New battery upgrade from i stick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Looks are in the eyes of the beholder. ;)

I prefer using regulated mods which use replaceable external batteries. With mods like the iStick, the manufacturer chooses the battery cell, and in my experience they don't always know what's the best or safest available. The mods with internal non-replaceable cells use LiPo chemistry batteries. These are not "safe chemistry" batteries, as they are what are often used in remote control cars. These batteries can burst into flames or explode if they go into thermal runaway.

This is why I prefer using external IMR batteries. They are a safe chemistry, high drain, and don't require protection circuitry like ICR batteries do. They may still vent hot gas in failure, but not as dramatically in flames or explode like a LiPo or ICR battery. Just something to consider when making your choices.

In addition, once IMR batteries eventually die, you can just replace them with a new battery and not have to replace an entire mod. IMR batteries require a box battery charger.

There are a number of high wattage regulated mods in tube or box format which accept external IMR batteries.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Ive read about mods that take 18350 batterys
Do you recharge these or dispose of them?

The 18350 batteries are external rechargeable batteries, requiring a box battery charger. Keep in mind that smaller batteries have less amps CDR than an 18500 or 18650, so this size battery limits the coil resistance you can use. I don't recommend sub-ohming with an 18350 size battery or mod. They do quite well with normal resistance coils (1.5 - 2.0 ohms), though.

smoktech-gripper-18350.jpg
gripper-2.png
Smoktech Gripper mech mod and 18350

attachment.php
Provari regulated mod and 18350

Hans Wermhat

Vaping Master
Jun 9, 2015
Texas
These are supposed to be damn near indestructible.
Invader Mini by Heatvape - Eciggity

This is what I have. Great mod, but a few issues you should look at in reviews. Will be future proof for you for a while. I put the update on it today making it a iPV4S, essentially.
iPV4 100 Watt Box Mod - Eciggity

I hear good things about this one. May be my next purchase.
Cool Fire IV by Innokin - Eciggity

All of these use 18650 batteries that you take out to charge, so you will also need a charger and a few batteries to keep in rotation.

Big Me

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2014
England
Within your budget there's the Innokin Disrupter (50W) for around £40 with extra batteries (only usable on the disrupter) costing C£15. This does not have TC (Temperature Control)

There's the MVP Pro (60W) full kit (including tank) for around £60 or the express kit (no tank) for £45. This has internal batteries and is non TC

There's the Pioneer4U IVP 3 Li 165W which is £80 and has TC. But you will need to buy pairs of batteries and marry them (use them together, charge them together) and also buy a battery charger.

Also available is the Sigelei 150W TC (temperature control) for £70 but, as above, you will need to buy pairs of batteries (and marry them), plus buy a charger.

I'll leave the technical stuff regarding sub-ohm, amp draw, ohms law, temperature control etc. to the experts but I will link you to Steam Engine | free vaping calculators as it's a really good resource.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
So the 18650 batterys are the ones needed for sub ohming

Yes. They are the only ones with adequate amp power to use on sub-ohm resistances.

And how long do the batterys last
That depends upon what type of load you are placing on them. I have Sony VTC4 and Samsung25R that I use at 0.6 ohms which last me almost an entire day of almost chain vaping. The lower you build you coil resistance, the more the amp draw of the battery.

Reactions: Big Me

erikbal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2013
Olean, NY
These are supposed to be damn near indestructible.
Invader Mini by Heatvape - Eciggity

This is what I have. Great mod, but a few issues you should look at in reviews. Will be future proof for you for a while. I put the update on it today making it a iPV4S, essentially.
iPV4 100 Watt Box Mod - Eciggity

I hear good things about this one. May be my next purchase.
Cool Fire IV by Innokin - Eciggity

All of these use 18650 batteries that you take out to charge, so you will also need a charger and a few batteries to keep in rotation.

The coolfire has an internal battery that's not replaceable.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Reactions: navydavy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread