Status
Not open for further replies.

Blaze

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2010
Kentucky
I need a reco for a good, easy to learn, and free editing program to edit vid, add a vid intro, add music, basically add anything to "spice up" my reviews (As good as they may be, they are a bit "plain jane").

Also, if anyone knows of any vendors (maybe "smaller" vendors or ones that are just getting started) that would like reviews of their products, let me know, or let them know about the review thread. I posted in the supplier forum, but I think I'm falling on deaf ears :( (apparently no one likes free advertising/promotion anymore)

candre23

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2010
NJ
chipandre.com
Adobe makes Premier - one of the best semi-pro NLE editing suites out there. Unfortunately, it is neither cheap or easy to learn.

Much as it pains me to say it, Windows Movie Maker is probably your best bet (assuming you're using Windows). It's free, easy, and it will do everything you want to do. Here's a fairly complete tutorial on using it:
YouTube - Movie Maker Video Editing Tutorial

The software is only half the issue though. If you want to make a good video, you have to shoot good video. That means proper lighting, camera placement, and sound recording. These factors are almost always ignored by youtubers, and the lack of production effort shows. You should have two or more lights pointed directly at you to avoid shadows. The camera should be on a tripod and manually focused on your position (if possible). Most cameras have a crummy built-in mic. Consider investing in a decent lavalier mic to clip to your shirt. Failing that, at least run a background noise cancellation filter on your footage after editing to kill mic and room noise. You can do this with free software like Audacity. While you're at it, check the levels and raise or lower them to get them in the proper range.

Choose your backdrop carefully. As much as we like to see your kitchen in the background, it is a bit distracting and unprofessional. Don't hold stuff up to the camera like you did in the provape review. The camera has to refocus, and that looks sloppy. Instead, shoot closeups of the items you want to show separately and edit those clips into the video later. Script your reviews before you shoot them. You don't have to read from the script verbatim, but try to practice it ahead of time so you know what you want to say and can avoid the "ahs" and "ums". You don't have to look directly into the camera all the time, but you should make eye contact as much as possible.

You should always be as energetic as you can - whether you did or didn't like the product in question, it should be obvious from your facial and verbal expressions (you just seemed nervous and bored in the provape review). And most importantly, don't say in ten words what you can say in five. Keep it short, and don't repeat anything except perhaps in a final "in conclusion" statement. Just because youtube has a 10min limit, don't feel you have to fill it. You can do a thorough review in 3 min that will have a lot more impact than an 8 min review that says the same things, only slower. The first 20 sec is the most important part of the review, because that's all most viewers will watch. The more engaging you are in the opening segment, the higher the chance that a viewer will keep watching. Keep your title sequence to under 4 sec. and get right to the good stuff.

I did some part-time radio and TV production work a while back, so if you have any specific questions, just ask.

Last edited:

Blaze

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2010
Kentucky
Adobe makes Premier - one of the best semi-pro NLE editing suites out there. Unfortunately, it is neither cheap or easy to learn.

Much as it pains me to say it, Windows Movie Maker is probably your best bet (assuming you're using Windows). It's free, easy, and it will do everything you want to do. Here's a fairly complete tutorial on using it:
YouTube - Movie Maker Video Editing Tutorial

The software is only half the issue though. If you want to make a good video, you have to shoot good video. That means proper lighting, camera placement, and sound recording. These factors are almost always ignored by youtubers, and the lack of production effort shows. You should have two or more lights pointed directly at you to avoid shadows. The camera should be on a tripod and manually focused on your position (if possible). Most cameras have a crummy built-in mic. Consider investing in a decent lavalier mic to clip to your shirt. Failing that, at least run a background noise cancellation filter on your footage after editing to kill mic and room noise. You can do this with free software like Audacity. While you're at it, check the levels and raise or lower them to get them in the proper range.

Choose your backdrop carefully. As much as we like to see your kitchen in the background, it is a bit distracting and unprofessional. Don't hold stuff up to the camera like you did in the provape review. The camera has to refocus, and that looks sloppy. Instead, shoot closeups of the items you want to show separately and edit those clips into the video later. Script your reviews before you shoot them. You don't have to read from the script verbatim, but try to practice it ahead of time so you know what you want to say and can avoid the "ahs" and "ums". You don't have to look directly into the camera all the time, but you should make eye contact as much as possible.

You should always be as energetic as you can - whether you did or didn't like the product in question, it should be obvious from your facial and verbal expressions (you just seemed nervous and bored in the provape review). And most importantly, don't say in ten words what you can say in five. Keep it short, and don't repeat anything except perhaps in a final "in conclusion" statement. Just because youtube has a 10min limit, don't feel you have to fill it. You can do a thorough review in 3 min that will have a lot more impact than an 8 min review that says the same things, only slower. The first 20 sec is the most important part of the review, because that's all most viewers will watch. The more engaging you are in the opening segment, the higher the chance that a viewer will keep watching. Keep your title sequence to under 4 sec. and get right to the good stuff.

I did some part-time radio and TV production work a while back, so if you have any specific questions, just ask.

Good Lord, all the suggestions, and none of I would have probably ever thought of. Location is a bit fixed for me at the moment, although I've considered having my cam setting on the desk instead of mounted on the monitor. You get more ceiling (which at first I didn't think fit) and it's a bit more "upward shot", but I'm starting to think this would be a better angle, at least for now. At least I wouldn't have to clean house before shooting a review vid LOL ;) Although, I thought the quality of the vid and sound (as in equipment) was very good. But that might just be me wanting to believe it since it was a $60 cam.

I wasn't bored in the Provape vid, but I was nervous as all get out (first vid review :)). I actually shot that vid a total of 6 times before I got one that I liked, then had to re-shoot because it went over time. I had considered doing short 3-5 min reviews, but to me that seemed to short. However, like you said, most won't get that far into it (I usually don't unless it's really entertaining), and I hadn't taken that into account.

Amajin also suggested the Windows Movie maker, and I'm currently playing around with it (I really just want something to lead into the vid with maybe a bit of music, but nothing real flashy)

I'm all for all the suggestions, tips, and tricks anyone can offer. I want them to be entertaining as well as informative. After all, the only reason I do this is for the community. If you all aren't enjoying them, then I don't enjoy myself when I do them. And I consider that a big fail all around ;)

candre23

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2010
NJ
chipandre.com
do you mean she makes e-liquid? or just sells the flavors? cus Ive bought some flavorings from her.
Good point. PA just makes flavorings. That's kinda hard to review, because the quality of the juice you make with it is going to depend on a lot of other factors. Maybe reviews should be limited to pre-made liquid?

MacArthurBug

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Good point. PA just makes flavorings. That's kinda hard to review, because the quality of the juice you make with it is going to depend on a lot of other factors. Maybe reviews should be limited to pre-made liquid?

Ah yes there is that. Ok sorry! I just got so excited about discovering such good flavorings.

Blaze

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2010
Kentucky

There's potential to this. I can't tell you how many flavorings I've given away/PIF'd/simply thrown out because it tastes nothing like it should.

BTW candre, love the avatar....and I thought I was the only that remembered Voltron :) (apparently there's talk of a movie :D)

ndfourleafclover

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 10, 2009
Indianapolis, IN
Does it? I have a copy of PS, but I've never used it LOL

No Photoshop doesn't have any video editing capabilities. But even if it did you wouldn't want to use it for that. That would be like using Microsoft Word to draw a picture. Probably the simplest video editing software you can get would be windows movie maker. For making the intro you could use Adobe After Effects or Adobe Flash and export is as a movie file.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread