New Calculator to try

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnspack

ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2014
Nelson B.C.
Just thought I should let all know, that this app runs fine under linux using wine. Currently running Kubuntu 17.10 with wine devel 3.7 with no mono, and dotnet 4.0 installed. Been using this almost from the beginning under windows, but had to go to linux, and was hoping I could bring this with me. I could!

engmia

Apr 29, 2016
Installing HotRod's juice Calucator on Mac OS and Linux
Hello everyone, I hope you guys are doing alright. Just wanted to repost my updated guide for getting the calculator to run under other operating systems. I've removed some redundant steps (which makes the install an extremely easy 5-step process) and provided some troubleshooting information in terms of latest versions.

I've been running this perfectly since Fedora 24, currently on Fedora 28. The experience with running the calculator is pretty much perfect. There are no known bugs to me (there was one bug which has been fixed), and it beats anything you will run in a virtual machine both performance and storage wise. There are some UI elements that are a minorly broken and rarely you have to click two times for your click to register, but nothing which affects the functionality or the usability in any way. I'm fairly certain this will run well on any other distribution or Mac OS running WINE.

How to install
I recommend using the official packaged winehq-stable-301 (please find more details on why in the code snippet below. If you already have wine installed you will find some useful information regarding this there as well.
Code:
I recommend using the official packaged winehq-stable-301. Current wine-staging-381 (both the official packaged winehq one and the one in the Fedora repos) gave me issues when trying to install dotnet, so if you run into any troubles make sure to use wine-stable-301.
Furthermore, you don't really need the patches and performances fixes which are constantly added to the wine-staging versions, which are mostly aimed at games/new apps, so you're better off running the stable version.
This guide assumes that you are running a clean install of wine. If you are already using WINE in 64-bit prefix, you should create a new 32-bit prefix to avoid any issues and use the appropriate prefix you want. Although dotnet 40 and the calculator installed and ran just fine in clean 64-bit prefix yesterday in my tests, it is not really officially recommended and you might run into troubles, but feel free to test.
If you need wine-staging-381 since you are playing games and you want the performance boosts and fixes or any other reasons -- you can install different WINE versions (or try it with the version you have currently installed obviously). Try looking into Lutris for playing games or the WineHQ FAQ on information on how to install multiple WINE version. Your distro might have some implementation of this itself.
Basically you just need a clean prefix with dotnet installed using winetricks (mono doesn't work, the juice app crashes when you try to open it). No workarounds, fonts or extra packages are needed.
1. Install WINE and winetricks
2. Open terminal
3. WINEARCH=win32 winetricks -q dotnet40 //if wine prompts you to install mono, gecko or other packages after you run the command, just click cancel on the alerts
3. wine /home/user/Downloads/Setup.exe //input the actual directory containing the Setup for the juice calculator
5. exit

The whole install should be only a few minutes long. On wine-staging-381 dotnet install went on forever generating errors which is no good, at this point you can assume your install is stuck. Ignore any fixme: errors that are generated in the terminal. The installation of the calculator itself only takes a split second (it was so quick that I thought it didn't work the first time).

Bugs

• Sometimes you need to click two times for the click to register
  • Some UI elements have minor bugs
-------------------------
If you guys have any questions or run into troubles, feel free to ask in the thread. I will gladly help when I have the time.

Last edited:

HotRod19579

ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Round Rock, Texas
Version 6 is available for download. Changes include:
  1. Ability to assign a category to a recipe and filter your list of recipes by category.
  2. Added another copy to clipboard option (right click the recipe window) for plain text.
At the top of the window is a "Recipe categories" dropdown. When you first install this version the only option available is "All". When you provide a category value for your recipe(s), the new categories provided will be added to the dropdown. Selecting a category will filter the list of recipes showing only the recipes that have the selected category value.

This is my first attempt at providing a way to categorize and filter recipes. Your feedback is welcome.

k2zs

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2014
Rochester, NY
It allows you to store the application and your file on a thumb drive or other removable writable media and open on any compatable device instead of installing the app onto a single PC
Ah... That could be really useful! I've been trying to get the guy that introduced me to DIY to try it out. Now I could go there with my current setup and demo it for him, that will make him a believer ;)

HotRod19579

ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Round Rock, Texas
I just made V6.0.2.3 available. There is a new menu option available "Tools->Import recipes and ingredients from starter kit". When selected a recipe starter kit will be downloaded and a window will open giving you the option to import recipes and ingredients from the start kit.
The recipe items in the starter kit were provided by other users of the calculator and I added the ingredients provided by munchichee in the previous post.

HotRod19579

ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Round Rock, Texas
Version 6.0.3.0 is available. Changes include:
1. When importing ingredients and recipes from the starter kit the ingredients are now sorted based on your "View->Display Ingredient/Manufacturer" value.
2. Added the ability to import the latest version of the Juice Grinder files.
3. Made some changes to the primary window to allow more ingredients to display without scrolling.

On the 3rd change, you will notice a bar labeled "Notes/Results/Warnings" with an arrow button on the right side. This will allow you to collapse and expand this area of the window providing more room to display ingredients.
I also added the same bar labeled "Filter recipes by" to allow that area to be collapsed and expanded.

Please provide feedback on the collapsing change. If it is not liked I will try to come up with another mechanism to display more ingredients.

HotRod19579

ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Round Rock, Texas
Version 7.0.0.1 is available with some minor changes and fixes:

1. The "Last made on" date was not being updated when the recipe was printed.

2. When the recipe was printed and the inventory updated, the new inventory amounts were not being displayed on the window.

3. Internal fix, under rare circumstances the calculator would launch but the window would not be visible.

4. Provided an option to print the "Last made on" date when printing a label.

HotRod19579

ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Round Rock, Texas
Version 7.0.0.5 is available for download. Changes include:

1. When importing from a text file the URL will be added to the notes.

2. Added the ability to paste text from the clipboard into a text box and import the text into the calculator, Tools-->Import from text file-->Import pasted text.

3. When displaying the current inventory the "Alarm value" was not showing a proper value when the "Threshold" was set to 0. Fixed.

4. Added a "Storage location" field to the ingredient window.

5. Added a new menu item "View-->Display Ingredient/Manufacturer as-->Display ingredient location with name". If checked, the ingredient location will always be appended to the name of the ingredient when displayed. It will be displayed as "Ingredient name (ingredient location)".

I find this mixing management system to be in a class of its own. The attention to detail and feature additions is implemented in such a way that the program can be used by anyone of any skill level without a huge learning curve. I have requested several additions and some were added to the program for which I am grateful. Interestingly though some of the improvements that Rod has added were suggested by other users or by himself. I had no idea how useful some could be. Never would have thought of them myself. Thus I find myself thanking not just Rod but the other enthusiastic users that have helped put this application above the rest.

Tutor

Feb 19, 2011
Misery (Missouri)
Not trying to suck-up-to the creator... just tossed another measly dollar or two their way though... after the months and months of use, if I didn't use the calculator for nothing else other than a database for recipes it would be worth it, but if you even attempt to add in all the changes that keeps going into this... well... thanks for the program

HotRod19579

ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Round Rock, Texas
Version 7.0.1.9 is available.

All changes are related to label printing and include:

1. Added some additional print options for printing labels, Tools->Options, Print defaults tab, Advanced label printing defaults. You can specify the printer to print labels to, the paper type to use and the label definition to use.

2. Added a new button on the main recipe window called "Print label" which uses the values specified in the options and will print the label for the recipe that you are viewing without any additional prompts.

3. You can assign a hot key to the print label function using "Tools->Hot key options", Window=Recipe window, Function=Print label button using default values, and assigning a key to use as the hot key.

4. Added a check box on the "Print label advanced" window. When checked it will use the default printer defined in the options when printing the label.

5. Added a new paper type, Brother TZe-251.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
One more minor annoyance that I think I saw someone else mention: When adding flavors to a recipe or looking for them in the manage ingredients window: If I type in 'Cinnamon Danish' it would be nice if it would suggest the 'DX Cinnamon Danish' that I have in my inventory.
Hey Fozzy,
My workaround for this has been to rename my DX's from DX "name" to "name" DX. So your DX Cinnamon Danish would become Cinnamon Danish DX. For me, this places the ingredient right beneath the non DX listing. Easy-peasy!

Hoggy

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
WI, USA
Sorry for any interruption, but I just discovered this fantastically amazing super wonderful incredible gem of a program, after all these years! Where has this been all my life!?! :) Well, vaping life anyhow.

I've been struggling along with eJuiceMeUp for several years, and now that I'm finally seriously stepping up my DIY game into more than one [or two] flavorings at a time, was finding it to be very tedious - always having to type in the same ingredients ad nauseum. It becomes untenable. Don't get me wrong, EJMU is superb for a beginner, but for more advanced users it just isn't enough anymore. Had I know about this program, I'd have started using it quite a while ago - that's for sure.

So I'm just popping in to say a massive THANKS to Hotrod for providing this program, for free no less :w00t:!! I don't drink anymore myself but, :toast:. As soon as my flavor-ordering pipeline clears out a bit, I'm going to be donating a bit. And that's coming from someone who is disabled with no income! I currently started donating plasma to be able to buy more flavorings.. And after I started, while running head-first into that untenable situation with EJMU, I found this incredible piece of work.

As I'm learning about this program, it still continues to confound me at the level of detail and thoroughness this programs goes to. It even goes to new heights with it's inventorying system. And this label making business is over my head ATM, but it's nice to know of this option for big-batch making going forward. It's almost as if a DIY vaper was able to make a program! ;)

So.. Thank you SOOOooo very much, Hotrod!!

HotRod19579

ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Round Rock, Texas
Version 7.0.2.2 is available. Changes include:
1. Adding recipe ingredients to the shopping list was working incorrectly. Fixed.
2. The last made date was not printing when selected in the label printer. Fixed.
3. Added a new paper type, Brother-TZe-241 for label printing.

HotRod19579

ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Round Rock, Texas
Version 7.0.2.3 is available. Changes include:
1. Added an "Unassigned" value to the "Recipe category" dropdown. This will filter and only show recipes that have not been assigned to a category.
2. When using the arrow keys in the notes area of the recipe window and the ingredient window, the window would beep when you tried to move the cursor beyond the area of the entered text. The beeping was turned off.
3. The recipe dropdown on the main window will now auto-size when the window is made wider.
4. The notes area on the ingredient window was made wider and a little taller.
5. When viewing the shopping list and adding ingredients an erroneous message was being displayed stating that the ingredient was already in the shopping list. Fixed.

HotRod19579

ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Round Rock, Texas
I was just going to say that I have made a change, available in the next version, that will trap any errors that Windows generates when I am asking Windows what printers are installed. I am glad you found the issue but I am going to trap the error so that it doesn't happen to someone else.

HotRod19579

ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Round Rock, Texas
Wow, shame on me for being away from the forum for a few days. Let me try to catch up on some of the posts and replies. It was tough putting together the list of open items. Please let me know if I overlooked anything.
Idjoel that was a great tutorial. Perhaps add it as a help file in the app??
With Idjoel’s blessing I will see what I can do about adding the tutorial to the calculator.
Is it possible to have flavor base recipe increase ingredient amount in the ingredients value when I remake the flavor base a second time. I've been inputting it manual
Currently there is no “linkage” between the ingredient base recipe and ingredient base ingredient. Let me see if I can come up with any solutions to this.
Hey sorry for the late answer and thanks for having a look at this. Doing some tests, this does seem to strangely only affect WINE/Linux setups (didn't you mention about wrong calculations reported by a WINE/Mac user or I'm mistaken)?

Please see the attached screenshots for more clarification. Both are the same juice file, running on a newly installed calculator in WINE (the same file I linked you to). Opening the same .XML in a Windows 10 install displays the right calculations (WINE compatibility is set to Win10 indeed)
I have worked extensively with a couple of users that had problems that were only occurring in WINE. Not having a machine running WINE made it extremely difficult to test/fix the problem. I was unsuccessful. I don’t know how to tackle the problem. I created several test builds which would dump out information to help me but never could isolate the problem.
I have a couple more questions...I tried to find these option myself, but had no luck.
Is there a way to edit the "Category" and "Manufacture" list?
ie...I create a category named "concentrate" but what to delete it or rename it to "Stone"
Also with manufactures... I need to delete and rename some.
Finally, what are the benefits of using the "Folder Name" tab when updating a ingredient? and how does it work?
I apologies for all the questions, but I want to be efficient and know everything about this calculator.

Thanks,
VapnJunkie
As described in a follow-up post, manufacturers can be updated and categories are auto-deleted when no longer referenced. Let me look into an option that would allow a category to be renamed.

I noticed a post by @Hoggy that I can't find to reply to. The post referenced remembering window sizes and placement. The calculator should be remembering that last size and placement of a window and restoring it the next time it is opened. Is that not happening?

There was also some discussion about listing ingredients/recipes and Excel. You may not have noticed but when you export a recipe (or recipes) to Excel, a second tab is created in the Excel spreadsheet with all of the ingredients listed.
Also, in the last version I added an option to “Tools->Build/generate custom report”. I provided two sample reports, one for recipes and one for ingredients. This option will allow you to select which ingredient or recipe values that you want written to a text file. This option may be useful for people who do not have Excel. The file is a text file that can be viewed in something such as notepad and since the text is tab delimited, you could also import the text file into something such as Excel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread