Need some help here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daveyduck

Oct 12, 2013
New jersey
Hello to all! I'm Dave, 32 years old, have been smoking cigarettes since I was 17. I've wanted to quit for obvious reasons, but call me weak, because after a day or two I go absolutely nuts for a cigarette. I'm trying to quit, again, but this time I'm trying to do it using these electronic cigarettes. I figure it's got to be so much less harmful than smoking real cigarettes, and if I can break away from smoking the real thing, then I could eventually break away from e-cigs too.

So I haven't smoked a cigarette in 5 days. On day 3 I was going ballistic for a smoke and I needed something, anything, to make me not go nuts. So I went to my local Walgreens and bought a blu e-cig kit. So far, I'm getting just enough relief with this to keep me from buying a pack of cigarettes. The problem is, I feel like I'm trying to suck a golf ball through a garden hose with this damn thing, and honestly it's giving my lungs one hell of a workout trying to pull enough vapor to satisfy. When I smoked, I didn't have to pull so hard on the filter to get a satisfying drag from my cigarette, but I feel like I'm working twice as hard to get the same satisfaction with this thing.

I'm not looking to become crazy about sucking vapor and I don't want gadgets or exotic flavors. I'm using this to keep me from gouging someone's eyeballs out for a cigarette LOL! So what vapor device kit can I buy that will give me more of a hit with less effort? If I keep having to pull on this thing this hard I'll probably throw it away and get a pack of cigarettes.

So I need a complete kit and menthol flavor. Any suggestions?

Bill's Magic Vapor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2013
USA
Most recommended kit on the Forum since I've been a member:

http://www.myvaporstore.com/Vision_Spinner_Joye_Ego_C_Twist_Combo_p/vvs-c.htm

Get some ejuices in 18, 24, and a bit in 36 mg/ml. Whatever flavor you want to try may work. Sampler packs and visiting the nearest B&M juice bar for juice is important. With enough nicotine, and a good enough setup you'll be able to power through those cravings, possibly easier than you think. I have yet to meet a heavier smoker than I was, and I stopped smoking on a dime with a good setup and strong juice, stronger the first two weeks. Good luck, YOU CAN DO IT!

Obi Wan Vapori

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2013
Saco,ME,USA

Get some ejuices in 18, 24, and a bit in 36 mg/ml. Whatever flavor you want to try may work. Sampler packs and visiting the nearest B&M juice bar for juice is important. With enough nicotine, and a good enough setup you'll be able to power through those cravings, possibly easier than you think. I have yet to meet a heavier smoker than I was, and I stopped smoking on a dime with a good setup and strong juice, stronger the first two weeks. Good luck, YOU CAN DO IT!

Good advice. Actually just about anything above a Blu type e-cig (cig alikes most folks call them) will work wonders for you. Personally I think Blu's taste like your vaping 2 year old dirty pack boot socks.

I started with an EVOD.

DKP#

ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2012
Missouri, USA
I'd recommend a couple of VV(variable voltage batteries), like the ego twist or vision spinner
I haven't tried a lot of atomizers but I'm quite happy with the Vision vivi nova mini from altsmoke. It's fairly sturdy and hits good.

If you don't want to invest that much, I believe the nano will work with you're blu batteries (510 thread). I haven't tried the blu, but I like these, they hit well on my ego fixed battery even when its low.
Nano Clearomizer - 510 Thread - AltSmoke

RedNBlack

ECF Veteran
Aug 18, 2013
NE Georgia USA

Welcome to the ECF, best advice for a quick, no muss start.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I was pretty much in the same situation you are in. i didnt want to get too crazy with e ciggs and just wanted something simple and reliable. i did some searching and bought an ego-cc from joyetech, its been really awesome. i picked mine up from a site called cignot you should check it out https://www.cignot.com/product_p/egc-ck1-all.htm

RubyRoo

ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2013
Colorado Springs, CO
VG is vegetable glycerin and PG is propylene glycol. VG contributes largely to vapor production and PG contributes to throat hit and flavor-carrying. I'd really recommend an eGo sized battery and a decent tank with a stronger nic level if you are really fighting the cravings. There is a ton of info in the InfoZone button at the top of the page. Browse around there and you'll get lots of helpful data. You CAN quit smoking with an ecig and it will help your life greatly. It's a pretty amazing thing to put cigarettes behind you. Very freeing. :)

Saltraker

ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2013
Hannibal, Missouri
Daveyduck...don't be embarrassed if you're using a PV setup to cut down or quit the cigs. But...you can get a smaller eGo Twist (like 650 mah), along with something like a CE4 or, even better, a Kanger mini Protank. That way, you'll be carrying a low profile setup that will easily fit in a pocket or such. Once you are used to vaping, I'm sure you're gonna want something more, but this was a great setup for me and worked well. Then came the spending spree....:laugh:

kittybite

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2013
Portland, OR
Welcome, Daveyduck! I started my vaping journey with a Blu and then moved onto a G6 kit from Halo (halocigs.com). While I understand the need for a cigalike (the term used for ecigs that look similar to regular cigs), the reason you might want to go with an eGo setup is that they are superior in terms of battery life and attachment options (cartos, tanks, etc); the experience is much better with a bigger battery and tanks. With that said, go with what works for you! If you want a cigalike, Halo is a good one-stop-shop that makes it easy for noobs (you may also consider the Volt from Smokeless Image). I knew I didn't want anything but a cigalike when I started vaping...until I realized how awesome vaping was - and now I've got an Itaste MVP 2 (and loving it!). Start where you're comfortable and then come back to ECF for advice when you're ready for the next step. Good luck - you can do it!

Obi Wan Vapori

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2013
Saco,ME,USA
http://www.vaporbeast.com/Kanger-Evod-Full-Kit-p/35-0212-000.htm

What I started with. Not saying you should buy it here. You need to shop around. Might find an even better deal someplace else. You will quickly find the challenge is not the equipment but finding a juice you like. I started with tobacco flavors and dropped them almost immediately. Way better tasting stuff out there.

Debra_oh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Cleveland, OH
I suggest reading the info and recommendations here and then go visit a local vape shop. You might spend a bit more buying from a B&M store but since you are in the throws of giving up cigs having a vape setup that works for you now is better than waiting on a delivery. Here is a link to some store in NJ (click on NJ). I think ECF has a listing of B&M stores but I could not find it. Maybe someone can post the link. Good Luck!!

Electric Cigarette|Eliquid|Supplies|Electronic Cigarette|Ejuice|Smokeless|Vapor Search USA

Congrats on getting off cigarettes!

When I switched to vaping a little more than 2 weeks ago, I snuck some cigs the first few days, but have been 12 days without a cigarette now.
I agree with what a lot of people said here. I going to go on a limb and say as a new vaper in the same boat - if you can, get yourself two newbie setups. Seems like an outlay I know and some people are going to say its unnecessary...but think how expensive packs of cigarettes are. The goal right now is to get to a place where you can get off them. (They are $13/pack where I am, and that as much as the health reasons was why I wanted to switch to vaping.)

My two newbie kits are the regular battery style (the "ego" style) and the cigarette look alike style. The bigger battery style is good to keep at home for before/after work tv watching and hanging out. A smaller cig lookalike kit is nice to have to bring to work and our to dinner/bars etc. The cig lookalike kit isn't going to give you as much satisfaction as the bigger setup. It will have less vapor and will feel not as strong (less "throat hit.") But to get through dinner or a couple pints or a smoke break at work they are totally fine.

got a fairly good deal on a standard "eGo"style battery with the refillable clearomizer (that's the see through thing that holds and heats up the ejuice.) People have linked a bunch above. Refilling it is easy. I drip the nicotine juice into it and I'm good to go. This gives me a ton of vapor, a ton of throat hit. Not exactly like smoking. But within a couple days i found it was muuuuch better than smoking. Didn't even like the taste of cigarettes after that. Be aware these set ups are kind of big and may freak you out if you think about ecigs as looking like cigs or being a cig replacement. Here's a pic of how it will look in your hand (not saying you should get this kit or use this vendor, just saying this is what it looks like.)
http://cdn101.iofferphoto.com/img3/...igarette-ego-ce4-leather-case-900mah-3e10.jpg

I find many people here don't really recommend the smaller cigarette lookalikes. Which is cool, they aren't as good as the bigger kind linked here and no one wants you to needlessly spend money. But I think these are a lot of the time what a newbie wants. Like me. I also got myself a smaller battery called a KR808D (people just call it the 808.) You can also get a battery called a 510 too. They are both minis. They are designed to work well with cartomizers. Cartomizers are basically the cartridges that look like the cigarette filter...you have them on the Blu ecig. They look basically like this in your hand.
http://www.free2light.com/images/E CIG IN HAND.PNG
(again, not saying you should want this one from this vendor, just a sample picture I got from google.) Here's a good overview of the pros and cons of each type..808 or 510. Really not a lot of difference but the threading of the screw on part.
510 vs KR808: Which Is the Best E-Cigarette | E-Cigarette Reviews and Rankings
I like these for work. They are small and discreet and most people at the smoking area can't tell I'm not smoking a cig. It feels a lot more like holding a cig. Lots of people trying to quit use them for the same reason I got one.
The cartomizers (filter looking cartridge) doesn't hold as much as the clearomizer (the clear part that holds the juice on the "ego" battery setup above) and doesn't give as much vapor or throat hit...but like I said the cartomizers are great at work. You can buy them pre-filled with juice, but I have found so far that getting the blank ones and filling it yourself with juice works out better and its cheaper. Even if you get the prefilled ones - you can always refill them after you use them up. Its easy to do! I just got a Halo G6 kit and really like it (just google it, its pretty popular.) I like their juices too, and they are supposedly famous for their menthols. But always hated menthols so I can't give you real advice there.

Like someone said, the next part is finding juices you like that help you quit. My advise is stick with the bigger vendors rather than the boutique vendors at the moment. You'll have a better shot at finding something more benign and less complex. Get only to something you can vape all day in place of tobacco. In a week or so maybe you'll want to start hunting flavors - but for now just find a replacement at the nicotine level you need.

Anyway...good luck! If you did 3 days cold turkey, you should be really happy to get into some nicotine replacements! And vaping is waaaaay better than gum or the inhaler. Believe me, I've tried them. Vaping so far is the only thing that's really worked for me.

Nothing wrong with the cigalikes for a newbie. I started with Green Smoke, 24mg nicotine, and they worked great for me. I still use them sometimes when I'm in public and don't want to be so conspicuous. Now, six months later, I love my variable voltage battery with a Kanger Evod for my juice. I can even rewick and recoil my Evods for pennies, thanks to what I've learned from ECF!

I know what you mean about needing the throat hit and such. May I ask if just maybe you are inhaling the ecigarette like a regular cigarette and expecting it to be too much like a regular cigarette? I didn't realize that I was using the ecig the wrong way when my Mother was trying to get me to switch. When I realized it later on it made a huge difference. The pull changed everything for me. Pulling the vapor into my mouth and then inhaling it rather than pulling it directly into my lungs (which made me feel like I was suffocating slowly) made all the difference. Now I pull it into my mouth while I'm exhaling through my nose, quickly inhale through my mouth with the ecig still pressed against my lips, then start pulling again with my mouth as I'm exhaling again through my nose. I do this several times for a bit and it gives me the good throat hit and helps the nicotine get into my system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread