New Calculator to try

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoggy

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
WI, USA
I need to reorganize my stash again (!) and want to add the stock location to each ingredient. Is there an easy way to see that when you're looking at the recipe rather than pulling up the ingredient individually to check? I know you have an extensive stock of flavors, what do you do?

Another way to have this is under the menu (this is what I do): View -> Display Ingredient/Manufacturer as -> Display Ingredient Location with Name

This will do precisely what you want.

WhiteHighlights

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2013
MetroWest Boston, MA, USA
Another way to have this is under the menu (this is what I do): View -> Display Ingredient/Manufacturer as -> Display Ingredient Location with Name

Thank you! I knew there had to be an easy way to do this. :thumbs:

WhiteHighlights

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2013
I considered adding it to the flavor name; as in "Apple (1-G-23)(TFA)." This would allow the location to appear in the flavor name box. But, it was just too cumbersome for my tastes. And, if anyone is working from a small screen (like a tablet, or smart phone) it would likely remain hidden.

So, I left it in the location field. It is not a big deal really, to see it. One of the later upgrades HotRod added; was a "hot key" function, that is activated by right clicking on the flavor name field (in a recipe). This opens a drop down menu. Click on the second to the last line item; and the ingredient window automatically opens to that specific window, and thereby displays the location. Close it; and move on to the next one:
View attachment 771647
View attachment 771649

That is what works best for me.:D

Although it might be a bit clunky, I'm going to try adding the location to the flavor name first. I generally decide what recipes I feel like mixing, set up all the flavors and then mix the recipes one after the other. The longest part of this process is setting up the flavors. When I get into a big mixing session, I'm pulling a lot of flavors! I'm hoping to save the step of using the hot key to look at each ingredient.

If this way is too cumbersome (the name does look odd in your example), I can revert to using the hot key.

Thank you for all your support. It's much appreciated.

Reactions: IDJoel

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID

Awesome @Hoggy; you taught me something too! I never knew that was there. This is wonderful; because you can turn it on and off (adding & removing location from the name field) at will.

Thank you!:D:thumbs::D

Reactions: Hoggy

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Although it might be a bit clunky, I'm going to try adding the location to the flavor name first.
With @Hoggy's last revelation; it is quite simple to try... if you already have the location data entered.:D
I generally decide what recipes I feel like mixing, set up all the flavors and then mix the recipes one after the other. The longest part of this process is setting up the flavors. When I get into a big mixing session, I'm pulling a lot of flavors!
I liked the idea of mixing multiple recipes simultaneously; but was never able to get the hang of it. I was routinely adding the wrong amount, or wrong ingredient, to the wrong bottle. Or, forgetting an ingredient, altogether.:facepalm:

I respect that it works well for some; I am just not one of them.:blush:

Using a location system, makes fast work, of repeated removal/replacement. And, an added benefit of taking only one concentrate at a time is; there is only one open spot to return it to.:D
If this way is too cumbersome (the name does look odd in your example), I can revert to using the hot key.
This is how recipes are displayed; with the "Display Ingredient Location with Name" checked:
upload_2018-10-7_13-54-50.png

This is how recipes are displayed; with the "Display Ingredient Location with Name" unchecked:
upload_2018-10-7_13-57-49.png

Instead of manually changing each ingredient's info manually; it is a simple matter of checking/unchecking this one easy option any time you want.:D

Note: When changing this option; I do seem to be required to close the program, then re-open it, in order to display the change.
Thank you for all your support. It's much appreciated.
Community collaboration; it is a wonderful thing!:thumbs: If you hadn't asked your question, Doggy never would have replied, and I would have remained unaware too. So, I thank you!:D:wub::D

Reactions: Hoggy

WhiteHighlights

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2013
I liked the idea of mixing multiple recipes simultaneously; but was never able to get the hang of it. I was routinely adding the wrong amount, or wrong ingredient, to the wrong bottle. Or, forgetting an ingredient, altogether.:facepalm:

LOL. I don't make them simultaneously either. I set up each bottle to mix into with the flavors in a row behind it, in the order that they appear in the recipe. Then I mix each recipe one at a time. Between the flavors being in order and the color coding in the recipe screen, I usually catch myself before a goof! Bottle mixed, put on label, set aside and move on to the next. It's more of an assembly line LOL.

I like the toggle on/off idea for the location info. I could just switch it on when I'm ready to mix. All the darn DIY threads here have me constantly adding in new recipes to try. Like you, I track who/where they came from. Ones that I know I'm going to modify from the get go, I write the original recipe in the notes too as a reference point.

• Love

Hoggy

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
WI, USA
Note: When changing this option; I do seem to be required to close the program, then re-open it, in order to display the change.

I noticed it will also change if you switch to a different recipe - or even click the current recipe, and just select that same recipe again. I also do that last part when changing percentages around, in order to reorder them by percentages (due to my setting for that).

I used to do the simultaneous recipe thing once in a while, but as said, it gets confusing easily. Although I don't think I ever added wrong amounts to wrong bottles, it still got too confusing nevertheless. So I just don't do it anymore. Plus, when I did that, I was using EjMU - and multiple windows for multiple recipes. But since juice Calc has all recipes in one file, I don't want to risk making changes and then juggling which one gets saved without overwriting the other. So I just don't do it.

• Winner

Michael_S

Jun 9, 2018
Hello

I need your help.

Actually, I never installed the Calculator. I only used the portable version. I extracted the files into an download folder which is quite messed up. Now I wanted to move all the necessary files to a new folder. From there I was able to load the last backup from the mydocuments folder. Some settings I had to do again, like standard nicotine strength, show inventory. Is there a way to backup / restore settings?

But now, that's the main issue. I lost my shopping list. I still get access to it when I start the program from the old folder. But not in the new. The list is just empty. I can't identify which file contains the shopping list.

So I tried to move again all the files. But now, the program got some issues. Everything is blank and somehow frozen. lol. I messed it up.

But still, it runs everything fine on the old folder. I wouldn't mind to install the software and restore all the recipes (that seems to be the easiest part), settings and shopping list.

Thank you.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

EDIT: I got it.

Ok, I just created an portable folder. File - Portable Installation - Create / Update Portable Folder.

For some reason, the shopping list was created empty. But I found it in the old folder Data. I missed it due the chaos in the first place. So, now all is good :)

Edit II:

SteepingRecipes.xml is had to move manually. I moved also CustomReports.xml. But I don't know what it contains.

Last edited:

Hoggy

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
WI, USA
Is there a way to backup / restore settings?

Glad you got things sorted. Prior to this, I thought all the other stuff was in the main recipe file, but it appears not to be the case now.

But to backup settings, the is an option in the 'backup options' tab titled "backup options". That will at least backup the "Defaultoptions.xml" file, but not the others like 'steeping', etc.

Michael_S

Jun 9, 2018
But to backup settings, the is an option in the 'backup options' tab titled "backup options". That will at least backup the "Defaultoptions.xml" file, but not the others like 'steeping', etc.

Thank you. I'll check it out. Now that I have all the necessary files sorted at the same place, it's easy just to copy those files to do a backup manually.

I only have about 20 recipes and 70 flavors. But would be a shame to lose something since I did some effort to keep everything up to date.

Hoggy

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
WI, USA
I only have about 20 recipes and 70 flavors. But would be a shame to lose something since I did some effort to keep everything up to date.

Yeah.. And especially at 750 flavors, that would be... Catastrophic. :shock:
So I do the auto backups to a folder that's synced to a Google Drive, on top of the main recipe file being synced to a different Google Drive.

TomKr

Oct 20, 2018
Is there a way to enter all your ingredients in an excel spreadsheet and import it. The ingredient entry system is ok, but for bulk it take ages. I can easily copy and paste from my existing sheet.

I realize there is a learning curve to HotRod and I am prepared to struglle through it, just do not want to waste time on stuff that could be avoided.

If I use this software I will donate.

TomKr

Oct 20, 2018
a Little bit of feedback on my journey and learning curve. First I captured/listed all my possible manufacturers. I listed it as example Capella and gave the CAP abbreviation as Alias. Now I sit with a duplicated list containing names and aliases. Not a train smash, they probably refer to the same Manufacturer entry anyway.

Then I used the Excel template to add my inventory. Works a charm as I already stated and I have all my ingredients with amounts on hand, on the DB.

Then I imported one eJuiceMeUp recipe as a test. Luckily I did one only, as it adds all the ingredients in the recipe as new items in your inventory. Went and deleted the recipe and then those 8 new entries and then proceed with entering the recipes manually.

Adding a recipe is very easy, but a challenge when an ingredient is not already on file. When an item is not on file, you use the 'Add ingredient' button and in the 'Select Flavor' window that open, type the name of the ingredient as you want it or find it on your vendor site. Then select Update in stead of the normal OK button. A window opens to add or update an ingredient. The new ingredient name is not populated and you have to overtype the ingredient name. a Shortlist appear (from what you typed in the previous screen). Select it. It gets added as a nicotine with an alias. Select manufacturer in the box below and then click 'rename' A new line is created on file. Continue to do alterations you want in this screen. Save and exit. Select Flavor screen now show the correct newly added ingredient and you click OK. It is then added to the recipe and continue like normal.

And that was a massive job! But now it is done and we can move on. It is not that difficult to figure out, one must just think and apply your mind! I would say make regular back-ups, so that should something unexpected happen, you can learn thru it and just restore the back-up and not make that mistake again.

Overall I am still very happy and look forward to the rest of the journey, like what is going to happen when I press that 'Make' button! Will do a back-up before hand! haha Speaking of which. I did not use the back-up feature yet and that should be my next item to explore.

Hoggy

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
WI, USA
Was going to ask where do you do the donation, but found it in the software itself, under help, is an option to donate via PayPal. Hope this is still active and goes to the correct person.

Please let me/us know what transpires with this... I'm getting ready to make a very large donation soon. And I would highly prefer to make sure it's going to the correct person, as well! :tumble:

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
a Little bit of feedback on my journey and learning curve. First I captured/listed all my possible manufacturers. I listed it as example Capella and gave the CAP abbreviation as Alias. Now I sit with a duplicated list containing names and aliases. Not a train smash, they probably refer to the same Manufacturer entry anyway.

Then I used the Excel template to add my inventory. Works a charm as I already stated and I have all my ingredients with amounts on hand, on the DB.

Then I imported one eJuiceMeUp recipe as a test. Luckily I did one only, as it adds all the ingredients in the recipe as new items in your inventory. Went and deleted the recipe and then those 8 new entries and then proceed with entering the recipes manually.

Adding a recipe is very easy, but a challenge when an ingredient is not already on file. When an item is not on file, you use the 'Add ingredient' button and in the 'Select Flavor' window that open, type the name of the ingredient as you want it or find it on your vendor site. Then select Update in stead of the normal OK button. A window opens to add or update an ingredient. The new ingredient name is not populated and you have to overtype the ingredient name. a Shortlist appear (from what you typed in the previous screen). Select it. It gets added as a nicotine with an alias. Select manufacturer in the box below and then click 'rename' A new line is created on file. Continue to do alterations you want in this screen. Save and exit. Select Flavor screen now show the correct newly added ingredient and you click OK. It is then added to the recipe and continue like normal.

And that was a massive job! But now it is done and we can move on. It is not that difficult to figure out, one must just think and apply your mind! I would say make regular back-ups, so that should something unexpected happen, you can learn thru it and just restore the back-up and not make that mistake again.

Overall I am still very happy and look forward to the rest of the journey, like what is going to happen when I press that 'Make' button! Will do a back-up before hand! haha Speaking of which. I did not use the back-up feature yet and that should be my next item to explore.
Congratulations on getting it all set up! That was quite the task.:thumbs:

You seem to be good to go, so the following suggestions are likely to be little help to you, but may be useful to someone else looking to start using JuiceCalculator (aka. JC).

As you learned; JC is more recipe driven vs. ingredient driven. If someone were to ask me, I would suggest to first import recipes, and let the ingredients auto-populate. Then, add any remaining ingredients in your inventory, that are not yet affiliated with any recipe(s). Finally, use the Find & Replace feature (found in the Edit tab) to clean up any ingredient naming issues.

JC has a ton of different features, shortcuts, and capacity to personalize to our own preferences. The hardest part is learning them all (and then remembering what was learned:facepalm::D). Exploring by clicking on tabs, and their links, is rather safe as well as informative. Most functions are reversible, or ask for conformation before applying the change.

The one exception I know of; is the Ingredient Editor. Changing data in this window; is immediate, and permanent... so use with care.

JC is also one of the best documented free calculators I have ever come across. Reading through the Help file answers most questions.:)

I'm glad you are good to go. Feel free to share any future questions in this thread. We have a pretty good support group that helps one another as best we can.:D

Reactions: 28if

eskapo

Jul 13, 2013
ph
A few months back I started a thread about a new calculator that was available. Since that post I have received a lot of good input and have made several updates and added new features. I encourage you to download and try out the latest version. All feedback is welcome.

Download links:
Juice Calculator

A summary of its features:
Define and save ingredients
  • PG/VG percentage levels
  • Nicotine level (pre-mix ingredients)
  • Drops/ml and grams/ml
  • Cost of ingredient
  • Notes associated with ingredient

Define and save recipes
  • Nicotine, PG and VG level
  • Selection of defined ingredients to add
  • Notes associated with the recipe
  • See resulting amounts to add (drops, ML’s, grams) and total cost of the recipe

Modify an existing mix
Have you ever created a mix and would like to change the nicotine level, increase or decrease a flavor percentage, change the PG/VG ratio or add additional ingredients while maintaining the same ratios of your other ingredients? The “Modify recipe” option will do this. After making your changes you will be informed how much of each ingredient to add to bring your existing mixture to the new levels.

Build a recipe by entering ingredient amounts
Have you ever mixed something up by throwing together several ingredients and wanted to create a repeatable recipe by specifying the amount of each ingredient added? The “Build recipe” option will do this. Enter the amount of each ingredient added and then save the new recipe.

Includes a calculator to “Dilute nicotine” to a different mg/ml level and dilute to obtain a different PG/VG ratio.

Export your recipe(s) and ingredients to Excel.

Import your existing recipes from other popular calculators.

Search your existing recipes to find recipes that contain one or more of the ingredients specified.

Before you start using the calculator, make sure you setup your preferences on how the calculator operates by going to the “Options” window.

View attachment 262394
cant download it, it says virus detected

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread