Nervous Nelly Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlutterBlu

Verified Member
Nov 25, 2014
I hardly know where to begin . . . do not remember exactly how I found ECF, but that's not important, I did find it!

Started smoking cigarettes when I was about 15, but like a pack a year (if that much). Ya know, "teenager experimenting, trying to look cool, and be like everyone else" kinda stuff. Going to college as a then single and brand-new mother made me pretty nervous, so for a few years I smoked about a pack a week (if I smoked at all). By the time I was 25, I started smoking on a more regular basis (maybe 1/2 pack per day), and by the time I was about 34, was up to just about a pack a day.

At that point, I went to the doctor and was OK'ed to use medication to quit smoking (don't remember the name of the stuff). It sill took a decent bit of willpower on my part, but by the time I was 35, I was cigarette-free. Without going into a lot of personal details as to all the circumstances, started smoking regularly again a little over a year after that.

Fast forward, now we are here, 14 years later . . . I make cigarettes each day for my husband and myself (switched to DIY about 10 years ago), and I smoke an average of 28 cigs per day (sometimes more like 33 or 34). I don't like the way I feel, and even though I make ours, I know they aren't any better than "store-bought/ready-made" cigs. For me, I also know it is more the habit itself, and not necessarily the nicotine . . . my husband had surgery 4 years ago, and I stayed with him each day for several weeks from about 6am to 7pm, so no smoking practically all day and I had no issues with that. I would just have a cig, maybe 2, on the hour drive to the hospital, and sometimes a couple of cigs after I got home and before getting some sleep. Some days, I didn't have any cigs at all.

Anywho, I want off the cigs. I found the forums here, specifically the sub-forum for the Halo e-cigs. It helped me make a decision, and tomorrow I should be receiving the order for my new G6 Starter Kit and Gourmet Sample Pack of liquid!

I have never vaped before. And I have just been lurking/reading around here for a couple of days now, so thought I should bite the bullet and say hello. :blush:

nyiddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
USA. State: Inebriated.
I have never vaped before. And I have just been lurking/reading around here for a couple of days now, so thought I should bite the bullet and say hello. :blush:

Howdy, no reason to be nervous. We don't bite (often).

Looks like you got a nice lil starter kit, I'm fairly certain you'll be happy with your purchase, and if you have any questions or concerns or anything this is definitely the place to ask. It's kind of interesting, a lot of the people I knew who RYO (roll yer own) assume that the risks are lessened by the fact that they're not buying brand-name "Marlboro" or whatever cigarettes. Glad to see someone who isn't fooling themselves.

Anyway, welcome to ECF. You'll enjoy your stay, I'm sure.

Madcuzbad87

Oct 28, 2014
NJ
Welcome to the Community! I'm new myself, but there are tons of helpful people here. Lots of Vets here that are more then willing to help you learn and keep you safe (to the best of their abilities). The initial plunge into the vaping world can be a bit overwhelming for some, as well as a bit pricey. You might find your new kit to be good for you at first but might need something a bit more powerful. I started with a Vision Spinner with a Kanger Pro Tank Mini 3. After 1-2 weeks I needed something that could pump out more vapor, so I invested in an Innokin MVP 2 with a Nautilus Mini. My main issue with quitting "stinkies" was the smoke. I loved to blow O's and make giant smoke clouds. So once I moved to my MVP 2, I was in love with the amount of vapor I could produce.

And as it is with most things it started to become my hobby as well, and I just jumped into the deepend and bought myself a more advanced setup. It's all about being safe, and as time passes it might become a hobby for you as well. My biggest suggestion for you as a new vaper is finding good juice. It's one of the most important things to keep you from going back to analogs. I suggest trying out Mt. Baker Vapor. I have ordered lots of different juices from a lot of places, but this is my go to juice place. Lots of flavors, lots of mixing options, and they are inexpensive with high quality product. If you have any questions withe the juice options or anything in general I'll try my best to help or point you in the right direction. Good Luck!

FlutterBlu

Verified Member
Nov 25, 2014
Thank you so much everyone, I really do appreciate it! <3

If it takes me a while to answer or if I seem rather quiet, please know that is just how I am. I tend to be a rather quiet individual. Also, my husband is older than I am (64) and is not in the best of shape. He has greatly diminished mobility (uses a walker, at an extremely slow pace), so I have to take care of every aspect of our day-to-day living. That means I will most likely always be "in-and-out".

nyiddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
USA. State: Inebriated.
Thank you so much everyone, I really do appreciate it! <3

If it takes me a while to answer or if I seem rather quiet, please know that is just how I am. I tend to be a rather quiet individual. Also, my husband is older than I am (64) and is not in the best of shape. He has greatly diminished mobility (uses a walker, at an extremely slow pace), so I have to take care of every aspect of our day-to-day living. That means I will most likely always be "in-and-out".

When you signed up to this forum, you actually obligated to make at least 100 posts per day..

No, I kid. Most people pop in and out, after I first signed up I disappeared for a few months before returning. No harm done, real life takes priority over Internet friends.

FlutterBlu

Verified Member
Nov 25, 2014
lol! Sorry nyiddle, I'm one of those crazy people that actually read instructions, rules, and such stuff. XD

Don't think I'll disappear for quite that long though. I assume I'll have questions after my kit arrives and I actually get to start vaping, that I won't necessarily be able to find the answers for just by searching and reading through the forum.

What I am SO hoping to do, is get my husband to start vaping and off the cigs! :D He is a retired 1st Sergeant (Army, 24 years), and has been a regular smoker for about 30 some-odd years (with only a one-time 5 year break in there somewhere).

Jode

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2014
Seabrook, NH, USA
lol! Sorry nyiddle, I'm one of those crazy people that actually read instructions, rules, and such stuff. XD

Don't think I'll disappear for quite that long though. I assume I'll have questions after my kit arrives and I actually get to start vaping, that I won't necessarily be able to find the answers for just by searching and reading through the forum.

What I am SO hoping to do, is get my husband to start vaping and off the cigs! :D He is a retired 1st Sergeant (Army, 24 years), and has been a regular smoker for about 30 some-odd years (with only a one-time 5 year break in there somewhere).

First of all a big big welcome. Go at your own pace, pop in and ask anything you want. Trust me...these are fine folks here, you will get plenty of answers to almost any question. Do not be afraid to ask. I have found this home (ECF) to literally be a life saver for me. In the beginning I had tons of questions and I was always met with patient answers and kind thoughts. Even when it was not a question but looking for support I turned here and found what I needed. I hope you find the same and I am so pleased that we have a new family member. As for encouraging your husband? Go slow with it. Let him come to his own realization. Share with him your story as you discover this new world and new found health benefits. I did this with my husband and although he still has a cig now and then he is mostly vaping and I could not be prouder of him. We all need to find our own path. Since I started vaping (quit cigs same day) not long ago (3 1/2 month) my husband, daughter, her fiancée and my best friend have all jumped on my bandwagon. I did not push, just let them see my excitement.

Welcome once again and remember....when ever you can pop in, there will always be an open comfy chair waiting just for you. :toast:

RandyF

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Arizona
Your story sounds like someone that can more easily (don't mistake that for simply easy) make the switch to ecigs. Most regular smokers could not go hours, much less a day, without an analog. Get your husband into it, have him read here on the forum about what is possible with rebuildables. From what you said regarding his limited mobility, picking up vaping might me a hobby (something this turns into for a lot of us) he would enjoy. Good luck and keep us updated.

Mrs C

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2013
Indiana
Welcome FlutterBlu :) No need to be nervous, there are lot's of friendly helpful folks around here.
If you haven't found it yet here is a link to the Halo section on the forum Halo for you.
I don't use Halo equipment but if you like peppermint candy do check out Kringles Kurse flavor in the halo line. It's a pretty bold flavor but it's yummy.

FlutterBlu

Verified Member
Nov 25, 2014
Thank you very much Jode and RandyF! <3

Yep, it's one of the things I noticed right away and helped me make the jump to actually joining, that everyone here seems most willing to help others along. I tend to be a lurker/reader, but I have the feeling that I will be a fairly regular poster too. =^.^=

Those were some of my thoughts too, RandyF ...surely my "addiction" to smokes is tied more-so to just the habit itself rather than the nicotine, if I could go almost the entire day without those analogs and without too much thought of finding a way to sneak one in and/or having some sort of "nicotine fit".

RandyF

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Arizona
Thank you very much Jode and RandyF! <3

Yep, it's one of the things I noticed right away and helped me make the jump to actually joining, that everyone here seems most willing to help others along. I tend to be a lurker/reader, but I have the feeling that I will be a fairly regular poster too. =^.^=

Those were some of my thoughts too, RandyF ...surely my "addiction" to smokes is tied more-so to just the habit itself rather than the nicotine, if I could go almost the entire day without those analogs and without too much thought of finding a way to sneak one in and/or having some sort of "nicotine fit".

I have said in threads similar to this one, for me, I was addicted to the action of smoking as much as the addiction to nicotine. I could power through the nic withdrawals no problem, but the constant reminder that my hands gave me that I wasn't using them to smoke, I couldn't/can't see that ever going away. That is why vaping works for me as well as it has, I get all the "needs" I had from smoking and none of the things I hated.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I hardly know where to begin . . . do not remember exactly how I found ECF, but that's not important, I did find it!

Started smoking cigarettes when I was about 15, but like a pack a year (if that much). Ya know, "teenager experimenting, trying to look cool, and be like everyone else" kinda stuff. Going to college as a then single and brand-new mother made me pretty nervous, so for a few years I smoked about a pack a week (if I smoked at all). By the time I was 25, I started smoking on a more regular basis (maybe 1/2 pack per day), and by the time I was about 34, was up to just about a pack a day.

At that point, I went to the doctor and was OK'ed to use medication to quit smoking (don't remember the name of the stuff). It sill took a decent bit of willpower on my part, but by the time I was 35, I was cigarette-free. Without going into a lot of personal details as to all the circumstances, started smoking regularly again a little over a year after that.

Fast forward, now we are here, 14 years later . . . I make cigarettes each day for my husband and myself (switched to DIY about 10 years ago), and I smoke an average of 28 cigs per day (sometimes more like 33 or 34). I don't like the way I feel, and even though I make ours, I know they aren't any better than "store-bought/ready-made" cigs. For me, I also know it is more the habit itself, and not necessarily the nicotine . . . my husband had surgery 4 years ago, and I stayed with him each day for several weeks from about 6am to 7pm, so no smoking practically all day and I had no issues with that. I would just have a cig, maybe 2, on the hour drive to the hospital, and sometimes a couple of cigs after I got home and before getting some sleep. Some days, I didn't have any cigs at all.

Anywho, I want off the cigs. I found the forums here, specifically the sub-forum for the Halo e-cigs. It helped me make a decision, and tomorrow I should be receiving the order for my new G6 Starter Kit and Gourmet Sample Pack of liquid!

Ok Lady, you're in the right place.
My normal recommendation for new vapers looking to quit is to get an mvp2 and a miniprotank2; nowadays there's also the miniaerotank or the nautilus. Also, a cost effective alternative is the eleaf istick.

But since you're a roll-your-own, I'm going to also show you what your future will probably end up like so you might skip some $costs$ along the way.

1: DIY eliquid: the quickest easy way to start diy is buy high strength eliquid and dilute it with PG and VG;
2: It's good to have a couple regulated mods, like a vamo or svd, but a mechanical mod with a kick module makes for a failsafe backup
3: Rebuildables: there are two types of rebuildables: rda's (drippers), and rta's (tanks).
An rda is a good way to learn to build and wick; alot of rta's are a pain to learn with;
the name 'dripper' can be misleading because historically, the first drippers were quite small, but todays rda's are much bigger, and you can chain vape on a dripper for 5min to an hour depending on the dripper, before you need to add more liquid

Redruth

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2014
Crawley, England
Hello FlutterBlu and welcome to the ECF family. Well done for choosing to try vaping over the stinky sticks.
I hope the transition is easy for you. The way you draw on Vape is different to a drag on an analog so be sure to read all about that.
Sorry I can't find the link, maybe someone with more experience than me could post that for you.

Certainly don't be nervous. All sort of questions get asked and answered here. No question is too dumb or silly so feel free to ask about absolutely anything you're not sure of.

Happy vaping :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread