Minty e-cig contains carcinogen called pulegone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
You wan t that from a VICE article? They were unacceptably vague even on the basic stuff.

Yeah... And Isn't that a Fundamental Problem when Most Media Outlets want to do an Article that Involves a Science Study.

They want to present, Basically, a piece of OP-Ed and have people perceive it as "Hard Science".

• Agree
Reactions: bombastinator

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Gotcha...

But besides the obvious Numerical comparison, I was wondering things like...

How Many e-liquids were Examined?
What were Mean/Median/Mode values observed?
What were the Testing Protocols?
Units?
Units per Volume?
Units per Inhalation?
Units of Absorption?
Published OSHA/NIH/etc guidelines for Long Term Effects?
Published OSHA/NIH/etc guidelines for Inhalation Toxicity?

Things like that?

You obviously don't understand how modern science works. To answer each of those questions will require at least one additional study per question that they need funding for. If they answered all the questions upfront, how could they justify additional funding and studies?

Reactions: 10x sugar

jandrew

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2013
Winnipeg
Gotcha...

How Many e-liquids were Examined?
Units?
Units per Volume?
Units per Inhalation?
Units of Absorption?

Things like that?
Text of the actual study is not free:

Risk Analysis for Pulegone in Mint- and Menthol-Flavored e-Cigarettes and Smokeless Tobacco Products

So we only get what tidbits and quotes the authors have released in their press releases and/or interviews with the press.

The fact that they promote how pulegone is a carcinogen and is now banned by the FDA as a food additive while true, strikes me as irresponsible science at best. It has been banned essentially on a technicality based on the Delaney clause of 1965 which allows for ZERO risk: that is, any study which shows carcinogen effects, regardless of exposure levels, means an additive must be banned. The study used to petition the FDA to ban pulegone used very high levels of pulegone --- toxic levels high enough to kill many of the study rats.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
You obviously don't understand how modern science works. To answer each of those questions will require at least one additional study per question that they need funding for. If they answered all the questions upfront, how could they justify additional funding and studies?

I see what you mean.

And I guess if a Media Outlet did provide Meaningful Information backed by Published Peer-Reviewed Studies, it would be Harder for them to Justify Hyperbolic article titles.

Which is the Name of the Game when Advertising Metrics are based on Click Counts. Or when a Media Outlet is trying to Push Agenda down viewers throats

Reactions: 10x sugar

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Text of the actual study is not free:

Thank you for the Link. But I'll pass on paying for what was actually Studied.

And instead, I will place my Trust that a Media Outlet will give me a Fair, Honest, and Unbiased account to how using an e-Cigarette may or may not effect my Health.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I see what you mean.

And I guess if a Media Outlet did provide Meaningful Information backed by Published Peer-Reviewed Studies, it would be Harder for them to Justify Hyperbolic article titles.

Which is the Name of the Game when Advertising Metrics are based on Click Counts. Or when a Media Outlet is trying to Push Agenda down viewers throats
Why is this on my screen in green?

RedForeman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2010
Georgia
Gotcha...

How Many e-Liquids were Examined?
Units?
Units per Volume?
Units per Inhalation?
Units of Absorption?

Things like that?
I posted in another, similar thread that I'd like to see the cancer scores of other items we consume on a routine basis. What would the number be for a spoonful of saccharin? a grilled cheese sandwich? Pine pollen in the spring? Spraying Roundup into the wind without eye protection?

Why do I have a feeling I probably don't want to know the cancer scores of all those things?

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I posted in another, similar thread that I'd like to see the cancer scores of other items we consume on a routine basis. What would the number be for a spoonful of saccharin? a grilled cheese sandwich? Pine pollen in the spring? Spraying Roundup into the wind without eye protection?

Why do I have a feeling I probably don't want to know the cancer scores of all those things?

You forgot Johnson's Baby Powder.

chohan

Earthbound Misfit
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
NC Foothills

Pine pollen would be interesting.
I used to eat that stuff by the spoonful.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
As per usual it seems the problem isn’t actually science, it’s science warped by marketing an dthe unscrupulous.

According to the wiki there were multiple tests on the material. The first one labeled it GRAS. The second one didn’t, but used far higher doses over a shorter period and it was pointed out that the amounts used were so high they could cause problems simply by volume alone. Science done too quick and too cheap used by people with a dog in the fight.

Reactions: Sloth Tonight

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
A charcoal-grilled steak?

• Agree
Reactions: RedForeman
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread