Not open for further replies.

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    With lots of new coilologists (builders ;)) trying out RTAs or RDAs for the first time - I figured a thread dedicated to helping the newbie builders and not so newbie builders may be a good thing.

Not sure on the what wire would give you the best result?

Think wraps are something you get from Subway?

Not sure what the :censored: a clapton coil actually is?

Ask away!

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    First step is to find a suitable RTA for you - if you prefer direct lung, have a look through this amazing resource:
    Top air RTAs
    If you prefer mouth to lung, browse this thread:
    Small RTA for MTL

You will also need either wire, or pre-built coils, cotton and tools. These can all be bought at most online vape stores, so once you settle on an RTA - we can give you links for the rest.

For a box mod - it depends on the wattage you will vape at
    eg:
    low wattage under 30 watts - single 18650 battery mod, like the Geekvape Aegis Solo mod
    medium wattage 30-60 watts - single 21700 battery mod, like the Vandy Vape Jackaroo mod
    high wattage over 60 watts - double 18650 battery mod, like the Vaporesso Gen

MetalSteve

Mar 10, 2019
    I have a newbie building question: how should one go about breaking in a new coil and/or wick?

With my pods (Zero, Caliburn) and drop-in atomizers (Nautilus), I prime the coils by letting them sit after filling (adding liquid to the cotton in drop-ins), taking some primer puffs, and slowly raising the wattage as applicable.

When working on my new RTA (Berserker 1.5), I dry burn the coil after I've positioned it in the deck, saturate the wick with liquid, fire a couple of times, then fill the tank. I start at a low wattage and slowly raise it (beginning around 10w and ending 15-20w).

I've found that I'd have to take many primer puffs between firing it. I'll get a "cottony" or metallic taste otherwise. I also noticed that if I continue to do this for a few ml, the flavor improves and I don't get dry hits so much.

Is there something else I should do? Should I expect the initial cotton or metallic taste?

Zaryk

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 25, 2018
    Ohio
    I have a newbie building question: how should one go about breaking in a new coil and/or wick?

With my pods (Zero, Caliburn) and drop-in atomizers (Nautilus), I prime the coils by letting them sit after filling (adding liquid to the cotton in drop-ins), taking some primer puffs, and slowly raising the wattage as applicable.

When working on my new RTA (Berserker 1.5), I dry burn the coil after I've positioned it in the deck, saturate the wick with liquid, fire a couple of times, then fill the tank. I start at a low wattage and slowly raise it (beginning around 10w and ending 15-20w).

I've found that I'd have to take many primer puffs between firing it. I'll get a "cottony" or metallic taste otherwise. I also noticed that if I continue to do this for a few ml, the flavor improves and I don't get dry hits so much.

Is there something else I should do? Should I expect the initial cotton or metallic taste?

I find with rebuildables just using it breaks it in. How long it takes depends on the coil and cotton used. I use rayon and break in is nearly instant, maybe a couple of hits. What you are describing should be fine. Though I never felt the need to take primer puffs on rebuildable coils since I saturate them fully before using it.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 25, 2014
    toledo ohio

That’s about how I do it, I juice it and fire in a short burst a few times to get the cotton good and juicy, and gently raise the watts and hit it a few times. I don’t go as easy on home rolled coils as store bought, don’t find a need to. But I do taste cotton for a little while. I use SS316 and I get zero metallic taste. Not sure what wire you use, so whether that’s normal or not I can’t say... you may need to burn it off a little more, but I’d say you should ask specifically about that wire type.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 25, 2018
    Ohio
    That’s about how I do it, I juice it and fire in a short burst a few times to get the cotton good and juicy, and gently raise the watts and hit it a few times. I don’t go as easy on home rolled coils as store bought, don’t find a need to. But I do taste cotton for a little while. I use SS316 and I get zero metallic taste. Not sure what wire you use, so whether that’s normal or not I can’t say... you may need to burn it off a little more, but I’d say you should ask specifically about that wire type.
    I think the metallic taste is more of a personal thing. I get a nasty metallic taste off of all types of SS wire. I use nichrome and don't get that taste happening.

MetalSteve

Mar 10, 2019
    . Not sure what wire you use, so whether that’s normal or not I can’t say... you may need to burn it off a little more, but I’d say you should ask specifically about that wire type.

I'm using 28ga kanthal. My current coil reads 1.17 ohms. This is the second coil I've wrapped and the third build I've tried so far.

Reactions: stols001

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    I do pretty much the same as you described - dry burn, wick, drench the wick, pulse it, then prime it. I'm mtl too, so I also start it at 10w. The cotton I use now has no taste (cotton bacon prime) - but I did get the cotton taste with cotton pads. I kept it to a minimum by adding in another step:

Once you have pulsed it - blow on the coil, and juice your wick again and pulse it a few times at 10 watts. Do this a couple of times, then try it with the tank on. If bit still needs breaking in, just repeat it.

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 19, 2019
    USA
    I do pretty much the same as you described - dry burn, wick, drench the wick, pulse it, then prime it. I'm mtl too, so I also start it at 10w. The cotton I use now has no taste (cotton bacon prime) - but I did get the cotton taste with cotton pads. I kept it to a minimum by adding in another step:

Once you have pulsed it - blow on the coil, and juice your wick again and pulse it a few times at 10 watts. Do this a couple of times, then try it with the tank on. If bit still needs breaking in, just repeat it.
    I just set up my first RTA and I did not get any cotton taste I was using a ss precoiled 1.03 ohm coil and I also was using cotton bacon Prime I wonder if there is a reason why some people swear by it then again people swear by the cotton pads and I'm getting some of those my next purchase as well so I have an assortment I do think the pads look easier over all the work with but if I'm going to be tasting cotton for a half a tank then I'm going to stick with the cotton bacon LOL. I tend to be very taste sensitive and probably pretty picky any strange taste and I cannot get over it so I was actually rather surprised that my first attempt being so clean and clear and flavorful

Daniel Forsyth

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Mar 26, 2019
    Victoria, Australia
    I just set up my first RTA and I did not get any cotton taste I was using a ss precoiled 1.03 ohm coil and I also was using cotton bacon Prime I wonder if there is a reason why some people swear by it then again people swear by the cotton pads and I'm getting some of those my next purchase as well so I have an assortment I do think the pads look easier over all the work with but if I'm going to be tasting cotton for a half a tank then I'm going to stick with the cotton bacon LOL. I tend to be very taste sensitive and probably pretty picky any strange taste and I cannot get over it so I was actually rather surprised that my first attempt being so clean and clear and flavorful

I just use plain cotton and any taste will go away very very quickly, most of the time I don't get any cotton taste at all.
    If it's more convenient for you to use normal cotton then I really think you should:D

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 19, 2019
    USA
    I just use plain cotton and any taste will go away very very quickly, most of the time I don't get any cotton taste at all.
    If it's more convenient for you to use normal cotton then I really think you should:D
    When you say normal cotton does that mean like a cotton ball? I have heard of people using cotton balls and even cotton buds. At least cotton is one thing that I don't have to worry about purchasing all at once because they're going to ban it LOL

Daniel Forsyth

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Mar 26, 2019
    Victoria, Australia
    When you say normal cotton does that mean like a cotton ball? I have heard of people using cotton balls and even cotton buds. At least cotton is one thing that I don't have to worry about purchasing all at once because they're going to ban it LOL

Just the normal cotton pads.
    Although I'm a bit lazy and thought I'd save some snipping and now using Vapefly shoelace cotton:D

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread