Need some help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kapstack_

May 23, 2017
So I plan on buying a new mod which is regulated and a RTDA. The RTDA is iJoy Limitless RDTA PLUS and the mod is
VOOPOO DRAG 157W TC GENE CHIP BOX mod. My question is will these be safe together? I really don't know anything about RTDA'S and I don't want to get them if they won't work. How do I know what ohms to use to make, rebuild and etc?

Reactions: stols001

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Your mod is regulated and won't fire if you build too low. Use steam engine to help. Please don't ask me how to make use of that tool. There is a reason I buy my clapton coils and don't make my own. Just makes my head spin then my eyes cross and I have to take an aspirin.

Kapstack_

May 23, 2017
Your mod is regulated and won't fire if you build too low. Use steam engine to help. Please don't ask me how to make use of that tool. There is a reason I buy my clapton coils and don't make my own. Just makes my head spin then my eyes cross and I have to take an aspirin.
Lol. I will check it out. Thank you.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Do you just want a build that will work to start? There’s still some questions to answer. That atty has a velocity style deck, so you can do double or singl coil pretty easily. Which one do you want? Also what kind of wire do you got? If you haven’t bought wire yet do you want to TC or not?

Kapstack_

May 23, 2017
Do you just want a build that will work to start? There’s still some questions to answer. That atty has a velocity style deck, so you can do double or singl coil pretty easily. Which one do you want? Also what kind of wire do you got? If you haven’t bought wire yet do you want to TC or not?
Just a basic build. Sick of spending money on coils. No wire yet. No TC. I just use wattage and I would like to vape from 60-90 watts.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Just a basic build. Sick of spending money on coils. No wire yet. No TC. I just use wattage and I would like to vape from 60-90 watts.
Ok. 22g kanthal, 2 coils of 6 wraps on a 3mm jig should put you in the low to mid .2s ohm wise which should put it at around 60-70 while keeping you under 4v so you won’t have to worry too much about your cotton crusting out too fast.

Kapstack_

May 23, 2017
Ok. 22g kanthal, 2 coils of 6 wraps on a 3mm jig should put you in the low to mid .2s ohm wise which should put it at around 60-70 while keeping you under 4v so you won’t have to worry too much about your cotton crusting out too fast.
Okay thank you. I will probably wait and try to learn more before I jump in. Alot of this is confusing to me.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Okay thank you. I will probably wait and try to learn more before I jump in. Alot of this is confusing to me.
We’re here to teach. Let me say the same thing a different way.
There really isn’t much danger here. It’s not like you’re using a mech. Your mod literally won’t fire a coil it can’t fire safely. You get a short or something and it will just not work. The worst thing that can happen is you burn up a coil and have to make another for the monumental cost of 5 minutes and 5 cents worth of wire. Everybody screws up their first coil anyway. It’s no big deal. Remember back in the day there were only mechs and no drop in coils at all, and we’re all still alive.
Just get 22ga wire (pretty thick but not the thickest) and a coil jig. Wrap the wire six times around the part marked 3mm and cut it. Two of those will give you a rig that lasts 3 months or more as long as you change the cotton regularly. Start at 40w and see how you like it. Slowly ramp up the wattage till it starts to burn and then back off a little. Easy peasy. Remember it used to be that all

Have you ever used regular wrap coils or just the drop in kind?

jfcooley

I find your lack of faith disturbing...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2017
Charlottesville, Virginia
That's a good mod. Make sure you get good authentic batteries, 2 pair and a charger would be great. You can charge in mid, often would do at work. Really liked mine, you should enjoy it.

Can't add anything more to the great advice already given.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
That's a good mod. Make sure you get good authentic batteries, 2 pair and a charger would be great. You can charge in mid, often would do at work. Really liked mine, you should enjoy it.

Can't add anything more to the great advice already given.
:offtopic: Congrats on getting Therion squonk. Knew you'd been wanting it.

jfcooley

I find your lack of faith disturbing...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2017
Charlottesville, Virginia
697687253.gif
Thank you. I'm a bit happy :)

Kapstack_

May 23, 2017
We’re here to teach. Let me say the same thing a different way.
There really isn’t much danger here. It’s not like you’re using a mech. Your mod literally won’t fire a coil it can’t fire safely. You get a short or something and it will just not work. The worst thing that can happen is you burn up a coil and have to make another for the monumental cost of 5 minutes and 5 cents worth of wire. Everybody screws up their first coil anyway. It’s no big deal. Remember back in the day there were only mechs and no drop in coils at all, and we’re all still alive.
Just get 22ga wire (pretty thick but not the thickest) and a coil jig. Wrap the wire six times around the part marked 3mm and cut it. Two of those will give you a rig that lasts 3 months or more as long as you change the cotton regularly. Start at 40w and see how you like it. Slowly ramp up the wattage till it starts to burn and then back off a little. Easy peasy. Remember it used to be that all

Have you ever used regular wrap coils or just the drop in kind?
Thanks for the help. Really appreciate it. And I have always used drop in kinds.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Thanks for the help. Really appreciate it. And I have always used drop in kinds.

Then there’s one more thing you need to know: how to replace a wick. Here’s a somewhat ancient video from the aforementioned days of mech only but it’s still the same process

Kapstack_

May 23, 2017
Then there’s one more thing you need to know: how to replace a wick. Here’s a somewhat ancient video from the aforementioned days of mech only but it’s still the same process

I was watching some builds earlier. So basically to summarize since its a regulated mod I don't really have to worry about resistance because it won't fire if its not right. I will probably get the meter thing to and if I do I should build so that the ohms of the built coils are within the mods capabilities?

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I was watching some builds earlier. So basically to summarize since its a regulated mod I don't really have to worry about resistance because it won't fire if its not right. I will probably get the meter thing to and if I do I should build so that the resistance is within the mods capabilities?
Don’t even need it. Your mod will act as a meter. Just build the coil and hit the button. The mod will tell you what ohm the coil is. I have a coil meter but I don’t even use it any more.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I will say this, you can test your builds on a regulated mod, but an ohm's meter is useful for me as a stable base to build and wick on, I'm really glad I got one. I tend to have more trouble if I don't have a stable base for building on an it's nice to be able to test using an ohms meter, if not absolutely necessary.

You've gotten some great advice and tutorials, but I can attest that while it took me a while to start building coils successfully, I have never harmed my mod or atomizer in the process. If I'm doing it wrong, usually what happens is I short out on my ohms reader, and with leaks, I use my beater mod for testing as I don't care if it leaks all over it as much as some of my other mods. By all means do your due diligence, but also at some point jump in. The best way to learn about coil building is to do it, after a time. Oh, you may have some failures, but that's how you learn.

Good luck,

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread