago.

PS It seems there are few vendors offering WTA.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Any other Nude Nicotine users out there agree that it has a throat hit without a peppery taste?

Hmm... I'm a big NN fan and have been using their nic for years. No peppery taste whatsoever. As for the TH, I'm not sure. I vape at 12-16 mg/ml and can't really tell. They have different formulations so get some samples and see how you like them.

There are other ways to add TH to your vape, like a bit of peppermint, or a drop of alcohol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread