New and want to start out right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil'sRival

Dec 23, 2013
Texas, USA
I'm doing research trying to find the best e-cig for my wife and I. I've found things I like but I'm a bit confounded by the vast amount of vendors and brands. For now we're getting the same setup so that I don't have to learn two systems and will have an easier time troubleshooting for her over text while I'm at work. My end game is nice modded e-pipe but that can wait.

Okay now onto what I'm looking at.

-Ego/Evod/pen style battery minimum 900 mah

-Clearomizer or clear tank with atty that connects to the bottom. I'd like good ones, but not top end since we'll need a few between us.

-Still looking for a good drip tip for tasting.

The Apollo superior starter kit looks like a good start but I've read mixed reviews. Neither of us care about having the look of a real cigarette and I've read enough about those ecigs to realize it'd be a waste of money. I'll most likely end up buying 4 batteries since she wants hot pink or some other girly color that I won't use. I'm not really sure how many clearomizers we'd need. I'd like to keep everything $150 or less. Can y'all give recommendations on kits or piecemeal if that'd get us better setups?

I have a few places in mind to buy e-liquid from and we'll just experiment with flavors until we find what we like. My problem is the nicotine level needed. She smokes Marlboro NXT at maybe a pack a day. Around what level of nicotine are those? I smoked around a pack a day for a few years but now I smoke cigarettes irregularly. Mainly when I'm drinking and every now and then I'll grab a pack that'll last me close to a week. I smoke a pipe fairly regular now but I'll probably still go with 0-6mg. Is it hard to add nicotine on my own so I don't have to buy double flavors?

Thanks

spaceballsrules

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2011
North Carolina, USA
I suggest getting a Twist combo from MyVaporStore - http://www.myvaporstore.com/Vision_Spinner_Joye_Ego_C_Twist_Combo_p/vvs-c.htm

Go with the Joyetech Twist batteries (900 or 1000 mah batteries) and the EVOD clearos. You might as well pick up some replacement coils as well. - http://www.myvaporstore.com/Atomizer_Head_for_Kanger_Protank_EVOD_Unitank_p/krpt-ah.htm

For tasting, pick up a couple of atomizers - Joyetech Joye 510 Atomizer

Get a couple of drip tips of your choice - Drip Tips E Cigarette

For your wife, I suggest starting at 18mg strength, and for you 6mg will be fine.

Adding nicotine would not be a problem, but in order to minimize dilution of the flavor, you would have to work with 100 mg/ml strength nicotine, which can be dangerous, so you would have to take precautions for mixing and storage. You would need to wear gloves and eye protection, and you would need to store the leftover nicotine in a glass bottle, mark it clearly, and keep it far away from children and pets. You would also nee to get syringes with blunt tips for measuring and be careful with the accuracy of your measurements. Honestly, it would be easier to just add your wife's 18mg strength juice to your 6 mg strength juice to increase the strength, if the flavors are the same.

Nicotine - 100mg/ml Nicotine Solution
Syringes - Syringes, Needles, and Pipettes

Last edited:

catmomma

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2013
DC Metro Area
I would personally recommend an eGo C-twist battery since they are relatively inexpensive, fit a large number of tanks/clearos, come in many colors including girly ones. Keep in mind you will need more than one or two batteries anyway for backup while charging. The Evod is nice but I have a hard time seeing the fill level through the small window. I started with a kanger t3s, its a bottom coil clearomizer with replaceable coil heads, bottom fill. To be very honest, I really like the CE4 clearomizer, again its cheap, comes in colors and is a top fill which I actually find a tiny bit easier to fill. Just remember that whatever you do get, you need backups. Try to do a variety of juices, also since you never know what you will end up liking, order sample kits or 5-10 ml. bottles til you know what you like before committing to 30 or 50 ml. Its part of the fun to try stuff and figure out what works for you, or doesn't. Happy Vaping and congrats for taking the first steps!!

Kaisen

ECF Veteran
Oct 1, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
You're going to be better off piecemealing it

My advice would be Vision Spinners in 1300mah, she will like the Rainbow finish. They are a variable voltage (VV) device which you can control (tailor) to change the power to your tastes. Vision is just one brand, they are all considered "Ego" and all Ego vv's are arguably pretty much the same. Kanger, Smok, Joyetech, and Green Sound are all very high quality brands.

Get at least one tank each that is made from pyrex/glass as there are liquids that can crack/etch plastics. I'd recommend a Kanger ProTank 3.

Get a few plastic tanks for the flavors that won't crank tanks. Keep it of the same brand and coil as the glass. So if you're doing Kanger bottom-coils I'd recommend the Kanger EVOD. The ProTank 3 can accept the Kanger EVOD coils.

There are other brands, and I would personally recommend bottom-coil designs. Let us know what you're considering.

shelleyb

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
rockville, MD
www.shelleybain.com
I agree that the Evod is a good starter -- Once you get into vaping and since you are a pipe smoker there are some e-pipes out there that are nice as well -- Some over your budget, but my go-to pipe is an E-Pipe Mechanical Mod From Smok Tech that you can get for under $30 at Hoosier - I use a epipe stem from Walker Vape Stem on a pro-tank, smok carto tank or similar tank. I honestly use my pipe more than anything else - especially at home. Just a thought if you like the pipe smoking experience -

spaceballsrules

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2011
North Carolina, USA

Dakota Jim

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
in a warehouse buried near Univille SD
You're going to be better off piecemealing it

My advice would be Vision Spinners in 1300mah, she will like the Rainbow finish. They are a variable voltage (VV) device which you can control (tailor) to change the power to your tastes. Vision is just one brand, they are all considered "Ego" and all Ego vv's are arguably pretty much the same. Kanger, Smok, Joyetech, and Green Sound are all very high quality brands.

Get at least one tank each that is made from pyrex/glass as there are liquids that can crack/etch plastics. I'd recommend a Kanger ProTank 3.

Get a few plastic tanks for the flavors that won't crank tanks. Keep it of the same brand and coil as the glass. So if you're doing Kanger bottom-coils I'd recommend the Kanger EVOD. The ProTank 3 can accept the Kanger EVOD coils.

There are other brands, and I would personally recommend bottom-coil designs. Let us know what you're considering.

sound advice with one correction - Protank 3 coils are NOT interchangeable with protank 1, 2, mini or evod or vice versa - protank 3 dual coils have a taller base area where the wicks are so will not screw down in earlier versions and with single coil earlier versions they are too short and do not seal properly so eliquid will leak out the drip tip. this is first hand experience and not what a salesperson told me - now the protank 3 and the new aerotank will have interchangeable heads based on info currently out

I suggest getting a Twist combo from MyVaporStore - http://www.myvaporstore.com/Vision_Spinner_Joye_Ego_C_Twist_Combo_p/vvs-c.htm

Go with the Joyetech Twist batteries (900 or 1000 mah batteries) and the EVOD clearos. You might as well pick up some replacement coils as well. - Atomizer Head for Kanger Protank, EVOD, Unitank

For tasting, pick up a couple of atomizers - Joyetech Joye 510 Atomizer

Get a couple of drip tips of your choice - Drip Tips E Cigarette

For your wife, I suggest starting at 18mg strength, and for you 6mg will be fine.

Adding nicotine would not be a problem, but in order to minimize dilution of the flavor, you would have to work with 100 mg/ml strength nicotine, which can be dangerous, so you would have to take precautions for mixing and storage. You would need to wear gloves and eye protection, and you would need to store the leftover nicotine in a glass bottle, mark it clearly, and keep it far away from children and pets. You would also nee to get syringes with blunt tips for measuring and be careful with the accuracy of your measurements. Honestly, it would be easier to just add your wife's 18mg strength juice to your 6 mg strength juice to increase the strength, if the flavors are the same.

Nicotine - 100mg/ml Nicotine Solution
Syringes - Syringes, Needles, and Pipettes

This is a fantastic post. It's got all you need.

Kaisen

ECF Veteran
Oct 1, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
sound advice with one correction - Protank 3 coils are NOT interchangeable with protank 1, 2, mini or evod or vice versa - protank 3 dual coils have a taller base area where the wicks are so will not screw down in earlier versions and with single coil earlier versions they are too short and do not seal properly so eliquid will leak out the drip tip. this is first hand experience and not what a salesperson told me - now the protank 3 and the new aerotank will have interchangeable heads based on info currently out

I have ProTank 3s....I can assure you that the single coil heads from a PT2 or EVOD work just fine in the PT3 with no leaking or gurgling. I've had them since the first week in November. I toggle back and forth between singles and duals.

However, the dual coils from the PT3 will not work in the EVOD

And yes the ProTank 3, Aerotank, EVOD2, and T3D will all use the exact same dual coil

The Aerotank's airflow control base will accept either single or dual coils, and that base is compatible with the ProTank 3 and ProTank 2 as well.

Devil'sRival

Dec 23, 2013
Texas, USA
First off, WOW! I did not expect so many replies that fast. Thank you all.

I'll look into each of your recommendations tomorrow as I just looked at the clock and have to be up in 6 hours. I'm definitely wanting bottom coil on any tank or clearomizer. Completely see through would be preferable because I'll undoubtedly have the same problem as catmomma otherwise. I was considering the vv but haven't done a whole lot of research to how that works yet.

Ahlusion and backwoodsbrew seem to be the front runners on my first juice order. I need to look at their sample packs though. I'll just buy different nicotine levels if we like the same flavor for now and probably forever. I like to tinker but the whole mixing thing doesn't sound fun. So 18mg wife, 6mg me and try as many flavors as possible.

spaceballsrules

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2011
North Carolina, USA
First off, WOW! I did not expect so many replies that fast. Thank you all.

I'll look into each of your recommendations tomorrow as I just looked at the clock and have to be up in 6 hours. I'm definitely wanting bottom coil on any tank or clearomizer. Completely see through would be preferable because I'll undoubtedly have the same problem as catmomma otherwise. I was considering the vv but haven't done a whole lot of research to how that works yet.

Ahlusion and backwoodsbrew seem to be the front runners on my first juice order. I need to look at their sample packs though. I'll just buy different nicotine levels if we like the same flavor for now and probably forever. I like to tinker but the whole mixing thing doesn't sound fun. So 18mg wife, 6mg me and try as many flavors as possible.

Yeah, welcome to ECF. That's how we do around here.:toast:

Variable voltage just gives you the option of tweaking your vape on the fly. A fixed voltage battery is fine, but it is limiting.

Neither Backwoods Brew nor Ahlusion offer samplers, but the juices from either vendor are fantastic. Just grab flavors that sound tasty to you. Don't forget about steeping, though. Flavors change over time, so if you don't like a flavor at first, don't toss it. Put it in a drawer and let it do it's thing, and come back and try it later.

Everything you wanted to know about steeping and then some

Devil'sRival

Dec 23, 2013
Texas, USA
I like the Smok e-pipe and I think I'll go with that. I guess we'll have different setups after all.

I'll get an extension or two and use 18500 or 18650 batteries. I'm still looking for the extension in black but only finding it in chrome.

What version of pro tank is best or a different one? I'd prefer a large glass tank and Evod type plastic. So interchangeable atty would be a plus. What ohm for this setup?

I'm still looking for what to get my wife. I like.the I taste v3 but I'm not sure if she's going to like the look of it. I'm leaning vv now that I've looked into it more.

spaceballsrules

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2011
North Carolina, USA
The Protank is good and uses the same coils that I linked to earlier. Those coils are interchangeable throughout the Kanger line, and can be used in the Protank 2, Mini Protank 2, Unitank, Unitank Mini, EVOD, MT3s, and T3s.

The Protank 2 uses a the single coil heads, whereas the Protank 3 uses dual coil heads, which will produce more vapor. They will also go through juice much faster. These are the heads - Long Stem - Atomizer Head for Kanger Protank 3 - Dual Coil

I am confused. Do you want glass or plastic? The Protank 2, Protank Mini, and Protank 3 are all Pyrex glass. The Unitank, Unitank Mini, EVOD, MT3s, and T3s are all polycarbonate plastic.

I suggest starting with the 2.5 ohm heads.

EDIT: You may also be interested in the new Aerotank from Kanger. It is like a Protank 3 in that it is dual coil (it has been reported to accept the single coil heads as well) and is Pyrex glass, but it also has the added benefit of an airflow controller. http://www.vapedojo.com/collections...cts/kanger-aerotank-airflow-control-dual-coil

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread