First post .. I am confused a little and have questions >

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flt Simulation

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2014
Florida
I am 65 years old and smoke 2 packs on full strength (red) cigarettes per day. Been smoking since Viet Nam.

I can't stop smoking, but I am willing to try these E-cigs if they can in fact replace my regular cigarettes.

I want an E-cig that tastes like a real cigarette, smells like a real cigarette, and has the nicotine of a real full-flavored cigarette (ie: Marlboro Red).

I don't want an E-cig that smells or tastes like candy, nuts, perfume, apples, bananas, fruit, etc ... Also, I can't see myself walking around and sucking on something that looks like this:

Fr26NWeCig3.jpg

I am looking for an E-cig that [looks] like a cigarette, makes as much smoke as a cigarette, has as much nicotine as a full-flavored cigarette and tastes pretty much the same as a real cigarette.

1. Are these E-cigs that look like a real cigarette work pretty much as good as the large type shown in the photo above?
2. If so, which brand would be the best do you think?
3. How many times would I need to fill it up with liquid if I smoked the equivalent of 2 packs a day?
4. About how much would the daily cost be to use this E-cig (based on using the same as 2 packs of regular full-flavored cigs per day)

Thanks,

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Welcome.

In reality, the type of e-cig in the picture is EXACTLY the type of e-cig you might need to use to stop smoking.

Mostly, people vape on this sort of equipment not to show off, but to get the performance they need. The nicotine yield, the vapour production and the battery life is the no.1 priority.

However, you can go halfway. Why not?

It won't look like a cigarette. If it does, and you are a 2 PAD smoker, I predict it won't work. It will also be ruinously expensive.

I need 2ml a day, you might need 3-5ml a day. The only option is to FILL using your own liquid.

Please forgive my attitude. I wasted hundreds of pounds ($400 or more) on believing the marketing men and their pointless and ineffecive products. I would advise anyone NOT to do the same.

As for kit....

...let the wonderful people of ECF fix you up. I'm the wrong side of the Atlantic Ocean. :) :)

Spazmelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Ohio
I am 65 years old and smoke 2 packs on full strength (red) cigarettes per day. Been smoking since Viet Nam.

I can't stop smoking, but I am willing to try these E-cigs if they can in fact replace my regular cigarettes.

I want an E-cig that tastes like a real cigarette, smells like a real cigarette, and has the nicotine of a real full-flavored cigarette (ie: Marlboro Red).

I don't want an E-cig that smells or tastes like candy, nuts, perfume, apples, bananas, fruit, etc ... Also, I can't see myself walking around and sucking on something that looks like this:

Fr26NWeCig3.jpg

I am looking for an E-cig that [looks] like a cigarette, makes as much smoke as a cigarette, has as much nicotine as a full-flavored cigarette and tastes pretty much the same as a real cigarette.

1. Are these E-cigs that look like a real cigarette work pretty much as good as the large type shown in the photo above?
3. How many times would I need to fill it up with liquid if I smoked the equivalent of 2 packs a day?
4. About how much would the daily cost be to use this E-cig (based on using the same as 2 packs of regular full-flavored cigs per day)

Thanks,

Okay, the questions... I'm not going to be too much help, but I will try.

1. The small ecigs are definitely different from the large ones. You will not have the power or the battery life from a small ecig. They have to be charged more often. There are many that you can get that have charging cases (basically a portable charger that will allow you to recharge when you are out and about).

2. We were discussing the eroll on that other thread I mentioned above. A couple of other suggestions were given as well. Other's I have heard as being good are Volt, V2. Um, not sure what else. You might try an NJoy King disposable from a convenience store and see what you think of that. They would be expensive to use exclusively, but worth a try to see what you think of vaping.

3. This is impossible to say. It is kind of an individual thing, and depends on how much liquid your ecig holds, how much you use it, what strength liquid you get, etc... Many Vapers seem to use around 3 ml a day, but some use much more some use less.

4. Again, impossible to say. Depends on what you get, how much you use it. Vaping can be a lot cheaper than smoking.

Do you have any local shops in your area? That would be a great option for you, so you could go and try out some things and see what appeals to you.

CreepyLady

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Salem, MA, USA
Hi and Welcome to ECF :)

Nothing will taste or smell like a cigarette - these do not combust and burn plant matter, there is no smoke or tar. You would need to be open to tastes good, feels like smoking a real cigarette, smells better, you will smell better and you can definitely find appropriate nicotine strength.

You can find one that looks like a cigarette and produces an equivalent amount or more vapor than a cigarette, but it will taste different to at least some extent.

Not exactly. Nothing the size of a cigarette is capable of equivalent battery life and power output as a larger device, that being said - there are cigarette sized devices that can work - an eRoll has a 3.7V output and is probably the closest option.
Joye eRoll Joyetech eRoll Starter Kit w/ PCC
Its really hard to say, for me personally, I will refill as many times as I *need* to to keep cigarette cravings at bay. An average for many is 3-5mls per day. This would equal 3-5 cartridges per day on an eRoll. They hold about 1ml each.
This will vary based upon the liquid you settle on and the amount you use per day. If we say an average of 4ml per day and you buy large bottles of an average priced liquid (very rough estimate here) 100 ml = 35.00 4 ml per day = is about $1.40.

I hope some of this is helpful for you :)

MissKitty47

ECF Veteran
You may find the ones that look like cigarettes don't have the battery life you'll want for a heavy smoker. Do you have a local vape shop you could try other devices at? Finding what works can be frustrating at first but stick with it. And my veteran husband that rides a Harley uses the sweet flavors after thinking he never would. Don't be surprised if that happens for you later in your journey...and like a Harley ride, it's the journey, not the destination. Mvp2 is more like a box, not a, um, toy looking device with days of battery life. Welcome to ecf!!:)

Sent by my cat through pure magic

Enoch777

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2013
Midwest, USA

That's a definite "NOT EVEN CLOSE!"

Hard to say, you obviously have a very specific set of requirements. The highest powered, best performing, cig-a-like (The ecigs that look like cigarettes) would be the Smokeless Image Volt. At 300 mAh, as far as I know, these are the smallest ecigs that pack the biggest punch. I'm sure someone might correct me on that though with something better.

Again, hard to say. E-liquid does not contain "equivalent nicotine to xx pack of cigarettes." You vape until you're done vaping, then you put it down. Needless to say your consumption may be far less, far more, or even average. I'd say for something like the Volt, using 2 pre-filled cartridges per day would not seem out of the question, possibly more. Check out liquid pricing and you can at least guesstimate what sort of cost that would be to you.

Those cartridges are re-fillable, but only a certain number of times before they are worn out.

If using the volt, it's $8.95 + S&H for a 5-pack of one flavor. Assuming you'd use 2-3 a day, you would be spending roughly $11.93 every other day on liquid cartridges. If you learn how to refill them yourself the price would go down. Note that $8.95 is a "special deal" as the normal pricing is $10.95.

It really seems like form factor is an issue with you, and there's no problem with that. But what you must realize is you may not get the best vape experience which may or may not be enough for you to quit smoking. Yet, we must remember that each cigarette you don't smoke is a battle won with vaping. If it could help you ease back on smoking there's definitely something worth pursuing.

Keep in mind there are plenty of interesting mods out there, including ones that look like cigars, tobacco pipes, and other inconspicuous form factors. Not everyone needs a purple Provari and a genny tank to get a satisfying vape.

I should also mention, there are no e-liquids that taste and feel like cigarette smoke. The compounds and feel of combusted organic plant matter is not an ingredient you can just add to an e-liquid. Vaping will never taste like smoking or feel like smoking. That being said, I have some liquids that are very very similar in taste. Kind of skunky, ashy, cigarette smoke tasting. And yet it's just not the same thing.

There's a whole WORLD of devices and liquids out there for you to try, so take your time and make a well-informed decision before investing your money. There's some amazing stuff, including liquid flavors that I guarantee you would be surprised to find to your liking. Check out WTA (Whole tobacco alkaloid) and NET (Naturally extracted tobacco). My money is that you'd prefer one or the other, or even both. They're quite delicious and don't necessarily have to be overpowered in any one particular flavor. A mild flavor and a good TH makes for one good vape. Believe me.

Best of luck in your vape journey :vapor:

Last edited:

Spazmelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Ohio
Djsvapour made some great points. As a 2 PAD smoker, a small unit just might not cut it for you. However, there are some good options in between a cigalike and the set up that cool dude in the picture is using. You can potentially waste a lot of money chasing a suitable cigalike.

A very popular type of set up for beginners is sort of a medium sized battery like an Ego Twist or a Vision Spinner. Here's a good kit: http://www.myvaporstore.com/Vision_Spinner_Joye_Ego_C_Twist_Combo_p/vvs-c.htm

PaulBHC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
Arizona
That's kit above is a fair deal and just the kind of thing you will need. I have a similar setup and can go most of the day on one battery and fill up of the clear tank thing in the pic (clearomiser). Then I switch to the second set. Small batteries and cartridges will only frustrate you.

I also do not like the non tobacco flavors and have yet to find a real cig flavor. I have found some tobacco flavors that taste like unburned tobacco smells or some that are kind of close. There is a thread about unflavored juice that some people feel is close to a cig in sensation once you get the pg/vg balance and nicotine level adjusted to your liking.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio

Honestly, no, definitely not. One can not expect such a small battery to do what you want it to do. However, they can give you an idea to see if an e-cigarette might help you to quit smoking. Someone who is as heavy of a smoker as you will need a bigger battery (cigar size at least) to give you the cigarette-like experience.

spinnerProtank.jpg Spinner ego battery with a Kanger Protank

vivinovamini-twist.jpg Twist ego battery with a Vivi Nova Tank

I suggest something like this:

A GOOD STARTER SETUP FOR A BEGINNING VAPER

A GUIDE TO JUICE ATTACHMENTS FOR YOUR BATTERY

Once to twice a day. It's easy, and takes only 1 minute of your time.

It's hard to say. It should cost you less than $20 a week for the e-liquids and replacemnent coil heads for the tanks, once you have batteries, charger, and a tank. You should be able to find a good starter setup for under $60 (two batteries, charger, and tanks). Liquids will be additional.

Once you have your gear (batteries, charger, & tanks), your maintanance cost of liquids and replacement coil heads are minimal...much less expensive than cigarettes.

You need to ask yourself how badly do you want to quit smoking. You will need to make some concessions in order to quit. There are no cigarette size batteries which will perform like a real cigarette, at least not as long as you would want it to.

It will not be as simple as smoking; lighting up a cigarette and go. You need to be organized. Charge your batteries, fill your tanks, have enough liquid available between purchases. If you don't have a charged battery, a working tank, and liquid to fill the tanks, you won't be able to use the e-cigarette.

There are no e-liquid flavors which will taste exactly like a particular brand of cigarette. Some may "mimic" a particular flavor, but none can duplicate the taste of burning tobacco and smoke exactly. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/new-members-information/136573-tip-newbs-seeking-tobacco-cigarette-flavor.html

There have been literally thousands of smokers who have been able to put down their cigarettes for good once they have begun vaping an "e-cigarette". The vast majority have had a much easier time if they went with a larger battery like the ego batteries. Nearly all of them now prefer vaping to smoking. Now the question remains, are you willing to make some concessions in order to stop smoking? :blink:

Last edited:

SchmidtyKy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2013
Anytown, USA

Thanks,

Hi there, FLT! Firstly, Thank you for your service (you said you've been smoking since Vietnam, which leads me to believe you are a veteran?) and secondly, welcome to ECF!

I, too, enjoy smoking so much that was not wiling to give it up. About 5 or 6 years ago, a friend got me to try Blu E-cigs, which are an ecig that is about the same size as a real cigarette, but came with prefilled cartridges that were filled with nicotine juice. You just change them out as needed. I quickly came to the conclusion that there was just too much missing from this experience and decided right then and there that e-cigs were not for me. There just wasn't enough throat hit! And I DEFINITELY was not going to carry around one of those giant light-saber looking e-cigs around, NO SIRREE!

Fast forward to last summer, I was visiting a family member, who DOES use the larger e-cigs. She convinced me to try it out. When I did, I couldn't believe it.I didn't think it got any better than that Blu "cig-a-like" experience. Boy was I wrong. So...I purchased me a couple of the larger batteries (not as large as the purple one that guy is holding in the picture you posted) and some tanks I could fill with nicotine liquid.

This was all in the beginning of August. Now, I'm not one to put more pressure on myself, so I still used cigarettes while I was getting used to my new e-cig set up. I smoked about half a pack of cigs that entire first month (coming from a pack and a half a day habit). By the end of the month, I didn't even want my real cigs anymore because my new e-cig set up was doing such a great job of emulating the cigarette experience, only better. I decided I liked it better than cigarettes, which was something I never thought would happen. I truly love cigarettes.

In fact, while looking for devices that had extended battery life, I ended up recently purchasing an e-cig that is shaped like a box. But the experience is amazing. I really never thought I would end up there, but the performance is amazing, and it's keeping me off cigs.

Now, unfortunately, some of the other posters are right. It's pretty much impossible to find a flavor that tastes EXACTLY like the cigarettes we used to smoke. But, there are some that may be close, or some tobacco flavors that really hit the spot.

If you are interested in some of the equipment and juices that worked for me, please let me know and I can tell you where to get them and make some suggestions.

I just hope you will have a bit of an open mind about it all. The larger batteries just have better and more powerful performance. I failed with the small batteries shaped like cigs. I succeeded with the light saber batteries.

Good luck, and wishing the best!

Last edited:

klynnn

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2012
prattville
I am roughly your age and said the same thing when I first started. Believe me once you get started with ecigs you will like those bigger mods. They perform so much better than the little cigalikes, last longer on a charge, and are much cheaper in the long run. The big thing is just get started and you will be like a lot of us long term ex-smokers and say I wish this had been around 20/30/40 years ago.

macaroni

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 5, 2013
Rockledge, Florida, USA
We're about the same age, both like Corvettes, and both had a 2 PAD Marlboro habit ... we could be brothers from a different mother ... lol

But to your questions;

Stay away from the cigarette look a likes, they are not nearly as satisfying, are expensive as hell in the long run, and in my opinion doomed to fail.

If you want something that tastes, smells, feels, & looks like a cigarette, then maybe you really don't want to quit smoking cigarettes (you are big and have certainly earned the right to smoke ... just sayin').

As far as finding juice that tastes like cigarettes .... maybe it can be done ... I've certainly wasted a bunch of money trying to find it ... but I've come to the conclusion of why even try. after all when you think about it you are trying to replicate the taste of a burning tube of leaves.

I understand your dislike of the apparatus in your picture, I don't like the looks of "tube" types of vaporizers either. I prefer what is called a "box" type of vaporizer. This is my "go to device;
Innokin VTR - 101 Vape
Either works as well as the other, and there are many different styles of both types to choose from.

Now for the advice part of my post

Quit trying to duplicate a cigarette .. what you need to look for, is the density or texture of your vapor ... which is why a more robust vaporizer is needed.

You are also looking for what we vapors call "throat hit" (sometimes called TH). A simple way to describe it would be the "harshness" which is another reason you will want a more robust vaporizer. An added feature you should look for is the ability to adjust your voltage (VV)or wattage (VW) for the device, this allows you to dial into the sweet spot for any given juice. The industry standard for pretty much all mid-tier equipment allows for adjusting at least voltage. Another variation in equipment are called mechanical mods ... those are best left to the hobbyists among us. As a beginner look for a VV or a VV/VW vaporizer.

As for the nicotine ... most juice suppliers offer various levels of nicotine in the juice, I guarantee you will be able to find one that satisfies your nicotine cravings.

As for the flavors ... like I said earlier if you want to "chase" that perfect cigarette taste, you can go right ahead, it's your money and your time ... and to be perfectly truthful "chasing flavors" is half the fun of this deal ... but in my opinion you will be doing yourself a disservice if you totally discount the non-tobacco flavored juices .... imagine if you will .... you inhale with the same "feel" of your Marlboro ... you have the same sensations in your mouth and throat as your Marlboro ..... but it tastes like (fill in your favorite flavor here).

And most importantly ...., keep in touch on this forum ... there is a wealth of info and opinions.

Good luck

Last edited:

Flt Simulation

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2014
Florida
Fist, I would like to thank all of you good folks for all the info you have given me. I never thought I would get all the replies so quickly here on this message board.

I am very serious in getting into 'vaping', because if I keep smoking as much as I have been for the last many many years, I just know I will suffer medical problems sooner or later. It still amazes me that my last chest xray showed no obvious signs of cancer or any other problems. In all reality, I should have been dead along time ago for all the cigarettes I have smoked in my lifetime.

Anyway, I learned here that these small 'cigarette size' E-cigs will not be best for me due to there short battery life and small liquid container, so as someone else mentioned here ... I need to look for something more in a 'cigar size' At least that will have a longer lasting battery, and a larger liquid container.

I still can't see myself out in public sucking on one of those large e-cigs that look like some kind of portable [moderated]. :)

I will start searching for something larger than the cigarette sized e-cigs. Maybe something that resembles a medium sized cigar ... maybe they have them that are even colored to look like a cigar? At least it will have a bigger battery and liquid container.

I am not going to start worrying about what liquid / flavor to buy until I figure out what e-cig with charger that will be best for me.

BTW, we have a few of the 'Vape' stores here in SW Florida where I live, but I would like to do some homework on all this before I go into one of these stores. I am also thinking that I could very likely purchase Vape items online cheaper than the local store prices ... Kind of like buying cigars ... much cheaper online vs the local cigar specialty shops.

Ron,

Last edited by a moderator:

Blue Sage

Jan 22, 2014
United States
For someone that really wants to work with the cigalikes and not go beyond them, I'd say you need to have at least 4 batteries if you are a 2 PAD now. And you'd probably go through 3-4 cartomizers (not 2 like most of the manufacturers would say.) But you'll never get the smell of the cigarette. They daily cost unless you are filling your own would probably be more than what you are spending on cigarettes now.

Spazmelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Ohio
BTW, we have a few of the 'Vape' stores here in SW Florida where I live, but I would like to do some homework on all this before I go into one of these stores. I am also thinking that I could very likely purchase Vape items online cheaper than the local store prices ... Kind of like buying cigars ... much cheaper online vs the local cigar specialty shops.

It is a good idea to do your homework first, as some B&M stores can have huge mark ups, so it's good to have at least some idea of what these things normally cost online. However, some B&M stores are fairly reasonable, with minimal mark ups. IMO, for a beginner, it is definitely worth it to go and try a few things just so you can see and hold batteries, get a hands on feel for them. Most also have batteries and clearomizers filled with all their available flavors, so you can taste and try before you buy. To me, this is a money saver versus the shotgun approach of buying sample pack after sample pack online and not liking 50-70% of the flavors I'd get (maybe I am just picky).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread