ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2011
Tacoma,WA
i call it the Collar Carto Puncher.

take a shaft screw collar.
shaft-collars-34.jpg

..you can buy them here McMaster-Carr , harbor freight etc

unscrew the screw that is in...find a hardened steel bolt/screw that will fit inside of the hole..get fancy if you want.. you may have to grind the end to a fine point(depending on what you are using..)

it will look like this when you are done

pshud.jpg

bamsbbq

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2011
Tacoma,WA
Is that 1/4" bore?

you know i cant actually tell you..i never measured or paid attention to what it was in size.

i know "someone' measured a carto with a micrometer and found them to be around 9mm so the collar size 3/8ths of an inch one would be perfect. 9mm is about .354 of an inch so 3/8"(.375) would be the ideal size without being too big

bamsbbq

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2011
Tacoma,WA
Thanks for sharing that mate! I am not happy with my saddle valve punch and I am not paying 40$ for something to make a hole. I wonder if home depot or lowes has these?

i tried getting them at home depot but they are an online only purchase from them..they will ship it to the store if you pay online...i never checked Lowes though.

get them here... $4.99 for 2...a little pricey Tractor Supply - Search Results for shaft screw collar

Search screw collar - Grainger Industrial Supply

bamsbbq

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2011
Tacoma,WA
Ah I see now, but It don't work with a normal drill

yes with a very very small drill bit..better to use a drill press..then you have to be careful to to go too deep and damage the insides of the carto...and you also have to be able to hold the carto securely..this is just a quicker easier option and cheaper than buying a half decent drill bit.. :)

Fernand

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2010
Californeea
Alex, I was using 1/16" drill bits. And I do mean bitS. At $2.50 a pair for the unobtainium-tipped ones it was adding up, I was drilling two or three cartos on my Dremel "drill press" before I had to toss the bit. It's very tough stainless. The "cut off wheels" are the way to go with a Dremel, just mount the carto in an old battery as a heat sink, cut a slit, and the important thing is it doesn't distort the body, which always happens with the saddle valve deal, and can cause leaks in a tank. Mount a vacuum cleaner head to catch the filings.

This looks like it might at least work better than the saddle valve if I can find a 3/8" Shaft Screw Collar. Worth a shot.

bamsbbq

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2011
Tacoma,WA
most have a home depot close...you can order on online because it is usually only found online from HD...get it shipped to your local store...no delivery charge usually.. 91 cents

3/8 in.T303 Stainless Steel Set Screw Collar-C-025 at The Home Depot
Alex, I was using 1/16" drill bits. And I do mean bitS. At $2.50 a pair for the unobtainium-tipped ones it was adding up, I was drilling two or three cartos on my Dremel "drill press" before I had to toss the bit. It's very tough stainless. The "cut off wheels" are the way to go with a Dremel, just mount the carto in an old battery as a heat sink, cut a slit, and the important thing is it doesn't distort the body, which always happens with the saddle valve deal, and can cause leaks in a tank. Mount a vacuum cleaner head to catch the filings.

This looks like it might at least work better than the saddle valve if I can find a 3/8" Shaft Screw Collar. Worth a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread